WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: When hiking the JMT, would you do Half Dome or not?

Voters
33. This poll is closed
  • Yes! It's a no-brainer!

25 75.76%
  • Yeah, if you have time.

6 18.18%
  • No, not worth it.

2 6.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Go ahead and get the permit stamped on your wilderness permit - if the weather's bad, don't go, lightening strikes happen all year.

BTW, that's called the Visor. The Diving Board is near but not on the Dome. That's a different hike, but to get an idea of the picture you get from the Diving Board, google yourself up the Monolith by Ansel Adams - great view of the face without having to be a climber.

By the time you get to Whitney, Half Dome will be SO last week. Meh. The tops of the passes are far more awesome and you'll share it with maybe a handful of people instead of the 100-400 you'll find at Half Dome. Donahue was cool, Thousand Island Pass was just a really, really nice walk in windswept pines and flowers, views of the lakes were awesome from up there - good grief, don't get me started on all the things I intend to do AGAIN. Forester Pass! OMG. All the foxtail pines and golden trout.... I'm thinking I'll have to go again real soon, thanks to you.
    your talking out your dome. he needs to go like we go to the pinnicle in pa. its whats done.
    matthewski

The only way I'd consider to climb Half Dome these days is before the cables go up. Perfect time with no permits, no traffic, and not much harder

here's a recent trip report of such a Half Dome climb:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthr...Down#Post14324

Sorry, dude, the Dome is overrated and overrun with tourists.

Way better view from Clouds Rest. Or Mt Dana - tho that's not on the JMT...

All the best views are OF the dome. I know everyone thinks they have to go and be one of the thousands of people who've been there, but eh, whatever.

I didn't go to Half Dome on my '06 hike because we wanted to make it from the Valley to Sunrise High Sierra Camp in one day; 13 miles and gross elevation ascent of nearly 6,000' left no time for the Half Dome side trip. The views and sights on the rest of the hike were so spectacular that I never looked back and regretted forgoing it.

OTOH, perhaps if we had included Half Dome and effectively taken an extra day or half-day getting up to Cathedral Pass, I would have acclimated easier. The second day hit me like a ton of bricks.

Images

I agree the view from Clouds Rest is more spectacular but I would recommend doing Half Dome as well. Both are worth seeing at least once.

I attempted it when I was 16. I froze in fear partway up the cables and had to be lowered down. I've never attempted it again and never felt sorry. I'd vote to skip it for myself, but for you, I say go for it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

view from Half Dome at sunset West

view from Clouds Rest at sunset West

view from Half Dome at Sunrise West

view from Clouds Rest at Sunrise West

And those are all the more intersting moments of the day. You climb it mid morning or later and everything turns hazy blue and flat.

Dana and Clouds Rest are THE mountains to climb in Yosemite if you want a view without much technical challenge. Half Dome is just for bragging rights.

Journal Entries

I am planning to through hike JMT this year and plan to visit both HD and Cloud's Rest.. What's the best route/timing to hit both and continue on JMT?

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    I am planning to through hike JMT this year and plan to visit both HD and Cloud's Rest.. What's the best route/timing to hit both and continue on JMT?
    Ask Mathewski...aka "the half dome kid"

Matty you got your ears on?

My plan would be to hike up HD on day one and camp at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction. Hit Clouds Rest the next morning and spend a lot of time up there. Continue on over Clouds Rest, down to Sunrise Lakes and take side trail back to join the JMT. It is well marked.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Helmuth.Fishmonger View Post
    Dana and Clouds Rest are THE mountains to climb in Yosemite if you want a view without much technical challenge. Half Dome is just for bragging rights.
    Once I looked out from Clouds rest over Half dome, bragging rights were not worth much. I have hiked hundreds of miles of Yosemite and Half Dome will likely be the last miles I ever hike in Yosemite. (I also think Yosemite is over-rated compared to SEKI.)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    My plan would be to hike up HD on day one and camp at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction. Hit Clouds Rest the next morning and spend a lot of time up there. Continue on over Clouds Rest, down to Sunrise Lakes and take side trail back to join the JMT. It is well marked.
    Thanks. That cuts out part of jmt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not climb Half Dome when I was there, and somewhat regret no doing so, but I did get to climb with a guide while there, so I still have those memories.

Yes, about 6 miles if I remember right. If that is something you do not want to do you will have to backtrack once you get to Clouds Rest.

Images

that part of the JMT is far from the highlights, it's VERY dry with limited views.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    (I also think Yosemite is over-rated compared to SEKI.)
    As a CA native who lived in the state for my first 29 years, it never occurred to me to prioritize SEKI and I visited Yosemite nearly every summer, sometimes several times. First time in SEKI was last summer on the JMT. Mile for mile it is much more impressive!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

For the same reason some dont skip parts of the AT, or PCT, some dont want to skip part of the JMT.
    You cannot say you hiked it all. Yes , its silly and shouldnt matter, but it does to some.

Backtracking down a couple mi from Cloudsrest shouldnt be an issue.

Lots of hikers skip miles leaving Reds Meadow, MTR, and VVR . VVR is recommending coming in a different route, and leaving by the bear creek trail this yr since ferry service is limited, will cause people to skip 13 miles, replaced with the same distance only a bit less vertical.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2014 at 22:00.

Journal Entries

Any suggestions where to cache the backpack and bear canister? Safe from crime?

Any suggestions where to cache the backpack and bear canister? Safe from crime?
    I'd leave your pack at the area just before the cables. Nothing is 100% but that feels like the best option.

Journal Entries

Id carry my pack and just stash the bearcan, but that depends on how heavy the pack is. Mines probably on par with many daypacks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++