WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: how to hike

FANTASTIC! Oh, if you dont bring the laptop.. can i have it.. to use as a seat!! so level, it will be great!! If not, just "place it along side the approach trail" as many do, dont worry.. the "APPROACH TRAIL ROBOT" who comes 3x a day will be sure to pick it up! Along with any other disregarded piece of equipment you wont need! hahah
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

but really that camp chair is the first thing i throw in the canoe when I don't have to carry all my nonsense on my back...so luxurious i love it

Very enjoyable, agree it ought to be a sticky......great job!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Think I’ll go for a walk. I’ve been perusing the archives here at WB for a while and I believe it is time to hit the trail for a ‘thru-hike’. With all the advice here, how can I go wrong . . .

I’ve been saving money and have accumulated about $1500. I think that should be enough. I’m sure my gear will make it for 2000 miles, so I don’t plan to purchase anything new. If something doesn’t last, I’ll contact the manufacturer and expect a replacement within hours. Even if I’ve stuffed 45# into my 30# pack and it finally fails in VT. Additionally, I can discipline myself to not stay in too many towns, regardless of what everyone else is doing or how bad the weather is. If I do stay at a hostel, sometimes I might ask for a work-for-stay to conserve funds. I’ve heard about hiker boxes, so I plan to raid those at every opportunity.

It’s looking like a mid-March start. Theapproach trail. I think I’ll skip it, since it is a blue-blazer and I plan to make it to Neels Gap in 2 days. I am a little concerned about my 40F bag, but with my 25F liner I should be OK. If I have to, I’ll wear all my clothes to keep warm. After all, GA is in the South and it’s warmer there . . .

As I mentioned, I’ve got about 45# of stuff to haul. I don’t think that is too bad. I’ve worn my full pack around the block a few times and it feels ok. I’d like it to be lower but I just haven’t been able to shave any weight, despite the numerous gear lists that have been posted. And, I absolutely won’t part with my frying pan, camp chair, 6 pr of socks, 2 pr long pants (incl blue jeans), machete, 3 books, etc . . . maybe I can do without the laptop . . . I’ll probably do some slack packing when the opportunities arise.

I’m planning about 15 maildrops mostly for food. I think buying food in bulk will help me to stay on budget. Hope I don’t get tired of eating Power Bars everyday.

I’m pretty good at staying found, so no maps for me, besides there are blazes to follow. The Companion (or other Handbook) is extra weight also, so if I look over your shoulder from time to time, Please don’t get mad at me. Since I am only carrying 1 quart/liter of water I may need to know where the next source is occasionally. I’ll carry Aqua Mira for treating water sources, so I am saving the weight of a filter at least.

I’ve made an itinerary around shelter distances. I understand that shelters are full of mice but I’ll probably spend most nights in one, especially when it is raining. Maybe I can save some weight by not carrying my own shelter?!? I’ve read here that mosquitoes sleep at night, so I don’t believe bugs will be a problem. At night I’m not sure what to do with my food bag though. Do bears sleep at night?

There is so much to see on the AT. I’m looking forward to visiting all the States and National Parks the trail meanders through, including the Great Smoky Mountains. Hope I can figure out that shelter reservation system though. And The Whites! Wow! The spectacular scenery and views are highly anticipated. On the other hand, the outrageous price for a stay in a hut is not highly anticipated. I’ll expect all the hut croo’s to accommodate me with a work-for-stay promptly upon my arrival.

I hope there is lots of trail magic. Every opportunity to enjoy a cold soda, etc will be welcome. I won’t expect something at every trailhead or road crossing . . . maybe every other one would be sufficient.

What should I do about a trail name? Name myself or wait for something silly to happen and become Feces Foot or something like that?!?

Anyway,

Think I’ll go for a walk . . .

Tim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Images

Still one of my favorite posts!

I read this when I first joined WB and tried to understand if it was a guide or a joke. Now after many miles on the trail and hours on WB I definitely see the humor in it. At the same time the links make it an informative guide too. Anything in it that I didn't think was a joke I could click thru and form my own opinion based on the WB discussion.
    Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I know it is bad form to reply to such an old post but I got so much laughter reading all the links; this is a pure gold post. Maybe another newbie will get as many chuckles and learn as much as I did from it.

I did too.

To quote the ultrarunners, "It's 90% physical, the other half is mental".
    Anyway, good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

This was gold when i came here even mags posted on it he was a moderator also.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I know it is bad form to reply to such an old post but I got so much laughter reading all the links; this is a pure gold post. Maybe another newbie will get as many chuckles and learn as much as I did from it.
    No harm in resurrecting a great thread. Maybe more people will resurrect and read some of the older posts that actually address their questions they have instead of having 623 threads about the same topic in a month/year.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++