WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What backpack to use for a thru hike.

I would like to find out what backpack most people use on the AT. I am not an ultra light back packer but do wish to cut down on my weight that I carry. I now have a aether 70 by Osprey that I like very much but it weights 5lbs. I have looked at the Osprey Atmos but have seen some bad comments about it. It would be almost the ideal backpack so I am looking for something about the same that some one has used on the AT. People say the Atmos has a frame that cuts into the lower back so that would never do on the AT.

What have you that have hiked or plan to hike the AT use as a backpack? I a worried about the warm clothes that I have to carry in the beginning of the trail and the size backpack it will take.

Can ant one out there provide any suggestions?

Tomman
    [email protected]

Images

I've used an Atmos 65 for a few hundred miles, and have not had any problems. It's a comfortable pack IMHO. I've recently lightened up, and am now using a GG Gorilla. If I were to thru hike, I'd either use a GG, ULA, or Zpacks backpack
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tomman View Post
    . . . .I now have a aether 70 by Osprey that I like very much but it weights 5lbs. . . .
    Ok, so the pack weighs 5lbs. Heavy, but not horrible. How's the rest of your pack weight? This will be central to what pack you purchase, since some packs with less robust suspensions can't haul a heavier load. Does all your gear fit in the Aether with room to spare or is it packed in like sardines? This will also be a key issue in pack selection. If you pick a pack that doesn't hold all your trash or doesn't carry it comfortably, then you're back to square one before you even set boot to trail. [/QUOTE]

. . . .I have looked at the Osprey Atmos but have seen some bad comments about it. . . .People say the Atmos has a frame that cuts into the lower back so that would never do on the AT. . . .
    The Atmos is a great, comfortable, well regarded pack that you see frequently on many trails, the AT included. Instead of going by "what people have said", give one a try and formulate your own opinion. You might be surprised.

[QUOTE=tomman;1177752] I am worried about the warm clothes that I have to carry in the beginning of the trail and the size backpack it will take. [/QUOTE]If your insulation system takes up so much space in your pack that it's a big issue, then you should probably take a hard look at said insulation system and give it some serious thought.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I use an Ospery Atmos 50 and have nothing bad to say about it - I often do long trips over 100 miles with it and it has never cut into my lower back. In the winter, oddly enough, I carry an older Aether 70 liter Osprey Pack. I think if you start in the winter, you could use the pack you have and then transition to the 50 liter pack when it warms-up - bounce box it somewhere. Go to an outfitter store and try it on.

The Osprey Aether 70 is great pack and is what I use for 3-4 week section hikes (in June). I find it fits all my crap well and offers great comfort with a fully loaded 40 lb. pack. Only thing I add is a Granite Gear hip pocket for my camera. My two big but non-heavy items are my fleece and my pillow (I started carrying a pillow this year and it is worth the weight and space!).

Hike smarter, not harder.

ULA Conduit.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ULA Conduit.
    Went from an Atmos 50 to a ULA Conduit, and am very happy with the pack's comfort, weight, volume and carry capacity.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I did several hundred miles in a Granite Gear Vapor Trail that was very comfortable. I'm actually trying to sell it because I stepped down to a smaller pack size. If interested let me know. [email protected]

I would like to find out what backpack most people use on the AT. I am not an ultra light back packer but do wish to cut down on my weight that I carry. I now have a aether 70 by Osprey that I like very much but it weights 5lbs. I have looked at the Osprey Atmos but have seen some bad comments about it. It would be almost the ideal backpack so I am looking for something about the same that some one has used on the AT. People say the Atmos has a frame that cuts into the lower back so that would never do on the AT.

What have you that have hiked or plan to hike the AT use as a backpack? I a worried about the warm clothes that I have to carry in the beginning of the trail and the size backpack it will take.

Can ant one out there provide any suggestions?

Tomman
    [email protected]
    I have the Atmos 50 as well, love the bag, never had any problems with the cutting into the back issue you mentioned. After researching here and on my own I am leaning towards a ULA bag for my upcoming thru in a couple years. For weight and and cubic inches I like the Catalyst.

Journal Entries

I have a ULA Circuit a Ariel 65 and MDL Phrophet Love them all

I carried a ULA Catalyst on my thru hike last year and loved it. It had, however, more capacity than I ever needed so I now carry the ULA Circuit and I love it, too. I still have plenty of room for all my summer gear and believe it would handle my winter gear as well. FYI, my winter pack weight with three days of food and one liter of water is approximately 28 pounds, so YMMV.

Also, be sure to buy the correct size ULA pack for your frame. I am 6' tall and used a large Catalyst. Jeff at Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, VA, worked with me during my hike last year, and informed me that the correct size ULA pack for my frame is a medium. When I purchased my Circuit, I made sure to buy the medium size. The pack fits like a glove!

Good luck on your choice and your hike!

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

At the rist of being ridiculed, I use an external frame pack. Call me crazy, but I like having easy access to its many zippered pockets. Also, I like being identifiable from half a mile away!
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

I salute you, it takes guts to stand out! There is something appealing about the external frames, its great that you have one that you like.
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Images

I used a GG Vapor Trail for the southern 1,000 mi. IMO--any 60 liter pack should work.

Default External

Quote Originally Posted by Stats on the AT View Post
    At the rist of being ridiculed, I use an external frame pack. Call me crazy, but I like having easy access to its many zippered pockets. Also, I like being identifiable from half a mile away!
    Alpenlite external frame of course ! A cool and dry back and a joy to pack and unpack

Hike smarter, not harder.

Alpenlite made the coolest packs.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Don't be fooled by the weight of a pack alone. If pack A weighs twice as much as pack B but has a better suspension system and distributes the load more naturally over your bodies center of gravity then the load you carry will feel lighter and you will conserve more engery so the heavier pack will be the better choice.
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

EXTERNAL

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried a few of the lighter packs that were pointed out but they just do not feel right to. Thus I would be afraid to use one on a long distant hike.

Don't bring a Kelty Sante Fe.Not unless your going to remove both aluminum stays and replace with struts from thermarest camp chair which normaly you would'nt bring (to heavy).Also replace top floppy pouch with body of thermarest campchair that you normaly would'nt bring (to heavy),And then pull the stuff'in out of hip belt and shoulder straps,making hip belt into pockets for socks and whatever.Butcher back pad and remove,office on yoke...eeeh 50/50,remember it's (your/my)pack. Almost forgot there's a little bitty lable way down at the bottom(left side facing yoke)don't need that.3lbs. on the money.Or you could just plunk down some change and buy a ULA circuit that's what I'd do.YMMV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++