WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

For my alcohol rig I use the a cut off plastic 1 lb coffee "can" and for my gas rig I use a cut off 3 lb peanut butter jar. Both nest in the cooking pot.

Images

I don't like morning people.
    ...or mornings
    ...or people
    until after I've had my coffee.

I don't care what kind of cup that first cup is in.
    As my mood improves, I get pickier about the cup.

Images

Backpacking
    I liter MSR TI pot that I cook with. On shorter (luxury trips), I have a TI mug by MSR that nests and I might carry that too.

At home / work
    When I'm not backpacking, I'd like to tell you that I use a re-fillable mug all the time (like the Patagonia mug my Mom gave me last year as a holiday gift). The problem is
    that I leave these nice and rather expensive mugs at people's houses, offices, on job-sites and loose them and so forth and have to get new ones. My latest tact is to see how long I can use
    and re-use a styrofoam cup - - the one in my sink right now (awaiting tomorrow morning's coffee) is about 8 days old - from Dunkin Donughts - I carefully wash it and re-use
    it. For me, it's less wasteful to try to get two weeks out of a styrofoam cup than it is to loose nice steel and plastic mugs (that are probably Chinese made) - - just a thought

Journal Entries
    Images

Snowpeak titanium cup with the orange dealie on the front to protect the lips. Works great and is fun. One could also put it on the stove(just remove the orange dealie then replace it when ready to drink).
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm such a clueless weekender that I use the cup from my GSI kit. The Real Hikers all laugh at me.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I originally was going to carry my MSR ti cup at 2ozs. But then I saw the Kupilka cup and had the totally irrational urge to have one. I put it on my Amazon wish list, and the day before I left for the trail, I got one in the mail. A birthday present from my son. I did what any one else would do. I ran into the kitchen and put it on my scale! ****! It's 3 ozs! What to do? Willingly increase pack weight by an oz? Just because it looks so good, and feels good in the hand? The ti cup can be put on the stove, but not this wood/resin thing. It does retain heat better ... And the round bottom makes mixing better ... And it was a gift from my son ...

L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    I originally was going to carry my MSR ti cup at 2ozs. But then I saw the Kupilka cup and had the totally irrational urge to have one. I put it on my Amazon wish list, and the day before I left for the trail, I got one in the mail. A birthday present from my son. I did what any one else would do. I ran into the kitchen and put it on my scale! ****! It's 3 ozs! What to do? Willingly increase pack weight by an oz? Just because it looks so good, and feels good in the hand? The ti cup can be put on the stove, but not this wood/resin thing. It does retain heat better ... And the round bottom makes mixing better ... And it was a gift from my son ...

oh, just tote the thing - you'll drop an ounce somewhere else - it looks pretty cool

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    oh, just tote the thing - you'll drop an ounce somewhere else - it looks pretty cool
    I did. Love it.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

You could "accidentally" break the handles off. That might get it closer to 2 oz. I have considered these before. 3 oz isn't bad, but capacity might be kind of small. (7 oz?)

Images

I also carry a snow peak titanium cup with the orange lip protector thing on the front.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You could "accidentally" break the handles off. That might get it closer to 2 oz.
    Nah, it's just about perfect as it is.

I have considered these before. 3 oz isn't bad, but capacity might be kind of small. (7 oz?)
    Just measured it to be sure. It's 8 ozs when it's too full to avoid spilling hot coffee all over yer lap. 7 ozs is probably usable. Perfect for those pre-measured tubes of instant coffee. Doesn't burn the lips, holds heat pretty well, feels good in cupped hands on a cold morning.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

get that fungus for fire starting it take a spark after its dry

This came out of a Swedish army mess kit (like OD green tupperware)

Weighs about 30 grams.

I heat water in a military canteen cup, drink coffee and green tea out of the Swede folding cup and eat out of a ziplock bag. Works for me.

Images

I'm a bit of a Neanderthal here.
    My cup is stainless steel! It is about 450ml and 105gm (3.7oz).
    Purchased for $1 from a Salvation Army store.
    Has a lid (also SS). 43gm (1.5oz)
    I have made a cozy.
    Fits my Evernew Ti burner and stove set inside.
    Total weght of the whole bundle (including half dish cloth) - 293 gm. Just over 10 oz.
    I don't care that it may be considered heavy it suits me.
    Between the cozy and the lid it keeps hot for a long time.
    I can put it straight onto any flame including open fire (tricky to get off that though).
    I drink soups, coffees and anything else I like out of it.
    cookset.JPGcupncozy.JPG

An insulated mug has had me on the fence for a while now but not wanting to give up pack space and ounces. I often make breakfast from the hammock and want to sip my coffee while I'm vegging a cold morning away with a book. Or sometimes I just want to make my cuppa jo and sip on it as I'm packing up and then have it hot in hand for a while to enjoy as I'm walking out of camp.

Either way, a couple that I like in the low 3oz to mid 4oz are these:

Sea to Summit http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-su...-insulated-mug
    and the GSI http://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdo...-insulated-mug

Certainly there are other good compromizes and DIY options, reflectix cozies, etc. I have learned that a lid is the low hanging fruit of heat retention and a sip lid seems to me like a worthwhile luxury for the benefit. I guess an insulated cup makes more sense for me in cool/cold outings where I spend more time in camp and I'm more likely to make hot beverages in the evening as well.

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bannerstone View Post
    An insulated mug ...

Sea to Summit http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-su...-insulated-mug
    Yep, I like to sip my coffee slowly, but still like it hot, so a requirement for me is for it to be insulated, so I use this Sea to Summit. 3.4 ounces w/o the lid. I don't use the lid. I also require the 16 oz volume this one has (meaning a ~14 oz cup O joe). Sure would like to find something lighter, but it has to be insulated and ~16 ounce capacity.

I still carrry the plastic cup with measuring marks on it that I bought at a yard sale in 1968. It is part of a girl scout mess, I still use the aluminum plate and the spoon.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I use the open country plastic measuring cup. It costs $1.50 at REI and weighs in at a whopping 1oz. To augment it's coffee holding properties, I built a <1 oz cozy for it out of reflectix. Did I mention it's a measuring cup? Makes measuring water for different recipes or pouches easy and has a hole so we just clip it to a beaner on the outside of our pack. Love 'em.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

i have two single-wall Evernew Ti 400ml mugs (without the sipper lids), but i just picked up two GSI Infinity mugs. the weight difference is too insignificant to matter and i like the insulated wrap on the GSI mugs. if i could sew i would have made insulated wraps for my Evernew mugs but unfortunately i cannot...

[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...RfRj_MEO3YTELQ[/img]

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

As I look at this post and see that it's garnered over six (6) pages of replies, I cannot help but to be amazed that it's about...... wait for it....... a cup.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++