WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default flooding on 100 mile wilderness?

I am hiking the 100 mile wilderness in the next few days and I was just wondering if anyone knows about the river crossing situation up there. Are they flooded with all this rain? Will it be safe?
    thanks

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amtxxxiv View Post
    I am hiking the 100 mile wilderness in the next few days and I was just wondering if anyone knows about the river crossing situation up there. Are they flooded with all this rain? Will it be safe?
    thanks
    The streams will be running high and fast. You'll find snow in the hills. This is not a great time to attempt the 100 miles. The danger depends on your experience, your ability to judge dangerous conditions, and the willpower to turn back, or take a long route around dangerous situations.

Thanks, if anyone has any idea of what it is like currently up there, or how it will be in the next few days that'd be great! I need to know ASAP.

Images

I'd listen to Weary, but that's me, an experienced hiker. Maybe you should channel your request over to VFTT or Rocksontop.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

The Kennebec river is at Flood Stage and its not that far way from the wilderness. Given this weeks forecast of rain every day, there is a lot of water that is going to have to make its way down the rivers and streams along the AT. I expect that many of the low spots are going to be underwater or real muddy. Plan on having to do detours.

Images

I did the "wilderness" in early June of 2006. We had seen two weeks of rain prior to my start and ALL the crossings were very deep and very fast. If it was normally ankle deep, I got waist/chest deep. I had to bushwack more than a mile before I found a "safe" place to cross little wilson stream. Even then I swam across.

Unless you're an experienced hiker when it comes to fording, I would wait for the water levels to receed a bit.

I DID have a blast challenging myself but I would wait if I were you.

Just my opinion.

David

skinny d

thank you all! we are going to wait, with all this rain the water levels will be high, as you all said. thanks for your input

Good call.
    Real time water levels from USGS
    That particular area does not have river and stream gauges but the surrounding areas
    do . Most all rivers and streams running above or much above normal for
    this time of year.
    WALK ON

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Yeah good call, and also obvious. This is the wettest part of the entire trail even when it dry out.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by amtxxxiv View Post
    thank you all! we are going to wait, with all this rain the water levels will be high, as you all said. thanks for your input
    The nice thing about the A.T. is it will still be there when you are ready for it!
    skinny d

Default Maine weather

Aside from generally high water, the temperature didn't even reach 50 degrees today in Central Maine, and it's likely cooler up in the mountains. Sounds like a recipe for hypothermia.

++ New Posts ++