WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Synchronous Fireflies in NC

Curious if anyone had more information about the Synchronous Fireflies appearing in the park in places other than Elkmont.

From what I can find online, it seems that they appear in Elkmont, Cades Cove, near Gatlinburg, and other water sheds on the TN side with elevations near 2200'.

But Saturday Night, I was camping at site #53 at the top of the Deep Creek water shed, situated above 3000' on the NC side. We were treated to a suprise display of the Synchronous Fireflies.

I just can't figure out if what we witnessed is common throughout the park, or if it was unusual to find these fireflies @ #53.

Now I realize that #53 is only 15 miles from Elkmont. But I still have not been able to find any Internet resources that indicate these fireflies appear in NC.

Images

I've never seen it, but it's such a weird phenomena that someday I'll have to make the trip down there. There was another thread on WB:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ight=fireflies
    Delta-Dawn posted these interesting links:
    http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.co...f-elkmont.html
    http://www.terry-1.com/fireflies.htm

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had seen the other post here in WhiteBlaze. That's where I got the information about these fireflies being at 2200'.

If Buffalo Skipper's post in that thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...9&postcount=10) were correct (that camp site #25 @ 2750' is probably too high to view this specie), I shouldn't have been seeing the syncronous fireflies at camp site #53 because both Google Earth and "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" place this camp site above 3000'.

May 11th of last year I was at Campsite # 70 on Forney Creek and we had wonderful display. It was a big surprise because I have always heard they only did that in June and the only place on the NC side I had heard of it was at Walnut Bottoms on Big Creek.

I'm fairly certain you can see them in other areas of the park. I know that you get a pretty good light show over in the Greebrier area along porters creek. I do think however that Elkmont is probably the best area for them. It's amazing thing to see!

I'm thinking about going up there Monday for a night or two with the kids to see it. Were they still going strong, HooKooDooKu?
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I'm fairly certain you can see them in other areas of the park. I know that you get a pretty good light show over in the Greebrier area along porters creek. I do think however that Elkmont is probably the best area for them. It's amazing thing to see!
    couple years ago i saw them from kephart shelter about 2 am, nothing like elkmont, which is the best place to see them, except when people try to take flash pictures.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Dawn View Post
    I'm thinking about going up there Monday for a night or two with the kids to see it. Were they still going strong, HooKooDooKu?
    We were only in the woods the night of the 4th and 5th. "The Show" was the 1st night at the upper elevation. The second night, we were further down the trail at #59 (an elevation of 2200'). We did see a few fireflies, but not in great quantity, not enough for a synchronous show.

Now earlier that 2nd evening, there was a touch of rain, and temperatures were a few degrees warmer (lower elevation). So I don't know if it was the change in weather, elevation, or simply location that we didn't get any kind of a show the 2nd night.

Interestingly enough, the fireflies we saw the 2nd night were flashing at heights that seemed to be 20' to 40' above the ground. No low flying flashers. At "the show" the night before, they were all low flying. I would guess that none of them were higher than about 15' above the ground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I had seen the other post here in WhiteBlaze. That's where I got the information about these fireflies being at 2200'.

If Buffalo Skipper's post in that thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...9&postcount=10) were correct (that camp site #25 @ 2750' is probably too high to view this specie), I shouldn't have been seeing the syncronous fireflies at camp site #53 because both Google Earth and "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" place this camp site above 3000'.
    I am no expert on syncronous fireflies, but I have read what I can find on it, and I have been up to Elkmont several times over the last decade to view them.

Much of what I said in that post was sepculation based on what I had read and what a few rangers around the park had relayed to me (elevation expectations). Others have said this can been seen also around the Greenbriar area, but I have not been there to see it. If you saw them around 3000' then that is an interesting "find." I believe this specie may be more common than previously percieved, prehaps in part to the fact that much of it's mating habitat is so remote and that it's mating period is so short. But again that is speculation.

Glad you were able to see a good show. It is a breathtaking experience, and one which is not easily forgotten.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I sent an email to the national park, and an Entomologist emailed me back with the following information:
    The synchronous fireflies are known to occur throughout the park, at
    various elevations, and on both sides. What's interesting about what you
    saw is that it was quite early to be seeing them up high. We have
    determined that the peak display down at Elkmont was about this same time,
    and typically the displays at higher elevations occur somewhat later. This
    year though, it seemed that all of it was a bit earlier, perhaps because of
    the relatively long period of 90+ temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I'm fairly certain you can see them in other areas of the park. I know that you get a pretty good light show over in the Greebrier area ...
    Have to check this area with the kids and I also hear that June is best. Thanks for sharing!

Images

I sent an email to the national park, and an Entomologist emailed me back with the following information:
    So little is really known about this species of beetle. They are learning more each year. Sounds like you had a truly unique experience. Lucky you!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I am no expert on syncronous fireflies, but I have read what I can find on it, and I have been up to Elkmont several times over the last decade to view them.

Much of what I said in that post was sepculation based on what I had read and what a few rangers around the park had relayed to me (elevation expectations). Others have said this can been seen also around the Greenbriar NC but I have not been there to see it. If you saw them around 3000' then that is nc mountain land for sale I believe this specie may be more common than previously percieved, prehaps in part to the fact that much of it's mating habitat is so remote and that it's mating period is so short. But again that is speculation.

Glad you were able to see a good show. It is a breathtaking experience, and one which is not easily forgotten.
    I just added to wikipidia on this if you feel like checking it out

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tkarint View Post
    I just added to wikipidia on this if you feel like checking it out
    Under what heading?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Update on an old subject.
    I was once again camping at CS#53 last night and was once again treated to a sycronous firefly display. Can't say for sure... bit this time it seemed like there were more fireflies that last time I saw them here, bit this time the flashes were somewhat in waves across the landscape.
    In any case, my firefly sighting at #53 was apparently not a fluke bit instead a healthy population

Images

It's been rainy and moist in the area---I bet that had to do with the population being more active...

Was at site #30 Friday night and the entire forest was lit with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
    Was at site #30 Friday night and the entire forest was lit with them.
    Synchronized fire flies?

My trips to GSMNP have taught me that there are several types of fire flies. I've seen at least three different basic types:
    1. Random Yellow-Yellow/Green flashers.
    2. Light Blue glowers (the light doesn't flash but simply glows)
    3. Synchronized... where a large group flashes rapidly for a few seconds, and then the forest goes dark for about 10 seconds.

Synchronized fire flies?

My trips to GSMNP have taught me that there are several types of fire flies. I've seen at least three different basic types:
    1. Random Yellow-Yellow/Green flashers.
    2. Light Blue glowers (the light doesn't flash but simply glows)
    3. Synchronized... where a large group flashes rapidly for a few seconds, and then the forest goes dark for about 10 seconds.
    2 and 3. Thousands of synchronous fireflies surrounded the entire site with the random patch of blue ghosts mixed in. We stood there for over an hour watching the forest glow for 10 seconds and then go dark for about 10. One of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. My 15 year old son and nephew were rendered speechless, which is hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Rocky Fork State Park outside of Erwin, has the fireflies too. They'll have shows on two different weekends this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++