WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Am I biting off more then I can chew?

I have limited backpacking experience and am planning on hiking part of the trail.
    Day 1 clingmans dome to derrick knob. day 2 to mollies ridge and day 3 to fontana dam. This will be in late june so I'm not sure of the temps. Are the distances too far? I'm under 40 and relatively good shape. Thoughts? Advice? How about some assurance.

Thanks,
    Brian

Images

"under 40" is a bit broad, no? I see you're 38, though. Mileage sounds completely doable, but still long for someone that's not used to it. Just take lots of Vitamin I !!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

well almost 40. and yes vitamin i is my drug of choice

Images

Take some insect repellent. The black flies can be bad in June.
    The climb to Clingmans might be a nice challenge. I assume you are starting at Newfound Gap. Nice hike. You should already have made your shelter reservations.

getting dropped off at clingmans dome and hiking west. can i hike in shorts and short sleeve or are the bugs that bad?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bberk1 View Post
    getting dropped off at clingmans dome and hiking west. can i hike in shorts and short sleeve or are the bugs that bad?
    I'd hike in shorts and SS. I recall some days where it got pretty warm up there in June. Deet seems to work OK with those black flies, but not so good with deer flies and sweat bees which are like flying mouths that immediately bite before they notice the Deet. It's the black flies on the ridge that bothered me.

Keep in mind that you will be going downhill right away so I hope your knees are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bberk1 View Post
    well almost 40. and yes vitamin i is my drug of choice
    This sounds like you already know that you need pain killers to finish this hike. If this is so, you should change your plans.

On a hike you should use drugs only to get off the trail and not to finish it.

For all above: IMHO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobjob View Post
    This sounds like you already know that you need pain killers to finish this hike. If this is so, you should change your plans.

On a hike you should use drugs only to get off the trail and not to finish it.

For all above: IMHO
    That is really good advice IMHO. The negative effects show up later in life.

I take a Glucosamine-Sulfate everyday (going on 15 years now). It seems to help preserve the knees for older folks. There is no guarantees and no immediate results, but in the long run studies indicate that it helps. I look at it as cheap insurance.

It did get some small knee aches coming down from Clingmans last year with a daypack on. No permanent problems though.

Keep your load as light as possible.

I'll probably invest in some hiking poles or bring my ski poles

++ New Posts ++