WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I read somewhere that stick deodorants, not gels, work well to prevent chafing! Use it like Body Glide. Have you heard of deodorant being used in this fashion?

I had a coworker who was on a Army running team and said they used right guard.

All you need is compression boxers and you chafing problem is over.

Personally, I solved my chafing with Under Armour Boxerjox 9-inch. No more chafing and designed to provide ventilation, and room, for your junk.

Ah this isnt true at all actually, I tried compression shorts of the right size for over 100 miles and it didnt fix the problem so no for some that might not solve it chairman lol

This is my routine and it has worked for me:

Compression shorts
    dry fit light shorts
    bodyglide
    body wipes for cleaning at end of day
    sleep naked to let air out or at least sleep in some of those patagonia underwear that are loose fitting
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

^^ You're definitely right. I usually have no 'problem areas' but I have chafed before one time (with proper fitting boxers + shorts) and it was a terrible experience. Ruined my hike. After that, I've never left my house w/out bodyglide.

"Wash the area with an anti-microbial agent"
    - Agreed.... and be prepared for the burn
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

I used to have pretty serious chafing issues

Switched to a hiking kilt...............helped a LOT

Carry foot powder for socks, that helps as does antibiotic ointment.

I had a chance to test the rumors that coconut oil helps with chafing last week on the BMT. Tried it out and re applied a couple of times a day. Totally resolved the issue fire me.

Good topic. Some questions --

For men, are under armour compression shorts intend to be worn as outerwear or underwear? If outwear, what kind of underwear goes best with them to prevent chaffing?

What's the best garment that combines anti-chaffing with anti-tick properties? Would the underarmour leggings serve this purpose?

Finally, has anyone tried the "hosiery" type products marketed to men, like activskin: http://www.glieberman.com/a876-therm...ghts-with-fly/ Would these serve double duty as chaffing prevention and tick deterrance as well?

I use antiperspirant (Degree antiperspirant/deodorant) and it works well. I used to chafe in the thighs/groin running just 15-20 miles, but with the Degree I haven't had a problem once. I even did a 50-miler and after fourteen-and-a-half hours, my armpits chafed (I didn't apply any antiperspirant there because I never had a problem before), but my crotch was still going strong.

Note: I also use compression shorts, but the compression shorts alone were not solving the problem.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Never used antiperspirant during a hike, but have used it to alleviate pain once chafed. It always has taken the sting right out...so it stands to reason that it might serve to prevent...although 90 degrees with high humidity seems to be very difficult to prevent chafing. Chafed the last day of my hike after 7 years of no chafing....my kilt and smartwool boxer briefs were soaked from the heat and humidity...also the first time I've ever seen that happen.

On hikes I use bodyglide...liberally.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    All you need is compression boxers and you chafing problem is over.
    This is what solved my problems. and the advice on this thread.

Journal Entries
    Images

I picked up some Body Glide at ASports yesterday. Already have the UA shorts. Ready to go to CDT. I leave June 16th. Wahooooooooo!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Never had a problem on short hikes (less than ten miles). I've used boxer briefs since I started. Did a three day trip on the foothills trail in march. Twelve mile day, 14 mile day and 10 mile day. At the end my right thigh/groin joint area was chafed pretty bad.
    Switched to plain briefs and hiking kilt for our mountain marathon. End of 20 miles (one day) I was chafed again, same place, but not as bad. I'm going to try that body glide stuff... To me it's seems to be a combination of sweat/humidity and repetitive motion. The foothills trail was wet the whole time, even in march it's like a rainforest. The marathon was the same way, it rained the first half of the day and stayed damp the second half. I still haven't found underwear that I really like. And my fat legs might be part of the problem.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

Starting the trail as a "fattie", some fifty pounds overweight, my 'not so little' fat thighs chafed like the rub rail on my boat against the docks in bad weather.....
    However, after several hundred miles, my inner thighs really came into their own, ( whatever that means!!!), and I found to my delight that not only were the ladies whistling at my thighs as I strolled by, somewhat proudly, but also that I no longer had a chafing problem!
    So march on, with or , in my case, without any underwear, body armor, boxers or whatever....all the chafing will be gone in no time at all...at least, that's my story and I'm, uh, sticking to it!

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
    Iodine is what I use and what I recomend....
    I use Iodine AND alcohol, THEN Gold Bond <manly grunt>

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I use Iodine AND alcohol, THEN Gold Bond <manly grunt="">
    Manly grunt.....</manly>

I'm going to double (or triple or quadruple) down on the Bodyglide suggestion. I've been a runner for years and anything, ANYTHING that chafes can be bodyglide-ed. Thighs, butt cheeks, hot spots in new shoes, sports bras, pant straps, pack straps. The stuff is awesome. I've even put it on when things START to get a little warm, and prevented chafing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_the_cat View Post
    I'm going to double (or triple or quadruple) down on the Bodyglide suggestion. I've been a runner for years and anything, ANYTHING that chafes can be bodyglide-ed. Thighs, butt cheeks, hot spots in new shoes, sports bras, pant straps, pack straps. The stuff is awesome. I've even put it on when things START to get a little warm, and prevented chafing.
    ok, this is one of those stories I thought I'd take to my grave, but my overwhelming desire to share in the name of a public service announcement I just can't deny any longer.

So, I'm on a somewhat long walk this summer, an it's hot out. Along with my usual things I carry in my bag, rain coat, water, spare battery for ipod, lunch, and other possibles, I decide to bring my little pony stick of "Body Glide" Before having lunch I duck into a Starbucks for a latte and a restroom break where I apply liberally the body glide to my already swamped monkey butt crack...ah, it soothes. Upon leaving and doing a look back for anything left behind from my temporary leather chair an air conditioned oasis outta the sun I notice I'm leaving a sweat ring on the chair, give it a quick one handed squeegee and depart feverishly hoping nobody notices my leaky leavings. Stepping out into the bright sunshine of the day...I shove off once again down the side walk and past the sea of patrons eating outside in the many cafes this area offered and the little wrought iron tables of two's and three's. Rocking out to my favorite tune I see this one fella seated and looking at me kinda funny as I approach, and when I finally pass his way a few steps and look back at him he's doing a full on knee slap and gag, looking and pointing right at me...along with 26 other on lookers.

And that's when it happened. My ipod died, shoot I spent to much time on white blaze while at the coffee house and forgot to re-change...and still there was a muffled sound. It had a definite frequency to it, first up, then down, then quick like, and repeat. Did my ear buds bite the bullet? was it the bus passing by? My tinnitus acting up? I take out my ear phones and stepping lively now to put more distance between the rude gawking noshers, I notice a strange tune emanating from behind me...It's me butt crack playin' a tune that sounds kinda like take me out to the ball game as I flit on down the road, abruptly I slow my pace, then speed up again to resolve the un-ended stanza...any how, so there you have it, twas a great day to be alive and the moral of the story.

...less is more...that stuff is slippery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++