WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

when ever i pushd 20s the last five six miles i would get real sore and all so id say the pain never truely went away you just learn to cope.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post

Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo
    Well, everyone is different, but here is my experience...

60+ mile day hikes

!

Surely that's a typo...seems impossible
    Well, not impossible, but it is a 20 hour day & you don't get to spend much time sitting down . But my point was really that even though I can do a big day with no foot pain...it caught up with me eventually on my thru-hike.
    But to the OP...as you can see from the responses, everyone is different. Some start with pain & it goes away, others start OK but get the aches later on, a lucky few have no pain at all, then there are the poor soles (ha ha) who just plain hurt all the way..... and that is the mental toughness that will get you to the end of a thru-hike. You really do need to be prepared to be in pain every day, and yet still enjoy yourself........

Images

DW you don't say what your footwear is, or how old it is, where you are walking and how much you are carrying. My feet, in NB912'q hurt after walking for 3-4 miles on pavement. yet after pounding down 10 miles in the woods, I am fine. Also as was mentioned, if you have trail runners, they could look new, but the midsole may already be disintegrated enough to not afford protection or let your arch start to stretch out.
    As far as custom orthotics, were they fitted long ago? Your feet will tend to wide and stretch out after long hikes - Could this also be a factor? If it is a mere annoyance, I would try changing up footware, hit up the Ibu and deal with it, if it is chronic, then maybe back to the Podiatrist.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by dog_walkin View Post
    I'm curious of those who hike the AT. Is there a point at which your feet aren't aching at the end of the day? If you start hiking 10 miles a day and work your way to 20+, do your feet still hurt at the end of the day the way they did when you first started? Does the ache ever go away, and if so when? Weeks, months, never?

I've never hiked on a continual basis the way one would on a thru-hike. My feet are always aching after a 10+ mile hike, and I'm wondering does it really ever get better?
    Yes
    No
    Yes, about a month
    Actually most thrus have their feet get somewhat numb after a 1000 miles. you still have feeling but your feet become shoe like. For me this lasts after you stop for at least the number of months that you hiked.
    Yes it gets better on Flash Hikes (F ing Long A$$ Section Hiking).

I should qualify my previous post. I rarely do more than 20 miles per day and never if there is not massive quantities of food at the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++