WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default what foods did you eat on your last trip?

I'm trying to get out of a trail food rut, and looking for unique ideas. There are a few things I'm going to try this weekend from trailcooking.com, but I also wanted to know what made it into your packs your last time out? Hopefully this will all help with my menu planning for my Colorado Trail trip this July.

Thanks!

oatmeal, powdered milk and cereal, breakfastbars, peanut butter, tortia bread, propell, chicken in foil, mountain house meals, coffee. 3min pasta

I think I ate my last pot of macaroni and cheese for a while. I've been in a rut with that. I make my own recipe and use fancy cheese, but I think I finally got tired of it.

I ate grapenuts with added nuts and instant chai tea for breakfast,
    probars for lunch
    Dr. Krackers for lunch or snacks,
    I brought instant hummus to go with the crackers but didn't eat it,
    Mac and cheese - my own recipe
    The cheese I brought was fancy real parmesan, not the stuff in a can but the kind you buy as a chunk in a cheese shop. Packs really well and tastes great.

Good luck to you!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think I ate my last pot of macaroni and cheese for a while. I've been in a rut with that. I make my own recipe and use fancy cheese, but I think I finally got tired of it.

I ate grapenuts with added nuts and instant chai tea for breakfast,
    probars for lunch
    Dr. Krackers for lunch or snacks,
    I brought instant hummus to go with the crackers but didn't eat it,
    Mac and cheese - my own recipe
    The cheese I brought was fancy real parmesan, not the stuff in a can but the kind you buy as a chunk in a cheese shop. Packs really well and tastes great.

Good luck to you!
    Do they still sell grapenuts? I havent eaten cereal in years but I was at the grocery store Monday and for some reason grapenuts entered my mind so I went to go buy some and couldn't find it! Maybe they just don't carry them at wally world?

I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast for a couple of decades, and it's a rut I am happy to be in. In the last couple of years, however, I have added a shake with breakfast, which is powdered milk, whey powder, CIB, and hershey's cocoa, which adds some additional protein and other goodies to keep me pushing for many hours.

Oat meal, hot tea for breakfast, while eating heat some more water to make a strong tea for lunch that I add water to about a half ltr. of tea and half additional water. Peanut butter and honey on half a pita bread for lunch if I'm still hungry a handful or two of GORP. Mountain House for supper, maybe some tea later with a snack bar and a vitamin I supplement.

Hash House Harrier

If your meals work for you nutritionally but you're just bored with them, add something new for a little zing. Bacon bits are excellent with most things, including gorp and potato-based dishes. Hot sauce (even the mild kind, if you're less wild) adds character to pretty much anything.
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Do they still sell grapenuts?
    I'm eating them this very moment. Great food. 1/2 cup 200 calories. 7g of fiber, 6g of protein. Less than 1g of fat, which I like.

Now I'm sure someone here is going to say they pour olive oil on their Grape Nuts.

mashd taters with ramen and crushed potatoe chips all mixd together mmmmmmmmmmmm!.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winged View Post
    I'm eating them this very moment. Great food. 1/2 cup 200 calories. 7g of fiber, 6g of protein. Less than 1g of fat, which I like.

Now I'm sure someone here is going to say they pour olive oil on their Grape Nuts.
    Where did you get them???

Barefoot at sea level

In NC, Harris-Teeter carries Grape Nuts.

Images

My custom Sir Mix-a-lot powdered drink and gorp. Same as always. It's great stuff, but my next batch of powdered drink will have a caloric density that's 10-15% greater, and better tasting too.

Where did you get them???
    I can buy them at any grocery store in my area. They are on the shelf with all the other cereals.

I do seem to recall, after not eating them for awhile, that I couldn't find them. I think I finally learned they changed the box.

Do they still sell grapenuts? I havent eaten cereal in years but I was at the grocery store Monday and for some reason grapenuts entered my mind so I went to go buy some and couldn't find it! Maybe they just don't carry them at wally world?
    Publix and Winn Dixie have them, Winn Dixie also has their own brand not sure about Publix.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

That half cup is 58 grams in weight or about 2 ounces for 200 calories. The pouched tuna we all carry is only 70 calories per 2.5 ounces. Makes a great snack dry, or mixed with yogurt at a road stop.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    That half cup is 58 grams in weight or about 2 ounces for 200 calories. The pouched tuna we all carry is only 70 calories per 2.5 ounces. Makes a great snack dry, or mixed with yogurt at a road stop.
    I love tuna; it's a great source of protein. The pouched tuna I have in front of me - 2oz, 56g, 56 cal., 14grams protein

The Grape Nuts - 1/2 cup, 58g, 200cal, 6g protein, 48g carbs (7g fiber)

Not sure if your intent was to compare the foods or not. Both food provide our bodies good nutrition. The Grade Nuts provide 3.4 cal per gram. The tuna provides 1 cal per gram.

I'm glad my diet isn't limited to a single food.

I love tuna; it's a great source of protein. The pouched tuna I have in front of me - 2oz, 56g, 56 cal., 14grams protein

The Grape Nuts - 1/2 cup, 58g, 200cal, 6g protein, 48g carbs (7g fiber)

Not sure if your intent was to compare the foods or not. Both food provide our bodies good nutrition. The Grade Nuts provide 3.4 cal per gram. The tuna provides 1 cal per gram.

I'm glad my diet isn't limited to a single food.
    My point was that now that tuna and salmon is available out of the can we all carry it, just like smoked sausage and pepperoni. The calories for the weight is pathetic. We do it because we think we need an animal protein. I am not a vegetarian and eat a lot of dead animals but the tuna we all love is a lot of useless weight even out of the can. On a long distance hike I want calories for the weight. I also want calcium and protein like you say. Cheddar cheese is 220 calories for 56 grams pack weight and 14 grams of protein. Peanut butter comes in at 315 calories per 56 grams with 12 grams of protein.
    I still use pouched tuna and like the variety, but at 56 calories for 56 grams or 2 ounces it doesn't provide squat for energy.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    My point was that now that tuna and salmon is available out of the can we all carry it, just like smoked sausage and pepperoni. The calories for the weight is pathetic. We do it because we think we need an animal protein. I am not a vegetarian and eat a lot of dead animals but the tuna we all love is a lot of useless weight even out of the can. On a long distance hike I want calories for the weight. I also want calcium and protein like you say. Cheddar cheese is 220 calories for 56 grams pack weight and 14 grams of protein. Peanut butter comes in at 315 calories per 56 grams with 12 grams of protein.
    I still use pouched tuna and like the variety, but at 56 calories for 56 grams or 2 ounces it doesn't provide squat for energy.
    That is a great point...And I never have looked at it that way. When you are burning calories like you most likely will be on the trail, you have to consider the weight to calorie to protien benefit. It is almost is simple economics really.
    What about some of the high calorie wieght gainers that are at GNC? You can baggie that stuff and get about 320 Calories per serving with about ~30gr of protien. I wouldn't live off of it, but it two or three times a week should be good...

Garlic
    Images

I go stoveless on summer hikes. My food load is homemade muesli cereal (oats, nuts, dried fruit, powdered milk), tortillas, cheese or peanut butter, instant potatoes, fig newtons, crackers or chips, hummus or refried beans, cashews, raisins, a sandwich and some boiled eggs for the first day or two. My kitchen consists of a plastic cup and spoon. I also repackage everything so there is no waste in my pack, except for the cheese wrapper or peanut butter jar.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Grapenuts are available just about everywhere as far as I can tell. And lots of stores sell their own store brand of it which is just as good. Nice thing about Grapenuts is it packs well. You can't turn it to crumbs. It's already crumbs!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++