WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

aka Kudzu
    Images

Default Siler Bald Spring is DRY

Just received this notice via Twitter from @Section_Hiker. Anyone have an alternate water source in the area? Is there actually water at Winding Stair or is it just listed because of its proximity to Franklin?
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Springer to Atkins, VA

piped spring at Winding Stair....south side of road.

Wow...I've seen this spring puking water even in droughts. Pretty weird considering the normally wet spring we've had in this area.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Thx cowpoke. I was surprised to hear it too, daddytwo.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Siler's Bald in the Smokies's spring was ALSO dry on 5/13. We tanked up at Derrick Knob and got more at Double Springs, so it's not a big deal as long as you knew about it.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Ugh. Sorry guys. I just double checked the report and it was Silers in the Smokies, not Siler in NC.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Just received this notice via Twitter from @Section_Hiker. Anyone have an alternate water source in the area? Is there actually water at Winding Stair or is it just listed because of its proximity to Franklin?
    Speaking of Winding Stair, yes they are a pipe spring in the parking lot that I have never seen dry and also the are also water 200ft in on the north side of the rd too. This is the same water supply that runs thru the campsite about a mile in....

+1 on the spring at Winding Stair Gap by the parking area. Even during the dreaded '08 southern drought, water was flowing big time.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Speaking of Winding Stair, yes they are a pipe spring in the parking lot that I have never seen dry and also the are also water 200ft in on the north side of the rd too. This is the same water supply that runs thru the campsite about a mile in....
    Thanks, Ron.

Are we set on the shuttle from NOC to Deep Gap on the 30th?
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Just came out at Fontana yesterday and Siler's in the SMNP had a good flow of water. Mollies on the other hand just had a trickle.

just since I was there a couple days ago, I thought I'd chime in. Spring is flowing at Siler Bald shelter. Not a torrent, but reasonable given the dry conditions overall.

Quote Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
    just since I was there a couple days ago, I thought I'd chime in. Spring is flowing at Siler Bald shelter. Not a torrent, but reasonable given the dry conditions overall.
    Just checking to see if anyone has been to the shelter recently? If the spring was flowing? This is NOT the smokies siler bald.

++ New Posts ++