WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default kelty is doing me wrong

Im hiking to maine on the trail we have had two kelty packs break in 17 days , When I called customer service and I told the lady I am a war vet doing a documentry on the trail she said i was not aloud to record the convo and she hung up on me , so yea kelty is very rude to returning war vets i still have the broken pack ,im just gonna buy a osprey on the 1st , they overnight u a new pack if yours breaks and when i called them they were very sweet !!

actualy, to be fair,...kelty received a call concerning pack replacement from you and was informed they were being recorded and that by a war vet. without alot of information, i assume the employee had no way of knowing what was their responsibility.maby to err on the side of caution, they hung up. i bet if you try again you will get the best service ever. ill bet you anything i have. in fact, if i were to call and pretend im you with the same story, and if i said honestly i was calling back to be sure of what transpired earlier, and that i belive i was done an injustice, they would satisfy any claim within reason. i gaurentee this. their simply are no major companies such as kelty in the hiking world who dont . bet ya had a bad day before you called, and mentioning filming puts the return issue secondary. no ones ready to be documented for a war vets hiking film every time they pick up the phone at work.
    matthewski

Images

Sounds like you may have called with a chip on your shoulder and a threatening attitude in your voice.

It was probably the first time you spoke with the woman, she had a bad first impression.

A friend and I had issues with our Kelty packs many years ago. We called their service department and were told to send the packs in and they would evaluate and either repair or replace. We explained that we were currently on a very extended backpacking trip, and could not be without our packs for as long as that would take. They apologized, and said there was nothing else they could offer.

Another friend suggested we call again, and this time ask to speak to someone in public relations. We did, explained our situation, and asked if there was some way they could help. To make a long story short, Kelty sent out two new pack bags, we returned the defective ones. About a month later, we also received the original bags which had been repaired.

My point is, be pleasant, speak to someone who has authority to bend the rules, and ask for assistance.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-24-2011 at 12:23.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

two Kelty packs broke? were they eaten by a bear? I own 2 Kelty packs..an Arapahoe and a Slickrock and the Slickrock is one of the best packs I've ever owned I also owned a Kelty Redwing which was also a very nice (and durable) day pack I had a Kelty Windfoil III tent (still do) once a pole broke and poked a hole in the tent body ..I called Kelty..got a return authorization and they replaced the pole and repaired the tent free of charge..all it cost me was one way shipping... Usually if you speak in a calm and nice tone to these top outdoor equipment manufacturers they will bend over backwards to help you.. But if you call in a peed off mood and threatening to record the convo..etc...I would have hung up on you too if that was the case

he said they broke. hes a vet. he just fought for your right to acuse him of being less than honorable. might wanna trust a vet. at least thats what i preach. seems i remember being told to do that as a kid. not asked. i say he broke them because he was hiking and they broke. thats where my moneys at.the packs both broke hiking. yupper. im feelin it. man,...if i had a hike,....i would hike. hike on soldier.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    two Kelty packs broke? were they eaten by a bear? I own 2 Kelty packs..an Arapahoe and a Slickrock and the Slickrock is one of the best packs I've ever owned I also owned a Kelty Redwing which was also a very nice (and durable) day pack I had a Kelty Windfoil III tent (still do) once a pole broke and poked a hole in the tent body ..I called Kelty..got a return authorization and they replaced the pole and repaired the tent free of charge..all it cost me was one way shipping... Usually if you speak in a calm and nice tone to these top outdoor equipment manufacturers they will bend over backwards to help you.. But if you call in a peed off mood and threatening to record the convo..etc...I would have hung up on you too if that was the case
    Oh to continue..I once lost a part from a Gregory pack..not a Gregory defect but a me defect...I called for payment instructions and price with shipping for a replacement part...I also admitted it wasn't their fault I lost a part but mine... The man asked for my mailing address and said he would send me the part ...free of charge and NO shipping charge...the key is "be nice." Sounds like Osprey also has good PR policy and stands behind their equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Oh to continue..I once lost a part from a Gregory pack..not a Gregory defect but a me defect...I called for payment instructions and price with shipping for a replacement part...I also admitted it wasn't their fault I lost a part but mine... The man asked for my mailing address and said he would send me the part ...free of charge and NO shipping charge...the key is "be nice." Sounds like Osprey also has good PR policy and stands behind their equipment...
    you are correct. sorry read it wrong.respect old dude.
    matthewski

Images

mweinstone..1rst I didn't say or imply that he was less than honorable (at least that wasn't my intention) I'm just really surprised that 2 Kelty back packs broke in the same group of people in 17 days, given the usual quality of Kelty packs... I have all the respect in the world for vets...I just happen to be one (vet) myself (Vietnam) If that apology was meant for me it's accepted... I realize we have had some disagreements but it's time to bury the hatchet....Thanks...

