WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Mack View Post
    I get it right where my hip belt goes over my hips. It digs in and breaks the skin. Any ideas on this?
    Just wait 20 to 25 years. Your body will add padding there whether you want it or not.

Of course, you'll have enough other age-related problems that you won't notice the lack of chafing there.

Images

Extra strength Desitin is fantastic for preventing and treating chafing. I believe it is mostly zinc oxide and can be somewhat difficult to clean up without a good bit of soap and water. I also agree with earlier post about non-cotton clothing. Get that moisture away from the skin.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Is it just me or did this article never seem very "Ultimate" ?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have to say that the Never Came Back: Chafe article was great.

I'm frustrated at the lack of information on preventing/treating chafing around female parts. Most anti-chafing creams can't be used as they lead to itching and infection. Can you imagine cleaning that area with alcohol or peppermint oil? Desitin and A&D (and any petroleum-based lotion) seals in moisture and bacteria. Povidine can cause impaired wound healing and lead to tissue necrosis (plus it stains your clothes).

I don't understand people's issue with chafing; I have large thighs and I live in an area where I can't hike everyday, so I run and keep that area perpetually tuffin'ed. No need for any products.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I don't understand people's issue with chafing; I have large thighs and I live in an area where I can't hike everyday, so I run and keep that area perpetually tuffin'ed. No need for any products.
    Yeah, but that requires consistency and willpower.

Journal Entries
    Images

ITri, the best answer is to consult with your doctor,

In the past I get to a spot to treat I am already past chafe and weeping white blood cells. Yeast & and other bacteria can make it hard if not difficult to treat and it can linger for weeks. My doctor in the past scripts KETOCONAZOLE 2% and it's fantastic at healing in three to 6 days.

Don't forget the compression shorts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Yeah, but that requires consistency and willpower.
    The other method requires crass consumerism

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The other method requires crass consumerism
    Sadly, that is slowly becoming my default method

I'm a bicyclist, runner, swimmer, and hiker...I only take 2 rest days/wk...unfortunately I still get chafed.

Ultrarunners have a lot to teach backpackers about dealing with chafing, blisters, and other friction problems. Read "fixing your feet" by John Vonhof for lots of good info. Besides compression shorts we use body glide and slippery powders like blistershield. Runners need to worry about their nipples, lest they become bloody through friction, so we use nipguards.
    We get the products from places like zombierunner or REI. (no assn with these vendors)

I walk a few miles every day at work and had problems with chafe until I started wearing suspenders instead of a belt and more importantly putting on some diaper cream every morning when it is hot out. The brand I use is heavy in the zinc and has some sort of "green" name like earth baby.

While I have tried gold bond and enjoy that the medicated version makes my nuts feel like the dude in the peppermint paddy commercials I never found that it actually helped.

I wish I knew the solution was so simple as I suffered on and off for years, especially doing tunnel work where it was most often hot.

Images

I used to have a pretty serious issue with chafing. Was heavier back then

My guess is that 12+ mile days is about 30,000 steps.

Pants / shorts / convertible pants..............rubbing 30,000 times each day, for 10-12 days = chafing. Simple math right?

Switched to a Kilt.............tons better

My 1st aid kit is pretty much duct tape and antibiotic ointment..........at times that has been used to "goop up" over the inflicted area.

Has worked for me.

When you get to the point where chafing is no longer an issue while running, then you jump in the ocean and go running and the wet shorts/skin simulates heavy sweating and further tuffin's the area.

Or you can just spend your money on some product

I have to say, I like the compression shorts. The shorts do rub on the area right under your testicles but it is better than your whole thighs being rubbed raw and walking like you have a giant D#l#$ up your but.

I read somewhere that stick deodorants, not gels, work well to prevent chafing! Use it like Body Glide. Have you heard of deodorant being used in this fashion?

The deodorant idea might make sense - the products appear similar. Time to compare the list of ingredients, I guess. I was surprised a few years ago when my doctor suggested that, to treat very sweaty feet, I put antiperspirant on the soles. There may be more additional uses for the stuff.

The local dollar stores here a product called Butt Balm - a cheap knockoff/imitation of A&D, I think. I find it effective, not only on my thighs, but to prevent chafing on my feet - and it's far cheaper than the name brand.

Gold Bond has a relatively new product line out aimed at high wear skin areas. Don't recall the specific product name; it's nearly as effective as Body Glide, and costs less.

my feet hurt too...

Haven't heard any mention of hydrocortisone cream. It works
    ...breathing is the reason, backpacking is the season....

I've discovered Hoo Ha Cream . It's an anti-chafing cream but has ingredients to prevent yeast and bacterial infection. It's marketed towards women but would be worth looking at for anyone with chafing-related infection issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++