WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Colorado Trail Waypoint Data

For the past several years we have sold The Colorado Trail waypoints via the Bear Creek Survey Service website for $11. We have used that money to help defray the costs of the website and considerable time involved in producing up to date files each year. Earlier this year someone who has some axe to grind about this began posting the data on pirate web sites. Recently I received a call from someone who was disraught because she had Googled "Colorado Trail Waypoints" then downloaded the data from somewhere other than my website. It came with an attached virus that destroyed the registry on her pc when she opened the files. I suspect that the same person who put it on the pirate sites in the first place is responsible. What I had previously been concerned about is that someone would alter the waypoint locations and people would get lost or misdirected, but the virus was unexpected.

In view of all this I have restructured the web site so the waypoints are now free of charge to help prevent future incidents. The waypoints may be obtained by going to http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com and following the Waypoints link on the main page. Feel free to download them, share them, whatever. I will evaluate whether it is economically feasible to continue maintenance of the website at some time in the future.

best wishes,

bearcreek

Thanks for making these available! I was going to hand enter waypoints in from the databook - this just made it a lot easier for me.

Default CT Waypoint Tables

The Colorado Trail waypoint tables, which used to be available at the CTF website, have been redone, and are now packaged with the waypoint files at: http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com. The tables on the CTF site are obsolete and will be removed soon. It was causing confusion as both sites do not get updated simultaneously. The file at the CTF site does not match the current waypoints list exactly so it would be better to get the new one if you are hand entering waypoints using the tables. If you are locked into using the old tables for some reason, don't sweat it. They will work fine. The waypoints are solid but some mileages have changed. (A few tags were amended after completion of new switchbacks in Segment 11.)

Oh, I didn't realize that's what the databook was. Only thing is I leave Thursday, can I find it somewhere in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by gooz View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize that's what the databook was. Only thing is I leave Thursday, can I find it somewhere in Denver?
    It is sold via the CTF web store but you probably won't get it in time. The new 5th edition might be on the shelves at the Main Denver REI by now. The 4th would be ok as well except it doesn't have the new route on the Collegiate West. I'm sure you can find the 4th edition somewhere in Denver. It is published by CMC Press.

2015 Waypoints are now available at no cost at www.bearcreeksurvey.com

I noticed some photos of trail crew members on the Trailsnet Colorado Trail page and was wondering if that is on segment 8 of the trail? I saw a photo of Janet's Cabin in the slideshow, & I'm pretty sure Janet's Cabin is on segment 8.

Updated 2017 waypoint data is now available at http://Www.bearcreeksurvey.com. Quite a few new water sources have been added to the waypoints list and maps, and they will also appear in the next edition of Guthooks.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++