WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Meat if you don't like tuna or salmon pouches

I'm trying to come up with some good meat options to take on the trail with me, but there are a few caveats. I really don't like tuna very much (well, at least room-temperature foil packs, but I'm cool with sushi or even tuna sammies with mayo and such when not on the trail), and cannot stand salmon.

Love some beef and turkey jerky, but it's too damn expensive and I"m not really interested in investing in a dehydrator.

Of course, I'm perfectly happy with pepperoni and summer sausage, but I"m kind of stumped for other things.

Any suggestions? I'm not a gram-weenie, but don't think lugging a can of Spam is the answer, either. (And please save the meatless proselytizing for the drum circle).

Thanks!

SS

Images

Have you tried chicken or turkey foil packs? They're about like canned chicken, not the greatest by itself but good cooked with other ingredients. Some pretty small stores around here have some of the canned chicken and turkey but the can weighs more. Most decent groceries would have these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Fresh-P...8530380&sr=1-1

Stir Fry

The this out they have several diferant freeze dryed meat. I love the chicken and hamburger. Great in a lot of dishes. Tacos are the bomb.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
    I'm trying to come up with some good meat options to take on the trail with me, but there are a few caveats. I really don't like tuna very much (well, at least room-temperature foil packs, but I'm cool with sushi or even tuna sammies with mayo and such when not on the trail), and cannot stand salmon.

Love some beef and turkey jerky, but it's too damn expensive and I"m not really interested in investing in a dehydrator.

Of course, I'm perfectly happy with pepperoni and summer sausage, but I"m kind of stumped for other things.

Any suggestions? I'm not a gram-weenie, but don't think lugging a can of Spam is the answer, either. (And please save the meatless proselytizing for the drum circle).

Thanks!

SS
    Dehydrate in your oven, or go solar. I harvest venison yearly and process it myself.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I do not like just tuna but I do like the seasoned tuna. Chunk chicken can also be found readily in a foil pouch. Spam comes as a single serving in a pouch. I am not a spam fan but sometimes on the trail its ok. dry hard salami is good. Precooked bacon comes as slices or crumbles, really good in instant mashed potatoes. Sliced or chunk ham that is vacuum sealed works well. Just about any meat that is heavily seasoned and/or smoked and vacuumed sealed can be carried just eat all of it once it is opened. I carried single serving packs of turkey breast out last weekend in 80+ degree heat with no problem. I carry hot dogs in packs of four or five again they are ok until they are opened.
    Alcohol was involved!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Baby shrimp and chicken are available in foil packs, and don't eliminate cans from the menu. Empty cans don't weigh much more than the foil packs, and are easier to get fully emptied, and can be rinsed with the boiling water you're cooking with, so the trash you're hauling out is cleaner. You just opened up a whole new world of hiking meat options.

Images

Smoke a brisket and put in the dryer. Just add rice and you have a great meal....
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Go further, go to www.beprepared.com - you can find many, many freeze-dried meats. Those big tins get easily used up when hiking!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Summer Sausage, Peperoni, and Hard Salami are also good choices.

If you're worried about protein, then don't forget peanut butter. Not meat, but a solid source of protein.

spam singles. can be found at wal-mart
    http://www.spam.com/products/classicsingles.aspx

Default those are good...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Have you tried chicken or turkey foil packs? They're about like canned chicken, not the greatest by itself but good cooked with other ingredients.

however they will be almost impossible for him to find at resupply places along the trail (unfortunately). Would be nice in maildrops if the op goes that route.

The other day at the supermarket I saw something called "burrito stuffers" by one of the big generic-mexican brands (Ol' El Paso or Ortega, etc.) It was a pouch of pre-seasoned meat. Some had rice. I saw one type for steak - Carne Asada - and a couple of kinds of chicken.

Pre-cooked, so you could eat it right out of the pouch, or heat it in your pan or put it into a freezer bag and drop it into boiling water for a minute or two.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

On the trail, I usually bite the bullet and get at least 1 small can of chicken (making sure I don't need a can opener to get in it).

Images

I've been able to find the packaged pre-cooked chicken (not in a can) pretty regularly this year. I tire of the tuna packages quickly and have found the chicken packages to be a godsend as they offer way more menu choices for me. Also, you can find proscutto (sp?) in the grocery stores. This dried ham is fantastic on a bagel. Good for any meal.

I do like the tuna salad packages I've been seeing. Already has the mayo and relish combined with tuna.

Hamburger Gravel! Brown lean ground beef, dehydrate on cookie sheet on oven (180-200 degrees).

Makes awesome 'cottage pie' (some folks call it shepherd's pie which is actually made with lamb.) I used instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated veggies and brown gravy mix. Also really good to make trail chili--dehydrated beans, chili seasoning and sundried tomatoes. Or add in with mac n cheese for a great cheeseburger taste! YUM!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

+1 on Hamburger Gravel- good instructions on http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html- It is very easy and keeps for a long time if you buy lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Maiden View Post
    Hamburger Gravel! Brown lean ground beef, dehydrate on cookie sheet on oven (180-200 degrees).

Makes awesome 'cottage pie' (some folks call it shepherd's pie which is actually made with lamb.) I used instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated veggies and brown gravy mix. Also really good to make trail chili--dehydrated beans, chili seasoning and sundried tomatoes. Or add in with mac n cheese for a great cheeseburger taste! YUM!
    How long will last? Do you store it in a ziplock?
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

You can carry a can or two of chicken or any meat and after dinner turn it into a mouse hanger to hang your pack on for the night. Then all you have to carry is the lid. So long as there are not enough already in the shelter.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    The other day at the supermarket I saw something called "burrito stuffers" by one of the big generic-mexican brands (Ol' El Paso or Ortega, etc.) It was a pouch of pre-seasoned meat. Some had rice. I saw one type for steak - Carne Asada - and a couple of kinds of chicken.

Pre-cooked, so you could eat it right out of the pouch, or heat it in your pan or put it into a freezer bag and drop it into boiling water for a minute or two.
    I have used those put in my pot of boiling water, poured on a tortilla they are great.
    Alcohol was involved!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++