WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hello all..Grayson Highlands trip

Hello all,

I couldn't find a place to introduce myself, so I figured I would start off with a bang!! My wife, a buddy of mine and I ventured to Grayson Highlands to celebrate the 4th and my birthday. We did what I have heard referred to as "the pine mountain loop". 12 miles Northbound on the AT, to the Pine Mountain trail, back to the AT. I had a blast. My wife and I have done short day hikes, such as to Laurel Falls in the Dennis Cove area, and I have done Low Gap to 91 through Shady (SOBO) I. AM. HOOKED.!!! Below is the link to our pictures. We are on vacation two weeks from now, and are planning to hike Carvers Gap to 19e. The Roan Highlands look BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks for reading, and enjoy the pictures!!! If anyone is in the Johnson City TN area, and would love to do some hiking, shoot me a message. As long as I'm not confined to my cubicle, I will be ready to go!!

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Images

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I can't wait to hit Grayson Highlands; always wanted to hike the AT and the surrounding trails there. Great photos.

Yes!! Definitely get to Grayson!! It is truly a life changing experience!!

Hey there and welcome! I live in the same area as you and do pretty regular day hikes and sections around here. Grayson Highlands and the surrounding area is very beautiful. There are tons of good loops and little side trails there. All the others you mentioned are my weekly circuit pretty much, haha! You're going to love that section from Carver's to 19E. Last time I did it I went a little further to Dennis Cove. You can jump off the AT at a forest road crossing and link up with the Laurel Fork trail that runs to Dennis Cove Falls. Makes it around a 40 mile hike and is a good couple of days away from any cubicle.

Images

Grayson Highlands is where I was first introduced to the AT. Fell in love, and decided to start section hiking. 611 miles later, it's still my favorite place on the AT.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Adurbin---I too just returned from a backpacking trip into the Mt Rogers backcountry, pulled a 19 day trip from Partnership Shelter and went south to Wilburn Ridge and Mt Rogers. It's a great place to hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's try the new fangled and more complex image feature:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/6/b...IP-123-499.jpg

How do I get an image to appear full size on my post??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tipi, that sounds like a blast!! I can't wait for the Roan Highlands. I've wanted to do it for quite some time.

Big Dawg, I can easily see how one could become addicted to the AT via Grayson Highlands. I was addicted at first sight of Laurel falls, Grayson ups the ante by a long shot!

Nitegaunt-Dennis Cove falls is my favorite set of falls in the area. The hike is a blast with the cable crossings!! I love it.

++ New Posts ++