WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Pills

Default Carrying Pills

I will be carrying 2 maybe 3 different pills with me when i hike.

1. Allergy Medication - Terrible allergies
    2. Metformin - Diabetic
    3. Vitamins - Do i really need these or will i be urinating all of it out anyways?

I don't want to bring the bottles because of the weight. I have thought about plastic bags but am a little concerned about a tear in the bag. Has anyone used anything else with success.
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed, so LIVE today!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I use a ziplock freezer bag for my migraine pills and consciously keep it as dry as I do my sleeping bag.

Nothing worse than hiking with a migraine - which I get when a strong cold front is coming in. Which is pretty often.

Images

1. I also have terrible allergies, but I've never had the slightest problem with them on the trail, just when i stopped in towns, hopefully you will luck out (i was very shocked)
    3. I found the days that I forgot to take my vitamins kinda sucked.

I started out w/ plastic baggies, but ended up with a bottle, found it to be multi-functional too, i looked for something small and light weight, be sure to know the difference btn your pills, and also a bottle is a great place to store a sewing needle and not have to worry about it putting holes everywhere, i also used it for putting duct tape around...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    I started out w/ plastic baggies, but ended up with a bottle, found it to be multi-functional too, i looked for something small and light weight, be sure to know the difference btn your pills, and also a bottle is a great place to store a sewing needle and not have to worry about it putting holes everywhere, i also used it for putting duct tape around...
    If you still have any of the old 35-mm film canisters around, they're great lightweight, sturdy containers for pills, spices, etc. Stuff 'em into the core of your TP roll to optimize space.

My wife ordered some pill baggies from Amazon, similar to the craft ones, but they open on the long side. I grabbed a few and use them. Each day's goodies go into a labeled bag (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) I know what the morning routine is vs. the evening group, so it's easy to see if I forgot to take something. Mostly mine are vitamins, aspirin and fish oil caplets, so this simple method works well enough for me.

Images

I use pill bags from Walmart. I haven't had a single problem. No tears, no inadvertent openings, not even any crushed pills. In each baggie I put one day of vitamins: 1 multi, 4 calcium, 2 vitamin E, 1 vitamin C, 2 glucosamine/chondriton, 3 ibuprofen. I also carry another baggie full of ibuprofen.

Thumbs up Just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    If you still have any of the old 35-mm film canisters around, they're great lightweight, sturdy containers for pills, spices, etc. Stuff 'em into the core of your TP roll to optimize space.
    Go to the photo shop at Wally World and ask for empty containers. They are glad to get rid of them.

Eze-Dose pill pouches are available in the Walmart pharmacy. $1.29 for 50 the last time I bought some.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Not sure about potential chemical residues in film canisters, so I don't use those for something I'm going to consume. I use small containers (available at Dicks, Wally world, gear stores, etc.) instead. I put a tiny bit of paper in with instructions if necessary, and pill identification, i.e. brown=ibuprofen, red=benadryl, white=tylenol.

Default pills

I have used the snack size zip-locks then put them all in a sandwich size, it helps keep them together. I also put a slip of paper in with each different pill stating what it is and dose, it helps in case of emergency. Another thing I have done is to use one of the small pocket tackle boxes about 3"X4"X1.5" these usually have lids on both sides, makes it nice for morning and evening meds, then place that in a ziplock to help keep moisture out.

Images

The zipper bags I use are for jewelry (it's nice to have a friend in the business). Get some little driers ( dessicants) from your pharmacist (they just throw them away) to keep pills from getting moist.
    Seek, and you shall find.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I carried all mine in snack size Ziplocs. Never an issue.

I believe vitamins are a good idea. I used them throughout my hike. I also took glucosomine for knees, calcium, cranberry, CoQ, and a mega Vitc C tablet along with my prescription

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i like the idea about writing down what pills are what and what the dosage is. since i have plenty of time before my thru i will be trying several of these ideas out. thanks for all of the suggestions!

Images

check with your doc about continuing your typical metformin dosage while undertaking strenuous backpacking. I bonked on a past section a few years ago with muscle pain and fatigue. Doc said it may have been due to metformin flushing out minerals / electrolites needed for muscle repair and recovery. He has since cut out the met and replaced it with other, albeit, more costly meds. I'm a type two and witheld all meds for my recent 100 mile section. With lots of strenuous walking and sensible eating, my numbers stayed within acceptable ranges.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Thanks Chief, i will defiantly ask my doctor about Metformin. That would be great if I stayed level through out my thru. I happen to like Metformin because i can get it for free at Publix.

Plastic wrap for the day's pills.. keep these all in plastic bag.. seems to work just fine.

I carried all mine in snack size Ziplocs. Never an issue.- Blissful

Ditto! I place a little hand written label in my baggies describing the total # of each individual supplement, the dosage(mg) of each pill, the daily dosage and/or number of pills to take daily, a brief visual description of the pills(some look alike), and how many days they will last until needing to resupply. And, I carry about 10-12 different supplements on thruhikes mailing myself about 10 - 21 days worth at at time via USPS flat rate priority boxes to general delivery or places that will hold a box for me.

To each their own, and I DO NOT want to enter into a debate on the effectiveness of what supplements(not really vitamins!) I chose to take, other than to say I will not do a thru-hike without my supplements. They are DEFINITELY beneficial for me!

Images

The bigger snack size bags do work, as does any bigger bag, but I like the little pill bags because it makes it super easy to know if I've taken all my pills for the day. If I have an empty baggie, I've succeeded. Also, I use a gallon size ziplock for my daily consumption. All the food, electrolytes and pills that I'm supposed to eat each day and nothing more goes in that bag.

Images

The bigger snack size bags do work, as does any bigger bag, but I like the little pill bags because it makes it super easy to know if I've taken all my pills for the day. If I have an empty baggie, I've succeeded. Also, I use a gallon size ziplock for my daily consumption. All the food, electrolytes and pills that I'm supposed to eat each day and nothing more goes in that bag.

Keep in mind that in some places it is illegal to carry prescription medications in any container other than the pill bottle the pharmacy gives you. This is mostly a way to catch people who are selling their pills, and as a practical matter most elderly people have those plastic containers labeled M - T - W - T - F - S - S so they can have all their pills laid out for the week. But technically a sweet old lady could be arrested for carrying her pills around in her purse in one of those containers. Most police officers will use common sense in enforcing this law, but if you take pain meds like Oxycodone or Vicodin or Percocet or something like that and you get caught without the pill bottle you might end up getting into trouble because a lot of these kinds of pills are sold on the black market for recreational use.

You need a way to prove that you legitimately have a prescription for the pills you are carrying, and that pill bottle is what the law requires in many places. Its not that heavy, and certainly no heavier than the film canisters people recommend...and a film canister with pills in it is a definite red flag for illegal drugs.

When I brought prescription antibiotics on the trail I pealed the label off the bottle and stuck it on the ziplock I carried them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++