WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My reasoning is logical, it's something else to worry about. We have enough of those out there with just ourselves. As I said, do what you want, you know you better than I do.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

It might be Feb, but here in FL we still need a little dip to cool off during a long day on the trail. ~20 FLAT miles with Bruce today where we saw deer, a tortoise, lots of beautiful water birds, frogs, a 10 ft gator and found a snake skin that must have belonged to a 6 footer. Good pup, good day!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    Hike your own hike. Leave the dog at home, just my opinion.
    YOUR hike, not your dogs. My brothers dog cut his pad so badly that he had to carry it (a lab mix...) about 7 miles back to his car, bleeding the whole time. Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.
    Dog... not dong
    Original post said something about swapping dog pics and meeting other dog owners. 90% of the 3 pages of posts are off topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    To be clear,I had no problem with your opinion.I had problem with your reasoning.
    My reasoning is logical, it's something else to worry about. We have enough of those out there with just ourselves. As I said, do what you want, you know you better than I do.

Doesn't matter Derek - You are pissing into the wind. Where did you learn how to win friend's by irritating the hell out of people...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

That is so obvious I don't think its even worth mentioning. Do you really think that we all managed to arrange for our dogs food, shelter, warmth, etc and didn't realize it was another thing to worry about?

From talking to friend's who have attempted the journey I have learned that making a successful thru is just as much if not more so about your state of mind as it is the logistics involved with walking from point A to point B. Who better to keep your head in the right place than your best friend? Don't read into that as a selfish statement. Though I'm sure in many cases it is a selfish decision to take your dog on the trail, in a lot of cases it is a generous one.

I've read about dogs that don't make it or are worse for wear on their hikes, but a lot of dogs were born for this sort of thing. We're all aware that the majority of people in our society have adopted an easier sedentary lifestyle for themselves and put themselves in a situation where their bodies cant handle the sort of activity that it was designed for. Similarly, whether through breeding or care given, many dogs are not in any sort of shape for these sort of endeavors. However, there is that percentage that is.

Keep in mind that most dog breeds were developed as working animals from their roots as wolves which according to wikipedia travel an average of 15 miles per day. Of course they aren't wolves anymore, but to assume that its a bad decision to bring one's dog on the trail because they cant handle it is absurdly short sighted.

I purposely picked up Bruce from the shelter because he was flagged as a high energy special needs dog and I was a low energy guy just wasting away on the couch. I saw that he was a dog that needed to be pushed to be happy and healthy and I knew that taking on the care of a dog like this was no small feat but I chose to because I knew that just as I could help him, he could help me. I would take him out and he would get me off my butt.

Fast forward to today where we've been on several hikes and he is happier and healthier than ever. The vet and all my hiking buddies agree that though there are risks this is a good idea. Just as thru hiking the AT isn't for every person, is isn't for every dog; and though it is a very important and fulfilling experience for some people, it can be the same for some dogs.

Rant over.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice very Nice.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    99 of 100 dogs don't do a thru hike. too tough on them. if you hike with a dog, carry it's food and water. never put a pack on a dog. a real man carries the dog's needs
    There's a difference between taking a family pet out for a leisurely stroll in the park and and having a mutually beneficial relationship with a four-legged hiking partner.
    As long as a dog is properly conditioned (just like a human) they are perfectly capable of carrying an appropriately weighted and fitted pack. Knowing what an appropriate weight is for your own dog is a matter of experience, as you should definitely have done trial trips with your dog before considering something like a thru-hike. In the event that your dog is fatigued or injured, you should absolutely be prepared to carry his/her pack as well as your own (I've had to do this for a few days on one trip) but I don't know of any practical reason why a dog can't carry a pack. My philosophy on backpacking with my dog is the same as backpacking with a friend: we are partners. I take care of all the logistics, she provides the entertainment, but we look out for each other.
    In my hiking groups, everyone carries what they can, we adjust loads according to who is having good / bad day, and the slowest member always sets the pace (human or animal).

@ its_all_good
    If you're near NY / PA / CT around Aug or later, you should let me know, I'd love to meet you and your dogs! I won't be attempting a thru-hike until 2013, but I'd be happy to meet you on the trail with some dog treats and hear how your hike is going

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    That is so obvious I don't think its even worth mentioning. Do you really think that we all managed to arrange for our dogs food, shelter, warmth, etc and didn't realize it was another thing to worry about?

