WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default lightweight gaiters for morning dew/weeds????

If you're like me, there's nothing worse than having a beautiful day to hike, heading out early, and then you hit stretch where the overgrowth onto the trail from the morning dew can cause your socks, and soon boots, to be wet within minutes. My regular gaiters are heavy (mine are 6.5) and don't work well enough to carry anymore verses an extra pair of dry socks at 3 ounces.

So....anyone know of something lightweight (under 3 ounces) that actually work well enough for a defense of the dreaded morning dew? I know of the eVent gaiters http://tinyurl.com/6aysuf7, but the drawback is you gotta put them on before the shoe. I've actually thought about asking z-packs or Lightheart to make a cuben pair. Any better ideas before I take the eVent plunge??

Thanks.

Images
    "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Quote Originally Posted by mega82 View Post
    But these aren't waterproof

I use the ID eVENT Shortie Gaiters. (These are waterproof and light.)
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Learning to deal with it is a lot lighter. I never used gaiters on my thru, and didn't have one moment where I wished I had them.

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    What he said. No real reason to look further for what you are asking about. These weigh next to nothing and do the job. Look perfect for light snow and dew.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-23-2011 at 16:56.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    These look awesome! I might have zpacks making me a pair of cuben gaiters to see if they'll do the trick. If not, I'm going for these babies. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    These look awesome! I might have zpacks making me a pair of cuben gaiters to see if they'll do the trick. If not, I'm going for these babies. Thanks.
    I would think cuben would be hot as hell and not hold up well to the abrasions a gaiter would go through.

edit: Oh, and you can do away with the under strap by placing Velcro on the heel of you shoe and a corresponding piece on the gaiter. I haven't done this yet but will be. It is a similar attachment as Dirty Girl Gaiters.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-23-2011 at 20:05.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

[QUOTE=ChinMusic;1174782]I would think cuben would be hot as hell and not hold up well to the abrasions a gaiter would go through.

Legitmate concerns, but figure there's only one way to find out......Joe from Zpacks said it shouldn't be a problem to try, hope they decide to make me a pair even after I sent my "design specs."

I like the velcro idea. My thoughts were adding another lace hook to the back since I have a heel loop on my boots I could attach it to.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Learning to deal with it is a lot lighter. I never used gaiters on my thru, and didn't have one moment where I wished I had them.
    +1 on Trailbender's idea.

Shoes dry out fast if it's not raining. If it's raining shoes get wet pretty much no matter what you do.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There are very few places on the AT where I think gaiters are really needed, but there have been a few times that I wished I had brought them or wish I had stopped to put them on.

MLD offers 1.5 ounce e-Vent gaiters that work well. Just make sure that the tops of your socks are below the upper band of the gaiters. Even then, a lot of water dripping down your bare legs will eventually wick down through the socks. A pair of Montbell Dynamo DWR windpants (2.8 oz) would be ideal in that situation, especially if the windpants are on the outside or the extra pant length is "bloused" over the top of the gaiters.

Unfortunately, by the time I realize that I'm walking through wet grass it's either already too late or I can't be bothered to stop. This is why quick-drying boots are so attractive, especially if you can combine them with thin socks (which I have not moved to yet).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I use low gaiters to hike in the desert southwest, but for the AT, I've never been able to find a pair of gaiters that keep the rain out while at the same time letting my feet breathe. If they keep the rain out, they tend to keep your foot sweat in. For the AT I've given up on gaiters and just go with the flow. Pun intended.

Images

I prefer using gaiters

1. Keeps my laces tied
    2. Stuff does not get into my shoes
    3. Socks stay a lot cleaner

Worth the extra weight on my feet, not sure, for now the benefits are winning over weight and one more thing to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    There are very few places on the AT where I think gaiters are really needed, but there have been a few times that I wished I had brought them or wish I had stopped to put them on.
    If you are hiking during thru season and the trail has been maintained then I agree with you. There are sections I have been on in the summer where the visible trail was about 4" wide and poison ivy was everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    +1 on Trailbender's idea.

Shoes dry out fast if it's not raining. If it's raining shoes get wet pretty much no matter what you do.
    I am getting back into hiking after 25+ years away from it and I have been thinking about this issue as I consider boots. The Merrel Moab Ventilators seem to be a good solution; they get wet, but then dry out. I used to use gaiters long ago to fight the wet, but I am now thinking that lighter and simple is best.

Any suggestions on socks out there? (Sorry if I am changing the subject a bit)

++ New Posts ++