WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doglvr View Post
    Getting ready to mail in my campground request to Baxter this week for mid to late June and was curious if anyone has ever hung a hammock at Katahdin Stream? Do they not allow it or are there no places to hang? Should I note it on the request?
    You need to camp inside the footprint of the campsite, and you must not damage any trees. That pretty much rules out hanging. Your best bet is to rent a lean-to and use your hammock as a bug bivy.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I did disagree with the statement that the campsites between the AT and the stream are the best. I personally like the one on the other side of the stream as the sites along the AT have a lot of traffic going by without a lot of privacey and the tents sites in the mainecampground area are in the open with zero privacy. The shelters and tentsites ont he south side of the stream are a lot quieter with less traffic, plus if you want to visit the birches, its a slightly quicker walk up the road.

Ok, so hope this is not too off the thread..I am planning to finish my last sections of the AT in Maine this fall, and have 2 pieces to do: Andover to Stratton, and Whitehouse landing to Katahdin. (I originally planned to finish the entire AT during last hike 2 yr ago doing all of Maine but got bad spider bite and had to leave the trail). So..I would have been able to just plan to stay at the Birches, being that I had been hiking from Stratton, but now with only the short piece from whitehouse, will I have to make alternate arrangements? Or just show up at the Birches as a "thru hiker", even tho I didnt come all the way from Monson? It will be around the first week of Sept (but a weekday after labor day) most likely when I reach that point. I also was considering going across the knife edge and down to the campground on the back side, but would have to take my pack(ULA P2) rather than a day pack. I have heard rumors that the rangers can somehow shuttle your pack to the campground, is that realistic?
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Quote Originally Posted by cutman11 View Post
    So..I would have been able to just plan to stay at the Birches, being that I had been hiking from Stratton, but now with only the short piece from whitehouse, will I have to make alternate arrangements? Or just show up at the Birches as a "thru hiker", even tho I didnt come all the way from Monson?
    You have to hike in from at least Monson to stay at the Birches Long Distance hikers site.

Quote Originally Posted by cutman11 View Post
    I have heard rumors that the rangers can somehow shuttle your pack to the campground, is that realistic?
    Nope. Once in a while a Ranger may do someone a favor - that doesn't mean anyone should plan on it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The shelters and tentsites ont he south side of the stream are a lot quieter with less traffic, plus if you want to visit the birches, its a slightly quicker walk up the road.
    Those walk in sites are really nice.
    http://www.baxterstateparkauthority...._Stream_08.pdf
    Teej

Thanks for responses everybody. Sent the app in today with 3 sets of 2 days each and requested LTs on each. Don't want to risk a campsite that might not have a spot for a hammock or not allow one.

So, I got the reservation back. They gave me one night. Not sure if they just didn't read the form or if they don't like giving out of staters 2 nights. You have to laugh. So my hope is that the shuttle from AT Inn will get us to Baxter early enough of the morning of my reservation day to climb Katahdin and then camp that night and start south the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by doglvr View Post
    So, I got the reservation back. They gave me one night. Not sure if they just didn't read the form or if they don't like giving out of staters 2 nights. You have to laugh. So my hope is that the shuttle from AT Inn will get us to Baxter early enough of the morning of my reservation day to climb Katahdin and then camp that night and start south the next morning.
    You probably waited too long to mail in your request, which is most likely why you only got one nite. I sent mine in two weeks ago for an August stay, had no problems getting my first choice for two nites, and I am also out of state.

Journal Entries
    Images

A few words of advise: During my 01 thru I flipped. My wife drove me, along with a friend and another thru-hiker to Maine to start hiking SOBO. It was July 21. Spent the night at the AT Loge in Millinocket and left for Baxter the next morning at 5 am. When we arrived at the gate there was already a line of about 15 cars waiting for the park to open. At 7 they started to let cars into the park. When we arrived at the gate the attendant asked what we were planning to do. We told her that we wanted to go to Katahdin Springs campground to be left off and hike the AT Hunt Trail up the mountain. The attendant informed us that Katahdin Springs campgrounds was at it's limit and we would not be allowed to enter it. After some thought we asked the attendant where else we could hike. She directed us to another location. Our plan was to find where the At crossed the park tote road, get out and start hiking. We just hoped that there would not be someone at he campgrounds checking. We came to the AT. My wife let us out and off we hiked.
    When going to Baxter to hike Katahdin make sure that you make some phone calls to make the proper arrangements before you go.
    Grampie-N->2001

I think they just mis-read the form. I got the approval 27 days out from the dates requested (6/18-20) - which was my first choice. They gave me the 19th. I'm totally cool with it. I had just read in some places that state residents get preference dates especially July and August. Not sure if that was accurate or not. I'm just thrilled that I have everything set. Praying for no delays in flights/buses on my way in...... and of course for decent weather that morning to the summit. Would love to start a 30 day hike off on a good note.

