Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

That Tangle-Teaser looks interesting. I have extremely thick (dense- individual hairs are fine) wavy hair that goes down to about 5 inches past my waist. I find that brushing it out each night on the trail is essential- aside from keeping out the tangles it dries the sweat and keeps hair cleaner. I had been using one of those Walmart pop out brushes, and they work ok- but they do tend to collapse back in on themselves as you use them if you have a lot of hair.

Images

Hey All,

Thanks for all of your responses to my hair inquiries I have since completed my AT thru-hike and have some advice for anyone else who may have questions similar to mine in the future. I carried a small pic with me, which weighs next to nothing and prevents breakage better than any brush. I kept my hair in a braid all day while I hiked, and let my hair out when I slept. On some of my longer stints without a shower, I would brush through my hair on the trail, but to avoid splitting my ends I tried to keep that to a minimum. The best time to comb through your hair is during a shower at a hostel/hotel/etc. when you have conditioner, or at the very least shampoo in your hair.

For the divas who are looking to thru-hike, but don't think they can make it without their razors/tweezers/deoderant/floss, don't worry- you're not alone! For me, carrying an extra half-pound or so in toiletries made my hike more enjoyable overall. The key is keeping the weight to a minimum. For example: carry only one disposable razor and have someone mail you one in future mail drops.

Hope this helps girls! Happy hiking
    Selena T.
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." -His Holiness Dalai Lama

I have crazy-curly Latina hair, so I only brush it in the shower. Which means that I will just keep it braided at all times except when I stop in town and actually get cleaned up. I know I should probably just chop it all off but I refuse to do that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    A few of my friends are planning on buzzing my head as a going away present the night before I leave. No hair = no problems.
    You Rock!!

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa2014 View Post
    I know I should probably just chop it all off but I refuse to do that.
    Unless you're going full throttle and shaving it off, cutting your hair will probably make it harder to keep out of your face. If you can, grow it out before you leave so you can always throw it in a pony or braid and you won't have to worry with a head band or bobby pins to keep fly aways out of your eyes. Of course, I really truly believe in hiking your own hike, so to each her own! These are just tips that worked for me!
    Selena T.
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." -His Holiness Dalai Lama

I also have long, curly (frizzy) hair. I find it easier to keep it French braided and pick it out in the mornings and rebraid before hitting the trail.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Take a small lightweight comb - the body shoppe makes a nice, sturdy wooden comb, I take it everywhere. A bit of body lotion/sunscreen (any cream) will serve as a conditioner in case you have trouble combing out your hair. No need to carry conditioner as any lotion will do the job. To keep it looking less greasy, if you can't wash it, take baby powder which works great as a dry shampoo. Baby powder is also a great foot powder/drying agent.

Images

I had long, natural curly hair. I cut it all off. Its easy to maintain. I don't carry a brush or any of my hair products. The only crappy thing about it is my neck is always cold. When I had my long hair, I would simply braid it but it took FOREVER to dry. Im glad I don't have to deal with the tangles. Do what makes you comfy. I do miss my long hair though. It will grow back again. its just hair.
    It will all be okay in the end. If not, it's not the end. ~ Unknown

Ditto the small folding brush with the mirror inside....

Try a small spray bottle of cider vinegar to detangle wet hair. You need very little but will comb easily, shine and smell good. Once hair is dry there is no smell. Cider vinegar has a multitude of uses: helps with heartburn, soothes sunburns, deodorize and cleans clothes, and could add to food.

Well... I've done it. I have cut most of my long, straight, and heavy hair off. Low ponies were making my neck sweat under gaiters and hoods. High ponies and buns were giving me headaches and would stay wet for days. I cut my hair just above where my pack reaches. New problem.... Hair seems to get dirty/greasy much faster. Maybe from playing with my new do too much. And OMG... The bed head!!! May have to where a hanky the entire hike. Ha

I'm going to do pigtails. Or pigtail buns at the very least.

You're a brave woman.

i just got my hair dreaded, took 15 plus hours but now i dont have as much work taking care of it on the trail

As the owner of the prettiest hair on the trail-
    Banded pigtails are the best. (ponytail holder every few inches)
    The banded pigtail tends to fray less than braids do as your hair maintains a little bounce and doesn't rub on the shoulder straps all day. Unless you're going for that look you also don't get the braided effect when your hair is down.

This is followed by a high pony half tail pinned down by your visor on a hot day.
    Unless your hair is the perfect length- a regular pony tail's tail will bounce and tangle on the top of your pack all day. (if you were curious why you have a rats nest at the end)

Shaving it off is still easiest.

Hair ties can be looped around daisy chains or other places to use as mini-bungee cords for hanging socks or other items to dry. You don't even need long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The banded pigtail tends to fray less than braids do as your hair maintains a little bounce and doesn't rub on the shoulder straps all day. Unless you're going for that look you also don't get the braided effect when your hair is down.
    Hmm, I always wondered why I see men doing this with their hair (and oddly enough, never females!) I might give it a try...if my hair ever gets long enough again.

Another vote here for braided pigtails. I can go 4 days before my hair even starts to look greasy when I do that...

I've done banded pigtails. It's better for your hair than braids. (But not as attractive IMO.)

I'm going back to scrunchies too. Ouchless hair bands still damage hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

This is followed by a high pony half tail pinned down by your visor on a hot day.
    Unless your hair is the perfect length- a regular pony tail's tail will bounce and tangle on the top of your pack all day. (if you were curious why you have a rats nest at the end)

Shaving it off is still easiest.

Hair ties can be looped around daisy chains or other places to use as mini-bungee cords for hanging socks or other items to dry. You don't even need long hair.
    I find this amusing... LOL! I hope your wife as awesome hair too or she could be jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I find this amusing... LOL! I hope your wife as awesome hair too or she could be jealous!
    She is jealous.
    Thankfully my massively misplaced ego and her ability to shred it evens the playing field.

I picked up a combo pop-up brush & mirror in the travel-size section at Target.
    http://www.target.com/p/studio-basic...r/-/A-13333099

I wear a hat 100% of the time, so I don't care whether or not it looks greasy. I usually just keep it in a ponytail and don't bother combing it, but do bring a small comb along in case it's been awhile without a shower and my head starts to feel itchy.

The joys of thru-hiking

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++