WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Online AT Hiker Photo Archive

Here's a link to a new online project of the Appalachian Trail Museum. They've posted all of the hiker pictures taken at the ATC office in Harpers Ferry, and organized them into a searchable database. http://athikerpictures.org/
    Early Bird 2007

Images

The images really do go all the way back to June 23, 1980. Unfortunately, I can't provide the full name of the hiker for whom information is lacking.

wow, that's great...I looked ...younger, thinner and more steely eyed in 95,lol.
    I can't imagine what effort htat database took to organize

Images

That really is neat. When do they expect to have the more recent pictures included? I can't find people from the past two years.
    Seek, and you shall find.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just for kicks I did a search for Lone Wolf and found these two pictures, the first dated 6/5/1997 and the second 7/20/2000!!!

GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Okay, to be fair, here's my ATC section hiker photo, taken at the end of my 2001 hike:

GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

That's awesome--brings back a lot of good memories. Thanks for the link!

Oh boy, my picture was also taken twice by the ATC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Question

Maybe I don't understand how the search works on there, but when I put in my daughter's trail name, it found her right away. But when I added her real name to her trail name, in the blanks provided, it didn't find anyone at all. WEIRD.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have a friend who thru-hiked in '77. Noticed the photos go back to '79. Were they not taking photos before then?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I used the search several different ways and couldn't find myself. I then tried one of the guys I was hiking with and found it.

There doesn't seem to be any photos from '08 up yet, even though the year is in the table. I tired to find several people I knew from that year and none come up. Then I tried some generic names, like Bill, Bob, and the like. Nothing.

I did find my photo from '89 and '07 though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There has to be an award for durability. The "town clothes", I'm wearing in that 1995 pic, (yes some of us really did carry separate clothes for town visits) are still my "town clothes" sometimes today.

Just last week I was going to ride to the park to put in 20 miles on the bike. Knew I was going to be stopping at grocery store on the way and had them both on to shop then changed at the park to ride. Yes the same shorts and shirt.

I've worn them to libraries and museums and restaurants and motel lobbies in trail towns from Alaska to Florida for 16 years. On trains, planes and buses.
    The shorts are more grey now (so is the ponytail), the tee is more thin now (so is the pony tail).

I wonder if Columbia or ASICS want to retire them and send me new ones?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

This is interesting ... my friend, currently thru-hiking as Lady Pants, had her photo taken at the ATC on June 14 ... 21 years to the day after I did. Here's her blog post about it.

Me in 1990:

Default That's Me :)

Dave "The Bamaman" Severance on left aka Milo Garcia and The Parapackers

Vintage 1981 ( Note Alpenlite Pack which I still use !)

[IMG]file:///Users/dseverance/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Default Photo grabbing tip

If you want to get the full un-cropped photo do the following on the photo archive site.

Looking at the page with your photo, right mouse click and select "view image".

Look at the URL in the browser. It'll look like this:

Code:
    http://athikerpictures.org/system/pics/681/cropped/1399ATC099.jpg?1297641600
    Look for the "/cropped/" part of the URL and change it to "/uncropped/". It should look like this:

Code:
    http://athikerpictures.org/system/pics/681/uncropped/1399ATC099.jpg?1297641600
    From there you can save the photo anywhere you want.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    That really is neat. When do they expect to have the more recent pictures included? I can't find people from the past two years.
    Same question for me. I think it's brilliant, I am just not in there yet , along with the others in the class of 2009.

++ New Posts ++