WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Ive had an atmos 65 for a few hundred miles , and I find it very comfortable, distributes weight well.met a NOBO in ME in august who had the same pack, he said he had to replace the one he started with (which was several yrs old when he started his thru), but he stuck with the exact same pack, which told me a lot.I'm usually betweeen 25-30lbs w/food and water depending on the season.The only criticism i have is that when you put the bladder in the sleeve, it takes up a lot of space due to the curvature of the mesh back. some have put the bladder between the pack and the mesh fram, but I like to carry a 3L bladder and it doesnt fit.In spite of this, I still have enough room for all my gear.

I saw lotsa ULA Catalyst and Circuit. I carried a Catalyst and it was mostly half empty but very comfortable. I whittled down my gear a bit and am gonna use a ULA Ohm 2.0 this year.

Garlic
    Images

Finding your pack is likely going to be trial and error, just like the rest of us, I bet. And it is a moving target as you modify your gear on a long hike. Lots of thru hikers end up with a different pack from what they started with. If there was a perfect pack, there would only be that one available.

One revelation I had, as I hiked the AT with my 9-ounce frameless silnylon pack (the Gossamer Gear G-5, now discontinued) and was carrying 20 pounds comfortably with it, was that I had a nearly 40:1 payload to pack ratio. Try that with a five pound pack. I was able to use an ultra-light pack comfortably and it really made a difference for me. The pack itself was negligible.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My best piece of advice for you is to never commit to a pack until you have tried it on. Preferably for at least an hour with weight comparable to what you intend to carry in it.

I went on a pack hunt last spring, and trying it on is the only way to know if it will work. For every 5 I tried on, only 1 would feel okay even without weight. I probably tried on 20-30 packs until I found "the one." For me it was mountain hardware women's tadita 50. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Women%27s-Tadita%E2%84%A2-50/OU4066,default,pd.html

Find something that fits right for you. And although counting pounds on a pack can help reduce your overall weight, don't worry to much about a few oz difference between one that's comfy and one that isn't.

One thing to consider is starting with something crappy and pick up a good pack at Neel Gap. They have the best selection of pack I have ever seen and a professional staff to help with your selection.

Journal Entries

Best pack is the one that is comfortable on YOU and holds YOUR gear.

It is easier to carry ultralight gear in a conventional 6 lb pack, than to carry conventional heavy gear in an ultralight pack.

Without knowing your gear list, it is impossible for anyone to recommend even a starting list of packs to look at.

I'll join those that recommend ULA packs. I used Gossamer Gear packs for the PCT and the first half of the AT, but those lasted about one thru-hike each. Switched to a ULA Circuit around half way through the AT and just finished the CDT with the same pack.

ULA packs just seem to me to be a perfect balance of light (while not the lightest options), durable (not the most durable, but durable enough to last, I would say, a couple of thru-hikes each --- plenty), and with the right set of features (stuff I actually care about and use, little that weighs me down for no good reason).

With well over 3000 trail miles on it now, my ULA Circuit is still the pack I'll be using in future for some time, I think; it certainly shows some wear but nothing looks close to "wearing out".

I'd add that customer service is excellent for this small domestic company as well.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I would agree that ULA probably does 'everything' the best when it comes to long-distance hiking...however, they are far from the best 'all around' pack in my opinion. They do lack a number of things that I've outlined in other threads, but all around, for something like the AT, they are probably the all around best when it comes to features, comfort, fit, durability, suspension and simplicity.

Images

I used an Osprey Atmos 65 on both of my thru-hikes. It remains, for me, the most comfortable pack I've ever used.

Images

I used a Golite Gust for my AT thru. I can't imagine carrying a pack that weighs five pounds before you even put anything in it! I wish I could find another Gust; if I had known they were going to stop making them I would have purchased several more.

I saw a lot of thruhikers on the PCT with the ULA packs and not one of them could fit everything inside the pack. They had stuff hanging off every which way. I'm not comfortable hiking like that, I much prefer that everything important be stored securely inside my pack.

I switched to an osprey exos 34 in daleville, va during this years thru hike and absolutely love the pack. the most packed i had it was entering the 100 mile wilderness in me, but it easily fit 6 days of food + all my gear(26lbs at that time, but usually was at 20 max). i would recommend the 46 tho, unless you have are a minimalist. it weighs only a couple ozs more then the 34, and has padded hipbelts, which some people complain about the 34, but they probably have the pack overloaded anyway.
    Ula packs are extremely popular for a reason as well. good support, good exterior storage and awesome hipbelt pockets. the circuit and the catalyst are a little overpriced i think though...

Images

I would have to agree with others that the pack should be what fits you and feels the most comfortable. I use a Gregory Z65 .

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Echraide View Post
    I used a Golite Gust for my AT thru. I can't imagine carrying a pack that weighs five pounds before you even put anything in it! I wish I could find another Gust; if I had known they were going to stop making them I would have purchased several more.

I saw a lot of thruhikers on the PCT with the ULA packs and not one of them could fit everything inside the pack. They had stuff hanging off every which way. I'm not comfortable hiking like that, I much prefer that everything important be stored securely inside my pack.
    That doesn't sound like it's the pack's fault.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    That doesn't sound like it's the pack's fault.
    The ULA sacrifices volume to be lightweight, which is unnecessary. Any pack can be UL if it's small enough.

Backpack might be last thing you should buy. It really has to fit your gear and style. I have an MLD prophet and I would recommend going frameless. Ultralighters in the house!
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

Hike smarter, not harder.

The ULA sacrifices volume to be lightweight, which is unnecessary. Any pack can be UL if it's small enough.
    All I can say is I have a Catalyst, Circuit, and Conduit, and I don't have stuff hanging off. I pick the right size pack for the job. So was the Gust replaced by the Jam2 or Pinnacle?
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 11-16-2011 at 20:41.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

The Gust is irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ULA Conduit.
    Totally agree on this one. Like I think you said before "thru-hike packs designed and made by thru-hikers". Got the new one in 500 denier. Well worth a couple of ounces.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Really? My Circuit has the same capacity in volume as the Atmos 65, it's capable of carrying the same weight, and weighs 23 ozs less.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Yes. I'd like to see them make a pack with a 5000+ capacity for about that weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++