WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Colorado

Images

Default Colorado

I'm roadtripping this summer and will be staying in CO for a little bit. I have a 5 day backpacking trip on the CT (Twin Lakes to Salida) planned with a friend, but the week before I would like base camp and maybe back some peaks (14ers, or whatever I can get my hands on, I mean my feet on ). I was hoping for some thoughts on basecamps (cheap ones) that may or may not have more than one possible hike nearby. I'm looking for 10-15 miles or so. Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give me.

A little further south on the CT/CDT the trail goes by San Luis (is it?) Peak- a 14er. Its a long day hike (14-18m I'm trying to remember) that you can get to easy- from one of my favorite towns- Creede (eat at Kips) and just a beautiful area with lots of history and great hiking.

If you just want to peak bag, then you have a couple of options fairly close to Twin Lakes.

a) head into the Collegiate Range just south of Twin Lakes.
    b) Bag Mt Elbert and Mt Massive (and maybe Holy Cross) just north of Twin Lakes
    c) Head to Aspen and hike the 3 passes loop out of Maroon Bells. Those 14ers are a little more technical than the others mentioned, but that loop is incredible.

you really cant go wrong with ANY hiking you do in Colorado.

If you arent too concerned with bagging peaks and want to see some incredible scenery, head over to Rocky Mountain National and hit some of the glacial lakes

Im trying to figure out how to make a week long trip to CO a reality this summer myself.

Have a great trip.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

there are tons of camping options some free from elbert/massive area to the collegiate peaks area ( just look at the a delorme map), also i hear there's a great hostel in salida, at any rate you should check 14ers.com

++ New Posts ++