WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which external pack?

In the market for a new pack. I want an external pack of good quality for less than $150. My eyes are on three packs at the moment but I am up for suggestions. My three choices are the Kelty Trekker 65, the ALPS Mountaineering Zion which as far as I can tell is identical to the Kelty with a cheaper price tag, and then i have just stumbled on the High Sierra Bobcat which I cant find any product reviews on. I searched on the white blaze forums. Honestly the High Sierra is the most attractive pack to me. I do not like the fact that the Kelty only comes in that maroon color but comfort comes with the name. Let me know what you think.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90327

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/HSRB...=00-22583274-2

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering.../dp/B003F1199M

Images

I have a Kelty Trekker and like it very much. Can't go wrong with a Kelty...
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

kelty super tioga
    get one made after 2002 or so

dana design k2 shortbeds are sweet
    7 1/2 pounds or so but nice pack, the newer super tiogas i spoke of i thought were in the 5 pound range.(lighter stronger pack cloth material)

Images

You might want to check out Gregorys Evolution pack, discontued in 1997 I think but can still find good ones on e-bay.

Images

hi
    i saw your post about externals. I totally am thrilled with mine. I was very lucky i had one lifted a few years back and thanks to some very kind people on here i was able to replace my pack and not only with one but two! I am getting pressure as why do I need 2 of the same pack? Anyway people were very kind to me here with it and I would sort of like to pay it forward if you will. What I would do is if you want one, both are in real good shape , I will send it to you and if you, once you get it, want it then you can just send me what ever the cost of shipping is. It would do me well to know it is being put to good use on trail. I dont have a photo of the ones i have, my camera is on loan for a few weeks but the Trail Space sight has an image of the ones I have it is here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/super-tioga-4900/. I think you can email me privately with your shipping address. I wont be home until next week Wednesday the 25th and then I can ship it if you are interested. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjo View Post
    You might want to check out Gregorys Evolution pack, discontued in 1997 I think but can still find good ones on e-bay.
    It was one hell of a pack, I even got a back up waiting. Only draw back was lack of bottle holder.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

My first pack was an external pack. I quickly switched to an internal. I will never go back.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Thanks for the responses everybody. Thanks to GTG for offering me the Kelty Super Tioga 4900. I am very excited. I will post how I like the pack after I have had the chance to take it all in. I am confident that this pack will be the one for me but if for some reason I don't like it I will pass the pack on to someone else for shipping cost as GTG has requested of me. Thanks again everyone.

kelty externals are super quality, hope you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtg View Post
    hi
    i saw your post about externals. I totally am thrilled with mine. I was very lucky i had one lifted a few years back and thanks to some very kind people on here i was able to replace my pack and not only with one but two! I am getting pressure as why do I need 2 of the same pack? Anyway people were very kind to me here with it and I would sort of like to pay it forward if you will. What I would do is if you want one, both are in real good shape , I will send it to you and if you, once you get it, want it then you can just send me what ever the cost of shipping is. It would do me well to know it is being put to good use on trail. I dont have a photo of the ones i have, my camera is on loan for a few weeks but the Trail Space sight has an image of the ones I have it is here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/super-tioga-4900/. I think you can email me privately with your shipping address. I wont be home until next week Wednesday the 25th and then I can ship it if you are interested. Thanks

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gtg View Post
    ... Anyway people were very kind to me here with it and I would sort of like to pay it forward if you will. What I would do is if you want one, both are in real good shape , I will send it to you and if you, once you get it, want it then you can just send me what ever the cost of shipping is...
    Now, that is a class act!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

My first encounter with the famous "trail magic". It feels nice :-)

++ New Posts ++