WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Perfect time of year for the John Muir Trail. You should seriously look into it. I won't step foot on the AT till Friday, but the Sierra Nevada of California are the awesomest hiking mountains ever and the weather is perfect that time of year. Look into it. Everyone loves the JMT, best trail ever, 80 yrs and counting.

Images

Now that its getting warmer start acclimating yourself to the heat. I'm a postal carrier and I spend around 4 hours in the summer heat a day cooped up inside that rolling bread box (where it is always at least 10 degrees hotter). Heat never bothers me. I can hike 15 miles in 100 degree heat with 100 percent humid. No problem. You just got to use to it.

I think this should be relabeled then, Hiking in the humidity. Heat aint a thing, it's the stupid humidity I'm worried about. I like the extremely low humidity here in Az. back east just sounds scary.

Images

If you don't like humidity then Ga probably isn't the place for you!

I moved from AZ to Kauai and wanted to die. Everyone is telling me I have to do the AT once, that's why I'm heading that way. I really like hiking in the extreme dry. The first 700 miles of the PCT are my favorite for that reason. Got to give the AT a shot though. I bought plenty of baby powder, and I'm in it to win it now. Though 400 of my closest friends are strolling on or living near the PCT today.

Hiking in extreme heat forces me to rearrange my schedule to very early morning and late evening/some night travel. The time between noon and late evening/night is spent on the dark side of the mountain attempting to keep cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    The Whites offer some really tremendous views above the tree line though as many have mentioned, the hiking is pretty strenous. The weather can also be pretty fickle there so be prepared for just about anything weather wise if that the route you choose. Vermont is also great in August in my humble opinion. If you started at the MA/VT line that gives you about 140 the the NH border witht he terrain increasing in difficulty as you head north.
    Thank you, I like the looks of this route. gonesolong

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Agreed, it seems like to escape the heat I need to head North but if you go too far then the view turns a bit sparse, no longer a green tunnel, is that right? Vermont is sounding good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Agreed, but I'm looking for suggestions about how far north to get the cool weather and still get the great beauty of the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesolong View Post
    Agreed, it seems like to escape the heat I need to head North but if you go too far then the view turns a bit sparse, no longer a green tunnel, is that right? Vermont is sounding good.
    The "sparse" nature of the above-treeline high country of the Whites is the primary appeal. If you're stuck in a "green tunnel," you don't get views when the foliage is out. In NH and ME, you have both; walking in forest at low elevations, emerging above treeline at the higher elevations. And the views from the latter are spectacular.

Of all of the AT I've hiked, I'd rehike any of Maine, especially from Rte. 4 over Saddleback up to Monson. Anywhere in that area there is the scent of evergreens and many opportunities for swimming, with a good number of views. The hiking is pretty rugged, so I, personally, would plan on no more than 15 mpd.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    John Muir Trail.
    This

but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The "sparse" nature of the above-treeline high country of the Whites is the primary appeal. If you're stuck in a "green tunnel," you don't get views when the foliage is out. In NH and ME, you have both; walking in forest at low elevations, emerging above treeline at the higher elevations. And the views from the latter are spectacular.
    I get it now, thank you very much for the advice! Gonesolong

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    This

but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.
    Not sure what you are saying here?

Assuming the OP is willing to travel anywhere...

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ....but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.
    Not sure what you are saying here?
    NOC = Nantahala Outdoor Center in North Carolina. He's suggesting you hike from there to Davenport Gap, the northern end of the Smokies, a distance of 101 miles. He was thinking of AT stretches relatively close to Lousiana.

Since you said the distance from LA isn't an issue, I reiterate what I said above: save the southern AT for Spring, early summer, or Fall.

Default Consider the Wonderland Trail

If you had only three weeks from Aug 8th to Aug 28th what would be the best section to choose?(estim 15 miles per day) Will it be too hot to enjoy? gonesolong
    Since you will be flying to your hiking location anyway, consider the Wonderland Trail which circles Mt. Rainer. August and September are great times to hike it.
    Shutterbug

The White Mts. of NH along with the first 75 miles in Maine are beautiful and rewarding but very strenuous compared to most of the rest of the AT. There are several 2,000' and 3,000' ascents and descents, often very steep. And the footing is rough and rocky in many places. So a 15 mile up there takes a much larger toll on your body than 15 miles in the mid-Atlantic, and a 3,000' ascent/descent in NH/ME is much tougher than one in NC or TN.

This is why I recommended hiking there but adjusting your mileage expectations. I don't mean to disrespect your level of conditioning but aerobic fitness alone - while vital - doesn't guarantee against the stress from Northern New England hiking on your hips, quads, knees, etc.
    This is gonna work out perf for me, now I've got to work on the logistics, nearest flyins at start and finish, thanks for your help, gonesolong

Monson NOBO would be cooler and not too hard to 'trail up' on.

If you end your hike in Gorham NH or at the AMC lodge at Pinkham Notch, there is daily bus service to Logan airport or Manchaester airport. This cuts you just short of the most spectacular section of the whites but, you can easily do the section from Pinkham to Lakes of the CLouds ht and then cut back over to Teckermans Ravein and back to Pinkham via a blue blaze. Alternatively you can end at Crawford Notch and do a short hitch down to Bartlett and catch the bus there.

It is highly likely that you will need a shuttle to get to the trail in Maine as there is no bus service that crosses the AT. A real nice spot to start would be Caratunk at the Kennebec river as the next two days are relatively (for Maine flat) with several ponds to go swimming, before you hit the Bigelows which are a very steep uphill. You can resupply in Stratton, then Rangely, then Andover, then Gorham. Plan on 12 to 14 miles per day. If you are running late you can end in Gorham via the Mahoosuc trail or keep going to Pinkham. I havent checked the mileages and dont know your hiking ability so please check profiles and mileage. Shaws in Monson would be a start for looking for a shuttle.

Default august

Another vote for Maine if you are thinking AT. August is a great time to be there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++