WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tell me about Fontana to Newfound

Leaving Monday for a section. Gonna do Fontana to Mollies Ridge, Mollies to Spence, Spence to Silers Bald, Silers back to the truck at Newfound. So, 4 days. I've done my homework but still have a few questions.

First, is there really no privy at Mollies Ridge and Silers Bald, or am I looking at old data and they have since built some? Spence has one, right? Second, how's the trail, in general, on this section? Any "stealth" climbs that suck that you aren't ready for, i.e. Sweetwater Gap last year? How hard is this stretch, compared with everything south of there(which I've already done).

And yes, I have shelter reservations.

Thanks,

Bigben

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This is a tougher part of the park, IMO, and not as scenic as the northern part, but if you've been through the Stecoahs, its no harder than that.
    Not sure on the privy issue, I don't recall, but if there isn't one, there isn't one right ? Certainly isn't a problem

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If your linking all your sections N to S, then this is a nice section to get to. However if your not I would much rather do Newfound to Davenport. I didnt stay or poo at either of the shelters mentioned so IDK. There does seem to be a lack of privies in the Smokies tho so I wouldnt doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsbyron View Post
    If your linking all your sections N to S, then this is a nice section to get to. However if your not I would much rather do Newfound to Davenport.
    That's what I'm doing. I'll be doing Newfound to Davenport hopefully in October.

I would it in the opposite direction.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

it will be a great workout, overall a longgggg uphill climb coming out of Fontana heading north, with some great views at Rocky Top and along the ridgeline as you get closer to Clingmans Dome. My favorite shelters in that section were Derricks Knob and Double Springs Gap. I also liked Spence Field shelter. I don't recall many privies along that section at shelters. Enjoy!

Images

I just did this section Springs & Spence Field for sure. As for the others we just hiked by so do not know. We did it from Newfoundland to Fontana, the hardest part going this way is Derrick Knob to Spence Field some real climbs. We then went Spence Field to Fontana Marina to finish 18 miles.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

Images

Man my writing is bad tonight. Should have read Priveys at Double Springs & Spence Field shelters.

Mike

Images

It's moderately tough, you got a long climb coming from Fontana to Mollies Ridge. Wildflowers will be in full bloom and you'll start seeing them in all their glory around Doe Knob. You'd be much happier to do this section from Newfound Gap to Fontana unless you don't mind the big climb from the dam but I guess you're locked in now that you have reservations. The part from Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap is what drove me crazy about this section of trail, I guess it's because you're next to the road. Also, lots of people get confused and go the wrong way at Clingman's, so make sure you take you're time and make sure you are going the right way.

I don't think there are any privies in this section and the toilet areas around the shelters are poop mine fields. Poop elsewhere. And don't be that guy who carries the orange trowel, people will make fun of you behind your back.

++ New Posts ++