WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I just bought a full length insulated air mattress.

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Elite AC

It's spec'd at 14 ounces, but people and POE are saying the production versions are actually a couple ounces lighter.
    I was looking at the 2/3 size Elite AC It shows 11.75 but people have been posting 10 oz. Not sure if I want this on or the Neoair small

I have used and love my NeoAir Large for 2 seasons now and it is crazy comfortable for 17oz. My only complaints are the occasional need to re-inflate the pad during the night and (this is a common issue with all 2.5" or greater height pads) the greater height tends to eat into most tents floor space, due to aggressively sloping walls.

With that complaint in mind, I just got my hands on a Klymat Inertia XL pad, which is the big-brother to the ultra light Inertia pad. Initial impressions after only one over-night are that the pad is surprisingly comfortable, especially considering it only raises you about 1.5" off the ground, and since it is much lower to the ground, it does not eat up the head/foot space in your tent as much as a NeoAir, Exped, BA, etc. For you taller guys, this might be a total blessing. I'll try to provide a much more detailed report on this pad once I have enough pack time with it.

Here is a link to the Inertia XL in case you're interested: http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/inertiaxl.html

Most of the time on 3 season hikes, preferably not on snow, NeoAir shortie with empty pack and maps under legs. Sometimes I'll add a 1/8" cut down CCF pad under that or polycro ground sheet. Sometimes I'll just go with a cut down 1/4" CCF pad as my only sleeping pad. When colder med length NeoAir with 1/4 or 1/8 CCF pad. ALL assuming I'm sleeping on the ground.

Whilke hammocking I have not worked it entirely out yet. Currently, I prefer NO pad while hammocking.

the corrolation betwix tired and comfy are being missed.if you dont hike enough, you need more pad. if you hike enough , you need less pad. all pads work including no pad. its all in the tired. admit it or toss. when you understand your pads tired rateing, you never dare lay on it untired or not tired enough.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I was looking at the 2/3 size Elite AC It shows 11.75 but people have been posting 10 oz. Not sure if I want this on or the Neoair small
    I can't help you. I hate short pads because they move too much under me when I flop around at night.

That's an amusing, interesting, and valid analysis Matty!

How do you come up with this stuff? Serious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That's an amusing, interesting, and valid analysis Matty!

How do you come up with this stuff? Serious.
    It is true though I have slept places when I am exhausted that I would never consider on a normal day.

Having said that, I am a wimp theses days, and I like to call it quits before I am exhausted.

I just got an Exped UL 7 Synmat to replace my BA IAC. I will be trying it if the field this weekend, but so far, I like it, and I love the weight.

My decesion was made yesterday when Rowdy Yates posted gear he was selling.
    Bought a slightly used Neoair small for $55.00. Pretty happy with that deal. Thanks Rowdy!!!

bfayer

Not sure what you use for a pillow, but I tied a couple of very small diameter stretch cords to the tie-outs at the top of the UL7. I use my clothes stuff sack, tuck it in the bungees and there you go. Works great and the pillow stays put !!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    bfayer

Not sure what you use for a pillow, but I tied a couple of very small diameter stretch cords to the tie-outs at the top of the UL7. I use my clothes stuff sack, tuck it in the bungees and there you go. Works great and the pillow stays put !!
    You know what, it's funny you brought that up. I use an Exped inflatable pillow. When I saw the UL 7 at REI, I fell in love and thought it would be a perfect match with my pillow. But (and there is always a but), when I got home I opened up my new mat and the tie out tabs are no where to be found.

I emailed Exped and asked them if the tabs were a new change and did I get on old production run, or was the tab removal a new production change and my pad is the newest one. Well their answer was the tabs were removed from new production, and new UL 7s do not have the tabs

So my challenge now is to attach my pillow to my pad. I was looking at the repair kit, and it looks like I can add my own tabs using the material in the repair kit. After the trip this weekend, I will decide what I am going to do.

Images

Neoair, short for long trips; regular for short trips.
    Underquilt when I hammock
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Neo.......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Neo.......

The one?

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'm happy with the Thermarest Z-Rest. I'm 5'10" tall and 175 Lbs. I cut off a couple sections so the pad weighs .85 lbs. now. Quite comfortable.
    virgil

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    My full length pad arrived on Friday. It weighs under 11 ounces. Not bad for a full size insulated air mattress.

Images

I use an Army surplus green inflatable. It's a little heavy but very comfortable. But like a wise man once said, "a man should have good boots and a good mattress because when your not in one your in the other."
    " Take nothing but memories, kill nothing but time, leave nothiing but goodwill."

Default Sleeping Pad poll

Exped Down Mat, shortie. I was a convert to the Big Agnes Air Core, but valve failures on three different ones over 4 years ( that can't be repaired) sent me to Eped. Their valves are much more ergonomically suited to repeated use on the Trail, and the covering is less prone to sliding around.
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

My full length pad arrived on Friday. It weighs under 11 ounces. Not bad for a full size insulated air mattress.

Can't wait to hear some field testing on that pad. Good luck

I also nabbed an AC Elite Regular (full length). Mine weighs in at 10.7 oz alone, 11.6 oz with stuff sack, patch kit and Velcro tie. It is narrow when inflated but the large outside tubes really coddle you and make it quite comfortable, even for these wide shoulders. Packs crazy small. Seems like an "everything you need, nothing you don't" type of pad, but it truly is comfortable.

A Neo killer? Let's see... It packs smaller, weighs less and is easily as insulating as a Exped Synmat UL 7, certainly more so than the NeoAir. It does not need to be re-inflated in the middle of the night, and while the mummy shape will take a bit of getting used to, it easily seems well worth the trade-off for weight savings and smaller packed size. The biggest kicker: I bought mine for $65 shipped. That is 1/2 off a Neo air or Exped UL7. Hard to beat that! So far, I'm impressed.

Used a Z-rest for years, trying out a Kooka Bay short for 10 days in July. Saving space, hopefully increasing comfort for old guy hips.

Cosmo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++