WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would urge that you to keep them on a leash. A few years ago, I was hiking from Springer and a thru hiker's dog took off on a game trail. I caught the dog but then couldn't find the owner. I left the dog with some hikers at a shelter. Not sure how it worked out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by P-Train View Post
    FYI

Dogs are not allowed in the Smokies. (GSMNP) APX 70 miles + on the AT. Rangers can and should fine hikers that bring their dogs. I love dogs. I REALLY love my dog like a child but that's not the place for him.

Dogs can get lost which leads hikers to get lost (or hurt) looking for them which then the authorities have to deal with. Dogs chase and get chased by animals on the trail. Don't want to get between a dog and a black bear. No one wants to step in dog pooh, especially on the AT. Dogs can cause unnecessary erosion. People don't want to be bothered by dogs on the trail or in the shelters. They can bark and be loud taking away the ambiance of the AT.

This is the law on the GSMNP and I've personally seen rangers having to deal with people and their dogs when they could have been doing something constructive.

You asked and this is my personal knowledge and opinion.

Leave the dogs at home.
    Unbelievable - someone asks about are you bringing your dog - includes photos and a great time. And every dog thread has someone spouting rules and leashes...... the only erosion on the trail is caused by humans. Most dogs I work with poo in the grass not on the trail Bears poo on the trail go figure... its more about E coli in dog poo. And the rain takes care of it all

Quote Originally Posted by Choo Choo View Post
    I would urge that you to keep them on a leash. A few years ago, I was hiking from Springer and a thru hiker's dog took off on a game trail. I caught the dog but then couldn't find the owner. I left the dog with some hikers at a shelter. Not sure how it worked out.

Almost all the dog threads Choo are in the dog forum. Apparently this is posted outside of the dog forum - something I missed when I first dug into the thread - I have been here a while and when you get a chance to see the constant retoric in the dog forum - Leashes - it gets very old fast even for those that like the forum.... Its like preaching to the choir.

I was refering to this sticky http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post221785
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-25-2012 at 21:50.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

From A Dog Lover , My 1st. Dog Black Lab , Rottie Mix , Bo Bo , Loved the Trail , Then my son got our 1st. Pure Bread Rottie , Maxi , Loved to hike also , From ther Rescued Rotties and never had any problems with them with people or other dogs while hiking on the Trail in the Carlisle , Central Pa. area , Always had good times , I,ve seen all total 7 dogs to their final days , Currently I am without mans Best Friend and am doing a No Bo 2nd week of March , But if we cross paths , Ur Fury Friends will meet a Friend as I will always be packing Treats for them , Alot of Jerky , But one section I was on This past Fall was Palmerton Pa. To Delaware Water Gap area of Pa. and N J , Very - Very rocky , for over a 40 mile stretch with some nice areas , But alot of treacherous hiking for their Paws and crevices , Im just sharing this because as I was Hiking It , I thought wat a challenge It would have been for my Friends , Not to be an alarmist , Just had to share that , Happy Trails !! By the way , Owned and Rescued Rotties for 18 Yrs. , After my No Bo will be rescuing 2 more Rotties after 3 yrs. , Lost my home due to the resession , But making a comeback , Cheers !!

Lets all remember that Bill Erwin hiked the AT with his service dog Orient, without whom I doubt if he would have been able to make.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I'm taking my 12 Pitbulls hiking on the entire AT, without leash.
    Probably couldn't find a breed of dog more friendly to people. They are known for their aggression towards dogs due to their breeding background, but generally speaking they would lick you to death before anything else. A jerk of an owner with a Cocker Spaniel who was raised violent would produce the same aggression as a Pit or any other breed. I don't mean to come off as a pain but as a responsible Pit owner I feel like it is my duty to correct this kind of negative attitudes towards the breed.
    -I'm not a hiker, but I will walk for days for the right campsite!

Hike your own hike. Leave the dog at home, just my opinion.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    Hike your own hike. Leave the dog at home, just my opinion.
    your second sentence contradict the first one, Just my opinion.

YOUR hike, not your dogs. My brothers dog cut his pad so badly that he had to carry it (a lab mix...) about 7 miles back to his car, bleeding the whole time. Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Dog... not dong

[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1258257]Didn't read the sticky or toss did you? Newbie.[/QUOTE

***??? This makes no sense...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Dog... not dong
    Derek81pci; Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.
    Best...typo...ever...
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-25-2012 at 18:40.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

YOUR hike, not your dogs. My brothers dog cut his pad so badly that he had to carry it (a lab mix...) about 7 miles back to his car, bleeding the whole time. Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.
    I am not hear to argue about taking or not taking the dogs on trails. You used HYOH but then the second sentence pops up like leave the dog at home. It just doesn't add up.

Now your reasoning is bleeding paws of your brother's dog? Sorry for that dog but my dog does not bleed . He is super fit, runs 6 miles every day after my bike and has hiked a 550 miles trail with me easily, with no bleeding or any health issue. Does it mean that every dog can do the same? NO.
    But last time I checked the dogs used to be in woods naturally and humans in their houses.We took the dogs from the woods to our houses. Now dogs can't walk in the woods. Come on Man.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I'm taking my 12 Pitbulls hiking on the entire AT, without leash.
    OK then. That should be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post

Now your reasoning is bleeding paws of your brother's dog? Sorry for that dog but my dog does not bleed . He is super fit, runs 6 miles every day after my bike and has hiked a 550 miles trail with me easily, with no bleeding or any health issue. Does it mean that every dog can do the same? NO.
    But last time I checked the dogs used to be in woods naturally and humans in their houses.We took the dogs from the woods to our houses. Now dogs can't walk in the woods. Come on Man.
    99 of 100 dogs don't do a thru hike. too tough on them. if you hike with a dog, carry it's food and water. never put a pack on a dog. a real man carries the dog's needs

Journal Entries
    Images

Send photos... no wait You tubes.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The dog didn't just randomly start bleeding... it got a super nasty cut on it's paw which could have threatened it's life. Injuries happen to humans and dogs alike. I wouldn't subject something that didn't have a choice to be there, to walk around in 95+ degree temps (with a coat of fur)... or strap a pack onto it. This is a thread, I offered an opinion. Sorry you didn't like it~~

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Derek your post has little to do with the original intent of the thread... and I am still wondering why someone didn't wrap the foot in some gauze and a bandana - and just park for the night to give it time to heal then head back the next day... its called first aid.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    99 of 100 dogs don't do a thru hike. too tough on them. if you hike with a dog, carry it's food and water. never put a pack on a dog. a real man carries the dog's needs
    I do not call myself a real man but I carry my dog's food and water with me . You can see on my YouTube videos of Bruce Trail end to end hiking. The question for me is : Can I make a thru?

Original post said something about swapping dog pics and meeting other dog owners. 90% of the 3 pages of posts are off topic.

Images

The dog didn't just randomly start bleeding... it got a super nasty cut on it's paw which could have threatened it's life. Injuries happen to humans and dogs alike. I wouldn't subject something that didn't have a choice to be there, to walk around in 95+ degree temps (with a coat of fur)... or strap a pack onto it. This is a thread, I offered an opinion. Sorry you didn't like it~~
    To be clear,I had no problem with your opinion.I had problem with your reasoning.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++