WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default thru-hike backpack

New to forum here, TY. Enjoying many reads already! I am involved with another hiker forum and this is by far more knowledgeable and useful. Not sure why I missed it.
    My thru-hike is planned for 2014. I have started my research and have yet to nail down some of the gear I want to use. I consider myself a lighweight backpacker but not quite unltralight and definitely not extreme. Right now, for my summer hikes (no more than a week) I use an Osprey atmos 50 with 3,000 ci. and weighs roughly 3lb 6 oz. I like Osprey bags alot, but am willing to look at other bags with the time I have to research.
    Couple things I'm looking for: Hydration compatible, no more than 3 1/2 pounds total pack only weight, 3600-3800 cu in and a framesheet or stays. I will go up to 35 pounds when fully packed.

anything would be appreciated, thanks

i'm leaving for my sobo thru in a week...carrying the osprey exos 58....3500 cu...size medium....weight 2lbs 8 oz.......love it......
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

+ 1 on the Exos 58. We got ours afterour thru, but believe they would be good choice for a thru hike. They're fairly light with good pocket/compartment placement and theykeep your back cool. Overall, it's a pretty nice pack with goodcapacity, durability and comfort. Depending on the hike, we runabout 26-30 lbs, including food and water. Like most, I'd recommendyou get your other gear nailed down first and then decide what youreally need for a pack. The planning is part of the fun...enjoy!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

I would seriously look at something with more durability than what the Exos offers. Although I don't own one, two friends did and they did not stand up to minimal abuse, especially the side pockets and the side compression straps. One also bent the frame (I have no idea how).

My pick would be the ULA Circuit or Catalyst. Bomber materials, good volume and carry, and still at or under 3 lbs.

I'm wondering if 3500 will be enough. Have loved these packs since the first day I put one on. Thanks Lordy

I hear ya on the gear part first, although I have a good idea on the major components already. I just knew the Atmos would most likely be a bit too small. Just out of curiosity, what did you use for a stove and what was your tarp/tent?
    Thanks MW

> I'm looking for: Hydration compatible, no more than 3 1/2 pounds total pack only weight, 3600-3800 cu in and a framesheet or stays

It sounds like your Osprey already pretty much meets your needs except for the cu in. Why not try replacing/reducing/eliminating some other piece of gear so that you can gain the 600cu in your current pack lacks?
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I hear you on making room with 3,000 ci. I think I'll be close with what I'll be carrying for gear, it's the food that has me concerned. I'll most likely be about 220 lbs when I start, thats after dropping 10 lbs and training before the start. I think my body size will require a bigger calorie intake, and this is from experience on other trips.

3500 is a little more than i need but i figure the extra space will be used...not so sure thats a good think
    ATC Life Member

meant good thing
    ATC Life Member

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    I hear ya on the gear part first, although I have a good idea on the major components already. I just knew the Atmos would most likely be a bit too small. Just out of curiosity, what did you use for a stove and what was your tarp/tent?
    Thanks MW
    I carried a MSR Hubba Hubba and a pocket rocket.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Hike smarter, not harder.

If only there was some kind of backpack, designed by a thru-hiker, for a thru-hike, and then optimized with input from other thru-hikers. Hmmmm.........and made in the USA. Adn you could call, and the owner answered the phone to help with fit and other questions. Oh wait, there is one!

http://www.ula-equipment.com/
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    I carried a MSR Hubba Hubba and a pocket rocket.
    I have the pocket rocket too, I'm really happy with it. As far as the tent, I'm looking for something a bit lighter, actually considering Cuben Fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    If only there was some kind of backpack, designed by a thru-hiker, for a thru-hike, and then optimized with input from other thru-hikers. Hmmmm.........and made in the USA. Adn you could call, and the owner answered the phone to help with fit and other questions. Oh wait, there is one!

http://www.ula-equipment.com/
    ski, which ULA bag do you have? I have them on my list of bags. It's just tough for me to change from something I have had no problems with and enjoy.

Images

Payne, I have an Osrey Atmos 50 from my 2005 hike. I liked it fine. I bought it instead of the ULA because it was black and the ULA was green. DUMB!!! Now I own the ULA Catalyst which I used for my thru last year, the ULA Circuit which I used for shorter hikes, and now a ULA CDT for my lighter gear. No way that I would ever go back to Osprey!

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If you're looking for a conventional type pack I'd go with an osprey Talon series.

If you can get to the light side of conventional ULA is great.

If you can get lighter than conventional, z-packs are the best packs on the market IMO.

To be honest, your best be is probably starting in the pack that you own and letting other people be your guinea pigs!

Poke around into the diversity of gear setups you can have. You can enjoy a thru-hike carrying 50 pounds of gear or 5 pounds of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    ski, which ULA bag do you have? I have them on my list of bags. It's just tough for me to change from something I have had no problems with and enjoy.
    I have a Catalyst, a Circuit, and a Conduit (now CDT). If you enjoy your current pack, don't change.

Red Hat - there is a thread on BPL where someone dyed their ULA black (or was it a Jam2?). Didn't look too hard to do.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

[QUOTE=skinewmexico;1174922]I have a Catalyst, a Circuit, and a Conduit (now CDT). If you enjoy your current pack, don't change. It's not so much that enjoy my pack over any other, its that I haven't had many others to compare it to. I know Osprey makes a few lightweight packs but if I'm going to have 35 pounds or less I would like to consider other packs in order to shave some more weight to get the same results and the same comfort. I could actually save over a pound with the ultralight packs.

Give a ULA a shot. I think they have a 30 day money back program. Compared to Z-Packs, and some Gossamer Gear packs, I don't even consider ULA ultralight anymore. They're just not overweight.

Images

Back in 05, I was all about being "Red Hat" and used red, purple, or black gear.... now it doesn't really matter to me. I am "Red Hat" no matter what color my stuff is, and I don't even need to have a hat... lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++