WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO section June 4th

This is my first trip and would prefer not to go alone. I'm starting in Bear mountain, NY and working down to Damascus, VA. Since this is my first time i might be going a bit slow, and wanted to do a bit of sight seeing. but i figured i would try to see if someone is up for it anyway. im 26/m, going on sort of a pilgrimage so to speak. need to clear my head, kick some bad habits, and hopefully emerge from this adventure a new me. i guess i'll end this with a dancing banana

Bump... No one? nothing? lol i cant be that lame.

I might be interested- is there any reason in particular why you're choosing to go southbound? Northbound will have more people at this time, if I'm not mistaken. I was pulling an average of 9 miles per day in the Smokies, so I'm _really_ slow, but I'm usually in better shape, so it wouldn't take long for me to get faster. I'm looking to go on some sort of backpacking trip through the appalachians this summer. How long were you planning on staying?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nobody goes SOBO.

That's the issue

But glad you are

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

im going SOBO cause i live in NY, figured i would start here and go south. im not really sure how long ill be out there though.

The advantage to going SOBO is you will meet ALL the northbound thru-hikers coming the other way. If you are Nobo and "everyone else is Nobo", you only hike with a small group. Either direction, when you stop at a shelter or hostel, you will meet both sobos and nobos.

Hey, good luck finding a hiking buddy. Once you get down as far as Daleville VA, I can do some day hikes with you while you are going thru.....we are already getting some NOBO "hiker waves" thru this area.

Skid, i figured as much, the trouble is finding someone to do the sobo with me, i wouldnt want to start talking to a soccer ball or anything. it'll be good to see all the nobos tho, im from NYC all were have around here are hobos.(bad joke?) Hikermom,thanks, the day hikes sound like fun,it would be nice to have someon from the area show me the local scenic.

BUMP.. =P leavin soon, still no one. anywho, hope to see some of u on the trail.

Images

It's not easy to hook up with a hiking partner on White Blaze. Most people come here intending to hike alone, or already have a partner in mind. Most people who try to hook up with someone on white blaze, usually don't. Hiking alone is much better anyway. Have a BLAST!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries

Hey j, I too am doing the "pilgrimage" thing solo on the trail. Normally I would be all over this opportunity but I am way south - gonna do the smokey mountain park. I only have about 7-10 days but am looking forward to the "clearing my head" stuff. I hope you (and I) meet some great folks!!!

Well that was a disaster. i packed way too much and lost my map. so im home now and im gonna start from scratch. If anyone was at bear mountain this past weekened and was wondering why on gods good earth is this man trying to hike up to the tower with all of that on his back. i looked like a pack mule lol. well at least i got a tan.

Hey, at least you got out there!

++ New Posts ++