WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The Crazy One

Exclamation The Crazy One

Is it possible to thru hike the trail with a small pack as Earl Shaffer did in '48 or with as little gear as he carried?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Is it possible to thru hike the trail with a small pack as Earl Shaffer did in '48 or with as little gear as he carried?
    Yes, if you only carry rice and don't shower.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Yes, if you're as tough as he was. I regret not getting to meet him.

yes, in fact it has already been done.

Images

Why not? Nothing is stopping you from doing so.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

is this a trick question?

I can see it now...a special forum for hikers who use only retro gear several decades old...

Default The Crazy One

I've meet Earl many times before he hiked his last mile on this world. I never heard of anyone doing what he did since his death. Everyone into this super light gear but Earl did it way back in '48 with a 16 lbs pack! My question is this, can it be done with today's gear? If so, how??

I got to hang w/ Earl at the PAruck years ago- good times...

but yes- wolf23000 goes with like 9 lbs.

...wonder what Grandma Gs' gear weighed...?

Images

I've meet Earl many times before he hiked his last mile on this world. I never heard of anyone doing what he did since his death. Everyone into this super light gear but Earl did it way back in '48 with a 16 lbs pack! My question is this, can it be done with today's gear? If so, how??
    Plenty of people hike the trail with a 16 pound base weight. I don't think many of them are carrying the same gear that Earl did, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I would imagine it could be done with even a far smaller weight. Probably 2 or 3 pounds. (knife, ferro rod, and a lightweight blanket.) I couldn't do it, and wouldn't want to, but I'm sure there are people out there far more badass than myself who could...

The real question is how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist".

Quote Originally Posted by subliminal View Post
    I would imagine it could be done with even a far smaller weight. Probably 2 or 3 pounds. (knife, ferro rod, and a lightweight blanket.) I couldn't do it, and wouldn't want to, but I'm sure there are people out there far more badass than myself who could...

The real question is how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist".
    The only gear you need is a credit card lol. You cant be a survivalist a dozen miles from a supermarket.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

From his writings and from talking with him at Gatherings:
    Here's a gear list for ye;

Mountain Troop Ruck Sack (a framepack)
    Air Corp survival tent (soon to be sent home to save several pounds)
    Marine Corp poncho
    rainhat
    "paper mill" blanket (soon to have the tent's zipper added)
    Marble Company match safe, compass, sheath knife
    sewing kit
    snakebite kit
    toothbrush (minus handle)
    razor
    potato sack
    Mountain Troop cook kit
    spoon
    pencils
    pocket knife
    Army can opener
    twine
    spatula
    Little black notebook
    Retina camera and case with neck strap
    color film
    roadmap
    Great Smoky Park map, other road maps, postcards
    flashlight
    comb
    Quinsana footpowder
    Food for a week- canned milk, tea, oatmeal, cornmeal, canned Vienna sausage,
    cheese, bread, brown sugar
    Clothing-T shirts, Navy turtleneck, Mountain Cloth pants, wool-cotton socks, Birdshooter boots with the heels shaved off

That gear got a fellow called 'The Crazy One' from Georgia to Maine.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 05-15-2011 at 22:17.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I met a guy near Waynesboro that had made some shoulder straps from paracord and tied everything he carried to it, which wasn't a whole hell of a lot. He had a sheet of tyvek that he used as a sleeping bag, ate only power bars and what he ate in town...at 25+ miles a day he didn't have to carry more than a day or two of food at a time. I didn't ask him how much weight he was carrying because the obvious answer was virtually nothing.

Images

No. ATC regs state one and only one male over the age of 40 can hike the AT in this manner per 200 years. The reservation list for the next 200 years is about 875 people long right now. Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Yes, if you only carry rice and don't shower. - WingedMonkey

That was quick! LOL

.....how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist". - Subliminal

Ditto. My thoughts too. Sometimes(often?), I know/Strongly Suspect I have not heard the complete story. It would seem at least some aspects of the so called hike are obviously being left out!

OOH OOOH OOOOH OOOOOH Mr Kotter Mr Kotter, Umm, excuse me excuse me, Mr Kotter, I have some questions.

I think the trail was a lot different than it is today, in the route it took, as well as folks who lived nearby. It probably went through or near a lot more towns, and people were shocked to hear that someone was actually hiking the whole thing, would often invite him to spend the nite, not something that is as prevalent today.

I think the trail was a lot different than it is today, in the route it took, as well as folks who lived nearby. It probably went through or near a lot more towns, and people were shocked to hear that someone was actually hiking the whole thing, would often invite him to spend the nite, not something that is as prevalent today.

HYOH. I have gone with anywhere from about 12 lbs to 65. I have settled over the years with about 35 now, it suits me.

++ New Posts ++