WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

back to our skeleton site at Lake of the Lone Indian

gummi bears on Silver Pass

a little later that day it paid of to be experienced - the crossings down from Silver Pass were all more than a rookie would want to deal with, at any age

On the same section they made friends with a much younger JMT hiker

exchanging trail notes?

too much energy

On Selden Pass he invents the Gatorade Slushy

at MTR, Sally the dog still enjoys a game of bucket lid frisbee

Those big crossings still aren't their favorite moments

Big fires are useful to warm back up after a cold crossing

water coming right out of the side of the mountain is always welcome for a quick drink

this happens even to old pros once in a while

early season adventure again - where did that trail just go?

this one wants to get back to his 1 million buddies in the lake nearby

Mousie was part of the team again in 2010

and they have pretty opionated bear canisters...

pigging out on Glen Pass

later this summer we'll be walking on the ridge behind him in this 2010 photo from below Forester

show of hands

on top of the crest with Mousie, just before the storms rolled in

and this time it was a Mooseburger for the boy -and he ate the whole thing!

Great family pics there HF. Taking my daughter this summer......but she is 27.

You have convinced me to bring a fill flash.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The pictures are great but suggest posting them in the photo gallery and link back b/c of bandwith issues etc. for this site. Or check with an administrator on that.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The pictures are great but suggest posting them in the photo gallery and link back b/c of bandwith issues etc. for this site. Or check with an administrator on that.
    they are hosted on my server.

want to see them all (this is just a tiny fraction) check here:

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/index.html JMT is in the middle of the page somewhere, still gonna add a few more whenever I get through the old slides from the 80s and 90s.

I would certainly visit VVR if finance allows.We camped very near the pontoon so got the ferry early, there can be queue. Had our only zero day there .Managed 2 good meals and breakfast next day before leaving. Ask them to shuttle you to the Bear trail at the end of the Dam.Visit the very close hot springs behind MTR. A bit muddy but there is a clear pool adjacent.Go to MTR to check out the hiker buckets.Check out the YahooJMTgroup for latest info,I understand there is still lots of snow this year and the stream crossings are deeper than usual right now.

I wish you would set up to receive PMs or email Fish.

I would like to ask you some questioins or make some comments but not particularly pertaining to this thread. I would prefer that this excellent thread stay on topic for those wishing to hike in the Sierras with young hikers without expoloring in depth tangents.

But, here goes. It's one of my life goals to get folks more connected with nature, hiking, and the outdoors. Enriching and establishing that connection at a young age seems very important. Tell me more about that book to motivate kids to get outdoors and hike! How is it being formulated? with lots of outdoor and hiking pics with captions like you are sharing here? Feel free to PM or email me.

"I'm actually about to make a 2010 book in the coming weeks, again, mosty as a motivator for the kids. The are pretty proud of what they did once they hold a book in their hands that is about their adventure. Grat bragging material to take to a show and tell at school " - Helmuth.Fishmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Helmuth.Fishmonger View Post
    they are hosted on my server.

want to see them all (this is just a tiny fraction) check here:

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/index.html JMT is in the middle of the page somewhere, still gonna add a few more whenever I get through the old slides from the 80s and 90s.
    Love your pictures - just showed them to my daughters. We're planning to do the JMT in 2014, when they'll be 11 & 13. Till then we'll make do with the AT
    Quick question - how do your kids like the Osprey packs? Are they the 35l or 48l versions? I'm thinking that those would be good for my girls.

Quote Originally Posted by BJStuart View Post
    Love your pictures - just showed them to my daughters. We're planning to do the JMT in 2014, when they'll be 11 & 13. Till then we'll make do with the AT
    Quick question - how do your kids like the Osprey packs? Are they the 35l or 48l versions? I'm thinking that those would be good for my girls.
    The Ospreys were their choice among several packs we ordered. It beat out an REI brand pack, a North Face Pack and a Gossamer Gear bag (won't really call that a pack). It's a bit small once the Bearikade goes in, but for a summer trip with me carrying the bulky parts of the tent, it wasn't a problem, and I bet even now that they are 14, we'll be using these for their next trip. They are the 48L model, tough little packs, light and still rigid enough so you don't have to mess with a foam pad to keep the bag from collapsing, etc.

We may be out next summer again - to do either the Sierra High Route, or a custom route from north to south using our own variations of the JMT to see places we haven't seen yet, or simply to visit old favorites again. Last summer turned out to be rather dull - first time since 2007 they didn't do a JMT hike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++