If I can't let them know more then a week or two ahead of time of the date that I will start in the first half of July, does that mean I have no chance at a campsite for even 1 night on a weekday?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can make them four months prior using an online form. Two weeks is for phone ins. See http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....tion/index.php

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

The more notice the better. But the crunch tends to come later as the north bounders start arriving -- or did. I've sort of lost touch. Most ME to Ga folks used to get squeezed in somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    If I can't let them know more then a week or two ahead of time of the date that I will start in the first half of July, does that mean I have no chance at a campsite for even 1 night on a weekday?

Journal Entries

Hello; I am not a hiker, so this is all new to me. My son and a couple of other hikers will be getting to Katahdin around Oct 12. What should I do 1st ? I am traveling up from VT to pick them up and I am not familiar with any of Millinocket or Katahdin. Should I get a room in town or get a campsite for them ? Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful. Thanks, Mike G

Your son gets to stay in special campsite called the Birches which is immediately before Katahdin Stream Campground. There is a limited capacity so he could possibly have to spend a night outside the park at Abol Bridge to get to into the Birches. He can climb the summit from outside the Park but it makes for a long day. So if you know where he is on what day, you could reserve a campsite for he and his friends at Katahdin Stream and then they don't have to worry about the Birches. From the Birches he gets up in the morning and hikes up the mountain to summit. Most hikers head back down the either the Hunt Trail (the AT) to Katahdin Stream or the Abol Trail down to Abol campground. They easily can be down off the mountain by 3 to 4 PM. If you are picking him up, there are other options to come down, possibly ending up at Roaring Brook. Most of the sites in the park are booked the weekend of the 12th so making reservations for yourself in the park is not currently an option. If you want or need this info go to this link http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/ and check availability. If you want to meet him at the parking lot at Katahdin Stream and plan to be parked any period of time, you have to make a day use parking reservation at this location http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....e/duproverview. Currently there are only a few slots open at Katahdin Stream. You potentially will get hassled and asked to leave the park if you try to just sit in your car and wait for him at this parking lot without a day use pass. If the weather is marginal, there are many no shows and you can probably get a pass at the gate from a no show.

There are several local motels in Millinocket (no national chains). Alternatively there are national chains in Bangor Maine (about 1 hour and 20 minutes south of Millinocket. The Millinocket motels are about 45 minutes to the park gate and another 45 minutes from the gate to Katahdin Stream via the park roads. The park roads are narrow, bumpy and dusty and 25 MPH is the speed limit and about as fast as most would want to drive. You have to pay $14 to drive into the park unless you have Maine Plates and they will give you road map that shows where you need to go.

Cell service is marginal to non existent in the Park so ensuring he is in the park and ready to be picked up is a challenge. Cell phones normally work above tree line so he could call you as he is heading down before going in the woods. Using this method you pick a time to meet him awhile after he plans to be at the trailhead.

Most thru hikers will be catching a bus at Medway (at the Interstate exit that leads to Millinocket) or a flight from Bangor or possibly Portland. The bus in Medway leaves early (9:30 AM) so many thru hikers will stay in town the night before or will hitch a ride south and skip the bus. You can easily head out of the town and down I95 after you have picked him up.

Journal Entries

Thanks Peak: I will read this thru a couple of times and then probably have more question, if you are willing to help some more. I think I will try to get a room in Millinocket for a couple of days. My son is not real good about giving me details, so I want to be as prepared as I can be. I used to watch a TV show about logging in Millinocket. The Pelletier family was the main focus of the show. They opened a restaurant in one show and I would like to go there if they are open. I am semi retired, so I have the time and this is a 1 time deal for me and my boy. Thanks again, Mike G.

Images

The Pelletier Loggers Family Restaurant Bar And Grill is located next to the AT Lodge in Millinocket. It is open and worth a look.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Please don't call it 'the big K' or 'Mount Katahdin' - the name of the mountain is Katahdin, and the summit is Baxter Peak.
    Katahdin means 'the greatest mountain', but the name recorded officially as Mt Katahdin as decided by the US Board on Geographic Names in 1893 , so meaning 'Mount The Greatest Mountain'.

So Mt Katahdin is correct, but redundant.

The Pelletiers trucking garage is not far out of Millinocket, basically follow the signs to the hospital on Rt 11 (west) and about 1/2 mile from the Hospital turn right across from the mill gate. You are now on the Golden Road, their shop is about a 1/2 mile in on the right. (they don't offer tours). The stretch of the Golden road out of Millinocket, past the Pelletiers place is signed no trespassing (although many ignore it) for a few miles. To legally access it drive north out of Millinocket following the Baxter State Park signs and to the Ambejesus lake dam. The Golden road runs parallel to the state road on your left and you can turn on it there. If you stay on the Golden Road, the AT crosses the road at the Abol Bridge Road and you may want to stop in and see the thruhikers register to see if your son has passed through into the park. In theory unless the Birches is full from this point he is about 2 to 3 hours to the Birches.

The Pelletiers Restaurant is on the Main street of Millinocket just down the road from the AT café (good spot for breakfast) many thruhikers stop there.

Journal Entries

Thanks all for your help. I am heading up on Thursday, Oct 10. The kid should be at Katahdin stream camp ground that day to hike up to the summit. Hope all goes well for him and his fellow hikers. I am really looking forward to the trip and visiting Millinocket and Katahdin. Thanks again, Mike G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++