WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Maryland AT

Default Maryland AT

Trying to plan a 3-5 day hike of the AT. It will be my first overnight hike, and my first experience on the AT. I believe we have decided on the Maryland section for many reasons...i hear its fairly easy terrain, I live 2.5 hours from both Harpers Ferry and Pen Mar, I only have 5 days, etc. I hear that this the best section for noobs like us!
    My question is, should we do it NOBO or SOBO? Hoping some of you vets can help me make this decision. (of course ANY help/info on this section would be welcomed)!!!

I have been doing 5-10 mile hikes 6 days a week for the past 2 months. Its time to take the next logical step! Thanks for your help!

Images

Did this section in April starting at PenMar Park. I'd go southbound to Harpers Ferry.
    The hike to Annapolis Rocks is quite rocky in spots so be careful especially if rocks are wet.

The 40 miles can be done in 3 days easily , 4 days if you're not in any hurry .

The flat crushed gravel of the C&O Canal walk into Harpers Ferry will afford you with a "cool down" lap heading into Harpers Ferry .

Reward yourself with a cold beverage at the Secret Six Tavern .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Maryland was a very nice part of the trail...I really don't think there's a nickels' worth of difference in nobo and sobo here from a hiking perspective (confirmed by a glance at my AT guide from last year?. Lots of history and some highlights....the Dalhgren backpack campground was nice. even had showers and bathrooms (the real kind - not a privy!!!) iirc. Gathland State park was interesting as well and worth a little time to investigate. Seems like you walk thru several old Civil War battlesites. Definetly a nice hike - I guess I'd want to end at HF rather than Pen Mar. that way if you hike faster than expected you can check out HF for bit and reward yourself with food and cold beverages of choice. Have fun.

Thanks for the input!

I also recommend southbound. It's true that the toughest terrain (rocks) are in the beginning out of Pen Mar but I like the idea of ending at Harpers Ferry. Before you leave the ridgeline for the descent to the C&O Canal, take the short side trail to Weverton Cliffs and enjoy the view from the Potomac
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 06-18-2011 at 20:39.

Images

Default re: Maryland AT

Local boy scout troops hike the Maryland section southbound to help the boys earn their 50-mile patch. If you're out on a 3-day weekend, don't be surprised to find one or more lines of scouts in colorful t-shirts marching along like army ants. That also means shelter areas could be crowded.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

South from PenMar to Harpers Ferry. That way you end with a down and a nice walk along the river. Maryland is not flat either, it is just less up. Lots of little ups and downs and lots of long ridgeline walks. It is a nice section.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

I also liked doing it as a SB- hiking into Harper's Ferry was great!! We did take 4 days only because we wanted to enjoy the time we had, but you can do it in 3.

cool, thank you all for the info/suggestions. This BB is so friendly Youre all great peeps

Default NOBO is the Way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    South from PenMar to Harpers Ferry. That way you end with a down and a nice walk along the river. Maryland is not flat either, it is just less up. Lots of little ups and downs and lots of long ridgeline walks. It is a nice section.

For a Noob to end their first trip by hiking 5 miles on the C&O is brutal. I suggest that you start at Harpers and use the towpath to build some momentum to the climb up South....easy walking from there.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'd make my decision based on the most convenient shuttling option: to park at the north end and get shuttled to the south end, then hike back to your car. NOBO or SOBO the trip will be equally challenging. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Jilm View Post
    For a Noob to end their first trip by hiking 5 miles on the C&O is brutal. I suggest that you start at Harpers and use the towpath to build some momentum to the climb up South....easy walking from there.
    It's 2.6 miles, not 5 and it's really IMO a nice way to end the hike. You see the Potomac from Weverton Cliffs, you see ahead to the breaks in the ridges where the2 rivers come together, and then you hike to it.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

I did the MD section several years ago, and would echo the opinions of most of the others here: go N to S. There's just something satisfying about finishing in Harpers Ferry, where you can check out the historical town, have a beer and a sandwich, visit the AT Headquarters, enjoy the view of the Potomac, etc. Ending in Pen Mar might be nice, but might feel like something of an anticlimax.

I made much better mileage on this section than I expected, BTW. I scheduled 3.5-4 days (because I'm usually slow at first when starting the Trail cold) and was finished in 2.5. The terrain is much easier than a lot of the AT.
    --There is always more uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy View Post
    ....I made much better mileage on this section than I expected, BTW. I scheduled 3.5-4 days (because I'm usually slow at first when starting the Trail cold) and was finished in 2.5. The terrain is much easier than a lot of the AT.
    Having just section hiked MD last April, I agree. MD is funny in that there are few places with rough, rocky, footing and then all of a sudden, the Trail becomes an easy dirt path. One such example was the ascent SOBO after PenMar. The ascent was on loose (wet for my hike) rocks but then at the ridgetop, the trail was so easy, you could almost jog.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I have hiked MD 5 times N&S. SB is better.
    Alcohol was involved!

++ New Posts ++