From talking to friend's who have attempted the journey I have learned that making a successful thru is just as much if not more so about your state of mind as it is the logistics involved with walking from point A to point B. Who better to keep your head in the right place than your best friend? Don't read into that as a selfish statement. Though I'm sure in many cases it is a selfish decision to take your dog on the trail, in a lot of cases it is a generous one.

I've read about dogs that don't make it or are worse for wear on their hikes, but a lot of dogs were born for this sort of thing. We're all aware that the majority of people in our society have adopted an easier sedentary lifestyle for themselves and put themselves in a situation where their bodies cant handle the sort of activity that it was designed for. Similarly, whether through breeding or care given, many dogs are not in any sort of shape for these sort of endeavors. However, there is that percentage that is.

Keep in mind that most dog breeds were developed as working animals from their roots as wolves which according to wikipedia travel an average of 15 miles per day. Of course they aren't wolves anymore, but to assume that its a bad decision to bring one's dog on the trail because they cant handle it is absurdly short sighted.

I purposely picked up Bruce from the shelter because he was flagged as a high energy special needs dog and I was a low energy guy just wasting away on the couch. I saw that he was a dog that needed to be pushed to be happy and healthy and I knew that taking on the care of a dog like this was no small feat but I chose to because I knew that just as I could help him, he could help me. I would take him out and he would get me off my butt.

Fast forward to today where we've been on several hikes and he is happier and healthier than ever. The vet and all my hiking buddies agree that though there are risks this is a good idea. Just as thru hiking the AT isn't for every person, is isn't for every dog; and though it is a very important and fulfilling experience for some people, it can be the same for some dogs.

Rant over.
    What a great post. Thank you. Wish you and Bruce joyful hikes in the future.

Ruger (108 lb doberman) will not be with me on the thru hike but to be honest I enjoy hiking with him more than any person I've met yet. He gets a little pushy in the morning...stands outside the tent and barks until I get up and when I'm breaking camp he goes out on the trail and stands there barking until I get going. I need the motivation though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13 View Post

@ its_all_good
    If you're near NY / PA / CT around Aug or later, you should let me know, I'd love to meet you and your dogs! I won't be attempting a thru-hike until 2013, but I'd be happy to meet you on the trail with some dog treats and hear how your hike is going
    Hopefully we'll be there in early august, I'm sure the dogs would love to meet a friendly person, especially one that has treats for them!

On another topic, after a long internet hiatus this thread seems to have gone wildly out of control, I'm glad to see there are some folks who can read and took the time to post greetings from them and their dogs, to those who feel the need to argue, why bother? The dog forum is for those who have actual questions concerning their own dogs, you don't know their dogs and you don't know them, so don't assume that every dog owner sits around on the couch all day every day ignoring their dog. Anyway, to everyone out on the trail this summer, have a good time and we'll see you out there, with our tails wagging!
    "Take it easy, but take it, and you'll win"-Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by its_all_good View Post
    Hopefully we'll be there in early august, I'm sure the dogs would love to meet a friendly person, especially one that has treats for them!

On another topic, after a long internet hiatus this thread seems to have gone wildly out of control, I'm glad to see there are some folks who can read and took the time to post greetings from them and their dogs, to those who feel the need to argue, why bother? The dog forum is for those who have actual questions concerning their own dogs, you don't know their dogs and you don't know them, so don't assume that every dog owner sits around on the couch all day every day ignoring their dog. Anyway, to everyone out on the trail this summer, have a good time and we'll see you out there, with our tails wagging!
    + effin 1

420559_284036278336539_100001905062766_682447_1856792474_n.jpgDandelion is too young for a thru-hike, obviously, but we plan on practicing our trail manners and doing some trail magic for the hikers along the AT a couple days this summer. Keep an eye out for Dandy in VA & NY, I'm sure she'll have extra doggy treats!

Great, I am now planning to bring my Hereford bull. Don't worry he will be tied outside the shelters.
    Last edited by fadeaway; 03-02-2012 at 17:10.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
    Great, I am now planning to bring my Hereford bull. Don't worry he will be tied outside the shelters.
    Sounds good, don't forget to bring enough steak sauce...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++