WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which backpack should I purchase?

I have been searching for a backpack for backpacking trips for a while and I am looking on getting one asap for a backpacking trip i have coming up in a few weeks. These are the two I was thinking about:

http://www.rei.com/product/797929/re...09-special-buy

or

http://www.rei.com/product/796727/os...estrel-68-pack

I am a bigger guy - 6' 1"

The most I am willing to spend is about 150, but since Osprey is such a good brand I would be flexible to about 160 max. But if the REI is just as good or better then no point wasting money. Thanks for your opinion!

Just Hitting My Stride!

I tend towards the lighter side of backpacking, therefore given the choice of the two I would go with the lighter. That said, it really depends on how much your other gear weighs. Keep it light and good luck.

Images

Get your body into an outfitters, and go with the pack that fits you best. The dude in charge of fitting people for packs will know what works best for your build.

Images

Both of these are larger than I would like to carry (weight wise), and are far larger than I would need (volume wise). Given the two, I would also tend toward the lighter of the two (Kestral, but 2 lbs).

If you are interested in a lighter pack, consider this, it is still in your price range:
    http://www.rei.com/product/812762/gr...-2009-closeout
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sheneequa View Post
    Get your body into an outfitters, and go with the pack that fits you best. The dude in charge of fitting people for packs will know what works best for your build.
    I don't think I'd ever buy a pack sight unseen. Follow this advice.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

If there is an REI near you, bring your gear along and spend the day trying out packs loaded with your gear. Wear each candidate for at least 1/2 hour. If your final choice does not work for you, you can return it. Volume, weight, and features are all important. Fit is critical.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

85 liters is huge. My last AT section hike, I took my 45 liter REI backpack and it was plenty. My 60 liter REI Cruise is luxurious with all that space. But, you simply have to decide for yourself.

One rule of thumb-- whatever size pack you carry, you will fill it up! Thus, the bigger the bag, the more the weight. It's just human nature.

That said, no one can tell you what bag is best for you. You simply have to get out and hike with one (or several). The GOOD thing, is that REI will happily take it back.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Here is what I would suggest to a beginner
    http://www.jansport.com/js_product_d...id=16&pid=TVV4
    Has plenty of room for all the things you think you will need & yet still only 4 Lbs. & will not brake the bank to purchase. This was my second bag. I am now down to this bag & still have plenty of room.
    http://www.granitegearstore.com/Virga-P6C7.aspx

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If there is an REI near you, bring your gear along and spend the day trying out packs loaded with your gear. Wear each candidate for at least 1/2 hour. If your final choice does not work for you, you can return it. Volume, weight, and features are all important. Fit is critical.
    Ding, ding, ding..........we have a winner! And 85L is huge.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Couple things. Make sure you try a few on one way or another. Go to a store and see what you like. Also look at other sites. Looks like your looking for a deal, many to be had, but you need to look around but decide first what your looking for. If you need some help amazon has 20% off Osprey this week, I love Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, campsaver, etc. My first real backpack I got was a Gregory off of a website. Bought it first thing then I realized it was 5 lbs and wanted something a little lighter. Ended up going with a UL but being eyeing and Osprey since I got my UL. Good luck with the search, that is half the fun. Also check the hammock forum and the Ultralightbackpacking.com

Even they guys at REI will recommend the Osprey over their own REI brand. If you are a beginner, it's a good idea to get a fitting because there are a lot of straps that you won't know how to adjust to get a good fit and so even if you get the best backpack, you might not know it because you won't know how to adjust it properly.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I would get measured for a pack to get your right back length sorted. If a good outfitters nearby take your stuff and see how it fits in different packs. Decide; and you could check on the web to save money. I have the ULA Circuit which is fine bought from thousands of miles away.You can mock up the size/volume of a bag to see how things fit.

++ New Posts ++