WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspect hiker

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    How many hot dogs did you feed him?

Was at Hawk Mountain Shelter....no hot dogs LOL....don't think that hot dogs would have solved the problem!

geek

Images

any sitings of this creep lately?
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

This Guy was at Trail Days this year. He was hanging around and camped behind the Trail Talk Group. The way I dress he thought I was a Ranger and tried very hard to be overly friendly. Deffinitley unsavoury. Others said he was a Vet with Vietnam issues, maybe so but he didnt hesitate to steal firewood from our trailer and ingratiate himself for food. Damascus police were aware of him too. strange they didnt pick up on any wanted warrants for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I met Teardrop on my first night of my thru-hike this year and mentioned him in my trail journal. He had a teardrop tattoo near his right eye.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=339035
    I have been retired for 8 years so my memory may not be right, but the teardrop tatto I think was gang sign meaning he killed someone. Maybe someone that is now involved in gang investigation or a present LEO can claitify that.

Default welll what do you know i have him on cam!!

I just checked my pics and i have a pic of his camp and of him at our area!!!
    IMG_5461.jpgIMG_5467.jpg
    I took the pics just out of some sense of discomfort. How odd.

Images

There is at least one different Papa Smurf, Randy Smith. He's a good guy, who posts on Hammock Forums and BPL, and hikes on the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Turtle View Post
    I have been retired for 8 years so my memory may not be right, but the teardrop tatto I think was gang sign meaning he killed someone. Maybe someone that is now involved in gang investigation or a present LEO can claitify that.
    Normally a tear drop tattoo below the right eye is a mark indicating you have killed someone, generally in prison. Being an LEO who has dealt with gangs, this guys doesnt fit in with any gangs I have dealt with, but you never know.

Images

• The teardrop tattoo has different meanings.

"When they were first worn they meant that the wearer had been incarcerated and or killed someone while in or out of prison. As times have changed however, the teardrop has come to symbolize a friend or fellow gang member or family member that has died while the wearer is incarcerated.
      Now however the teardrop seems to have become a fad, which granted has gotten people in trouble.
      It has also been used as a gang identifier. If it was on the right it meant you were a Crip or part of the Folk Nation, on the left meant Blood or People's Nation."
      Taken from link below.
    Source(s):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph…
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

YIKES! I could swear that I saw someone who looks like this hiking from Cabela's toward Port Clinton just the other day. Might have had a daypack, but nothing else.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    YIKES! I could swear that I saw someone who looks like this hiking from Cabela's toward Port Clinton just the other day. Might have had a daypack, but nothing else.
    Why didn't you offer him a ride?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubrit View Post
    IMG_5461.jpgIMG_5467.jpg
    which fellow is he? because the person sitting down looks like JB to me.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    which fellow is he? because the person sitting down looks like JB to me.
    If you look at the picture in the OP and the picture from Trubrit you will see that they are not talking about the guy sitting down.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Trubrit View Post
    IMG_5461.jpgIMG_5467.jpg
    YEAH, that is him standing in the back right with the brown Aussie hat on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Why didn't you offer him a ride?
    I should have -- I was heading AWAY from the trail!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

It appears that the FBI wants to question this person in regards to the death of SCOTT LILLY in VA

Images

I didn't get a close look at the guy. But I feel like a few weeks back in August I saw a guy with a huge pack like this alongside the road near a Love's rest stop around Middletown / Harrisburg area off RT81. The guy had a monstrosity of a pack on and was looking to hitch hike. I didn't get a close look at him but he looked sort of like the guy in the pics above. It could just be my mind playing games, but I figured I'd post since he seems to have been in the area around the time I saw him.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Hubby and I met Teardrop the evening before we walked into the NOC this spring - don't recall exactly, the 2nd week of April I believe. That mountain that has a plaque to the ranger that fought a fire, you know that one? We met him just before the plaque.

He was camping along the trail, had a monstrous fire going, had a bandanna/do-rag, and was extremely cordial (though a wee bit crude) and gregarious. We came across his stuff (he was a few hundred yards uptrail from the Circus crowd) then he traipsed up from the water source and started talking our ears off. Going on about being in Vietnam and his sister and money and Agent Orange (?) and how a bit of beer every day keeps the pain away. I didn't feel all that uncomfortable around him, but hubby sure didn't like him (though we gave him our friendly faces). Never saw him again after that.

Hubby wasn't all that surprised to hear that he's wanted for questioning for Mr. Lilly's death - Mr. Lilly lives just 1 town over from us, so it's extremely unsettling to consider that it could have been US out there instead.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Last I heard, he took off towards PA. Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    Hubby and I met Teardrop the evening before we walked into the NOC this spring - don't recall exactly, the 2nd week of April I believe. That mountain that has a plaque to the ranger that fought a fire, you know that one? We met him just before the plaque.

He was camping along the trail, had a monstrous fire going, had a bandanna/do-rag, and was extremely cordial (though a wee bit crude) and gregarious. We came across his stuff (he was a few hundred yards uptrail from the Circus crowd) then he traipsed up from the water source and started talking our ears off. Going on about being in Vietnam and his sister and money and Agent Orange (?) and how a bit of beer every day keeps the pain away. I didn't feel all that uncomfortable around him, but hubby sure didn't like him (though we gave him our friendly faces). Never saw him again after that.

Hubby wasn't all that surprised to hear that he's wanted for questioning for Mr. Lilly's death - Mr. Lilly lives just 1 town over from us, so it's extremely unsettling to consider that it could have been US out there instead.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post

Can you tell us what people are saying who live in your area? If Scott Lilly grew up there, I'm sure that there is much comment. What the FBI has done by deciding that they must keep even the most basic of facts from us whom they encourage to hike on, using the normal precautions, creates an untenable situation for us, I think. And it makes me think Scott Lilly was a target rather than killed at random if, you know, he was killed rather than just died naturally. Each of us is left with our own speculation and, perhaps, led to believe that the safest policy is to hike stealthily and to avoid shelters and campsites.~~Kinnickinnic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Can you tell us what people are saying who live in your area? If Scott Lilly grew up there, I'm sure that there is much comment.
    That's just the thing!

It wasn't mentioned by our local news stations until I wrote to a reporter for ABC 57 after seeing the news here. The local paper, South Bend Tribune, ran a quick little blurb about it, but our local news has pretty much ignored it after the announcement.

I put the word out on my Facebook page when it happened and again a few days ago . . . . nothing yet so far. : (

Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++