WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default best section for fall hiking?

What is the best section to do four weeks in the Fall (Sept/Oct)? I've already done from Springer to the NOC and don't really want to do the Smokies. The New England states might be too crowded with all the "leaf peepers," and overpriced accordingly. Any suggestions for where else to go? I won't be in really good hiking shape to start because I live in Arizona and the whole state is closed to any hiking and backpacking activities, because of either fire or the risk of fire. The whole state seems to be burning right now. I'm active in power yoga and indoor cycling though. Really looking forward to getting back to the East Coast and the AT; it's never far from my mind! Some other things to keep in mind are ease of access as I'll be flying in from Arizona. Thanks for your help :-)

The Long Trail in VT. is beautiful that time of year. Especially from the Canadian boarder to where it and the AT converge. And going south in september/october even where it LT and AT run together won't be that crouded. Look up a trail journal/web site by Jamie Compos (trail name "Duct Tape) . He did that hike a few years ago and made a beautiful documentary.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Fly to Asheville, NC, get a shuttle to Hot Springs and start hiking north.

Another idea, though would involve the Smokies and rehiking trail you've already hiked would be to fly to ATL and hike the BMT/AT loop. You could easily do a round trip ticket back to AZ doing this.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Springer to Mt Rogers around October will probably have some of the best fall colors.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

plane to DC train to Harpers Ferry and hike south.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

i would be near the southern highlands no matter what...BLUEBERRIES!!! are all over roan area/hump mountain area and mt. rogers...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If I lived in Arizona I'd do desert hiking that time of the year.

I'd check out the Grand Enchantment Trail, hiking on the Gila river, or the PCT south of Sonora Pass.

Hiking after fires can actually be pretty cool--it's an awesome chance to see natural succession.

If the AT is more your taste (or the fires are still burning, etc.) than the South is probably your best bet that time of year. For my time/tastes, anything south of Catawba, VA or so is great. For my preferences, I would only hike the middle third of the AT if I lived on it or as a part of a thru-hike/completing a section hike.

You could fly into Roanoake, VA and get to the trail pretty easily from there. You'll probably get to somewhere between Erwin, TN and Hot Springs, NC. It's not too tough to get a shuttle/hitch to an Amtrak from there, if I remember correctly.

As far as the Smokies go, they are crowded, but it's really a short section so I probably wouldn't hassle with logistics just to skip it if you do make it that far.

Images

I'd go to New England even though there might be a few extra people on the trail.
    There's a reason people from all over the world go to New England in the fall.
    Besides, you'll only see them on the weekends. Locals will be working during the week and most tourists don't go that far from a trailhead parking lot. Or at least that's been my experience.

Images

Virginia is pretty in the fall. Good weather, nice trail. Start at HF or Front Royal and head south, that's what I would do with a month in the fall.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Round trip the GSMNP

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Given your criteria I would recommend Virginia. You could start in Damascus (or Hampton, TN, about 40 miles of easy trail to the south) and hike north through Virginia and the changing colors.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I'd also recommend Virginia. Shenandoah NP on weekends can be as busy as New England so I'd start at Waynesboro and hike south. If you reach Damascus in 4 weeks, continue on through Tennessee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I'd go to New England even though there might be a few extra people on the trail.
    There's a reason people from all over the world go to New England in the fall.
    Besides, you'll only see them on the weekends. Locals will be working during the week and most tourists don't go that far from a trailhead parking lot. Or at least that's been my experience.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Given the specs stated by the OP, I'd start at Stratton, Killington or Hanover and work south toward NYC area. You'll march along with the changing colors, reckoning with day and weekend hikers and leaf-peepers Fri-Sun. A large dose of the Greens and Berkshires and the Housatonic Valley at one of the prettiest times of year. Mild weather, well-maintained trail, plenty of accommodations and friendly towns. Not cheap, true, but manageable if you're smart about it, and worth it.

If you plot out a spot where you can be confident to get to the Appalachian Trail Metro-North commuter rail station ( right on trail, just SOBO from the Connecticut/N.Y. border), you'll have easy transit to an airport in the city for your return trip. Stratton would be about 200 trail miles, Killington would be about 250, Hanover, NH about 300, all of it relatively mellow (steep spots in places, of course).
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I suggest reconsidering New England, I love hiking here in the fall. In general aside from major peaks on clear fall days there are probably less people on the trail than the height of the summer season. I cant speak to price spikes but I would think if you are looking at AT oriented lodging the difference should be minimal. I would suggest Maine: less people than NH and more spectacular than VT. I like the Bigelows South but if you are looking for easier terrain north of the Bigelows might be better. If you are willing to go off the AT you might consider the Cohos Trail(NH). You will see many less people until the very end (SOBO) and the terrain generally starts out easier. Very wild and remote and the Scenery gets better as you go south. I am jealous of the Hiking window you have enjoy!

Wow guys, thanks a lot for your input. I have some great suggestions to work with and some things to think about. My two favorite suggestions involve Virginia (a state I love anyway) and hiking in New England--thanks Smooth & Wasabi and Hailstorm. I'll have all winter to desert hike once I get home in the fall. I used to live on the East Coast and miss the falls terribly. Can't wait to get back out on the trail!

++ New Posts ++