Default my bad kelty packs

The issue I had was I was hung up on i did call back josh was very nice so was dave , I used to swear by kelty packs , But day one my girl friends shoulder strap broke and so we drove that one back 150 miles , then when we got on the trail to acaully hike my girl friends pack belt broke where the mesh so her gear fell out .................i did not call with a chip on my shoulder and if you have a problem with me im at deleware water gap pa right now ...anyway im a swet guy and help every one on the trail , i did 1000 miles last time i worked for the amc three times and the american hemlock association {dont mind my spelling i dropped out of scholl on 911 } anyway i was a medic for the core so i expect good customer service , any way we are going to go with osprey packs they just seem to care more about at hikers plus we have had 2 packs break in 17 days ...hmm seems ****ty to me but anyway guys god bless all of you !!!!!!!!!!and my name is nicholas mullins if any one would like to find me on face book , also if i can ever help any one on the trail just e mail me at [email protected] ill help any one also i have saved a life on the trail before and i just gave a hiker shirts and socks so yea try me and ill help but beware im not trusting kely im scared if i send this pack back ill just another kelty that will break again and my girlfriend should have good gear i can trust

my attorny{ Lewis dean } said i have the right to record the convo and im documenting every thing on the trail so hikers know what gear is good and bad i know how to talk to compaines since my mom and step dad own 2 ,,,but yea guys im glad u like kelty but all the hikers on the trail now use gegory or osprey

Let me see......

Your first post ever on this website trashes a respected equipment manufacture, Then you spout off about being a veteran?????? Now your spouting off having the right to record your conversations on advice from your attorney......I am no expert but I think you should probably should get another attorney. I think there is some sort of law about recording conversations with out the other parties permission.

I gotta giggle here.....ALL the hikers on the trail use gegory or osprey.......Well I hike I use an Alps pack, my wife has a hard mountain, son has a go lite and daughter has a ula.

I think you should probably refrain from spouting off before you have all the facts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by medic mullins View Post
    The issue I had was I was hung up on i did call back josh was very nice so was dave , I used to swear by kelty packs , But day one my girl friends shoulder strap broke and so we drove that one back 150 miles , then when we got on the trail to acaully hike my girl friends pack belt broke where the mesh so her gear fell out .................i did not call with a chip on my shoulder and if you have a problem with me im at deleware water gap pa right now ...anyway im a swet guy and help every one on the trail , i did 1000 miles last time i worked for the amc three times and the american hemlock association {dont mind my spelling i dropped out of scholl on 911 } anyway i was a medic for the core so i expect good customer service , any way we are going to go with osprey packs they just seem to care more about at hikers plus we have had 2 packs break in 17 days ...hmm seems ****ty to me but anyway guys god bless all of you !!!!!!!!!!and my name is nicholas mullins if any one would like to find me on face book , also if i can ever help any one on the trail just e mail me at [email protected] ill help any one also i have saved a life on the trail before and i just gave a hiker shirts and socks so yea try me and ill help but beware im not trusting kely im scared if i send this pack back ill just another kelty that will break again and my girlfriend should have good gear i can trust
    That does sound like you got a couple lemons from Kelty...I was surprised though but btw I do carry Gregory packs now....not because I had problems with Kelty packs though...Maybe they're not making them like they did when I bought mine..It was quite a few years ago.. Hopefully you will have better luck with the Osprey..I've never tried one myself...

Default yea

u are right u need permision on both sides of the phone unless its a company , i use a low alpine pack for there years , also im setting in a HOSTLE NOW AND MY GIRLFRIEND IS THE ONLY ONE WITH A KELTY PACK HERE , should i post a vidieo for you sir ?

loneridgerunner there s no problem man god bless you if you ever need my help just ask and im just makeing sure ppl know my experince remember i was the one who talked my girl friend into the kelty pack , i used to swear by them to the end ........and to the rude guy i posted the fact that im war vet so ppl whould understand my mind fram a lil better but i bet you never served my country and i bet your not a very nice guy please feel free to come see me

Images

Aw, that's nice of you to invite him over like that!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I mean if the man would like to see the pack , i can post a vidieo if i need too of it ?But if he wants to be rude he should man up and come see me i love everyone but i dont know if you guys are aware but im not the only hiker who has had issues with kelty packs we have heard alot of bad stories about them .....what kind of pack do u guys think i should get my 115 pound girl friemnd ? budget is 300 bucks

Images

What model Kelty did you have problems with? It would be good on your part to provide that so that people can possibly avoid it. There are too many good reports to discount Kelty all together.

Sorry you had a couple of lemons and a disappointing customer service experience. So that you understand, and don't just think your CS representative was being a jerk, many large corporations instruct their representatives not to allow themselves to be recorded. They expect their corporate lawyers to handle any recorded calls. When I worked in a call center, we were told that if someone wanted to record our conversation, we should refer them to the legal department. That would have been better than just hanging up.

If you have a lawyer on retainer, then best to deal with it lawyer to lawyer.

By the way, as a veteran, you have my thanks and respect. As one of 22 million veterans alive in the US today, you ain't special.

I am not the one who posted this

"so yea kelty is very rude to returning war vets"

So exactly what does being a war veteran have to do with Kelty being rude to you????

Far as being nice, I am very active in my community, Scout leader, church leader, hold a job, pay taxes. I am a Veteran as well, just not a WAR veteran.

As mr. krabs pointed out......there are a lot of us around.

Got a PM from medic guy....Asking me what I have done with my life..... that is what the above post is about

I never throw that around that I'm a war vet, don't even look for special prices being retired military. That's a disservice to the service.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++