WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bartram Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

The lot at Winding Stairs seemed even more secure, with a bit less visibility from US 19. Besides, you'll probably crank through the trail in about 5 days. You'll be fine.
    This is currently posted on the NC Bartram website:

The Winding Stairs Parking Area and the footbridges that the BT path uses are temporarily closed due to a construction project.

I'm trying to figure out where the closest parking to the Cheoah Bald and if the lot at Winding Stairs is closed what does that leave for options?

Or would it be easier to start at Cheoah Bald and hike SOBO? (assuming there is good parking at the southern end.)

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    (assuming there is good parking at the southern end.)
    We did part for 10 days at the southern end (Russell Bridge, right at the GA/SC border, on Hwy 28) with no problem.

Not sure about other parking options at the northern end. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    We did part for 10 days at the southern end (Russell Bridge, right at the GA/SC border, on Hwy 28) with no problem.

Not sure about other parking options at the northern end. Sorry.
    How far is that from the actual start of the trail? Is it close enough to the southern terminus to walk to when you complete the trail?

Having hiked both directions, would you have a preference between nobo or sobo if you hiked it again?

How far is that from the actual start of the trail? Is it close enough to the southern terminus to walk to when you complete the trail?

Having hiked both directions, would you have a preference between nobo or sobo if you hiked it again?
    The Russell Bridge parking lot is literally across the street from the southern trail head. I guess that would make it about 10 yards.

Having done the trail both NOBO and SOBO, we have no preference btw the two directions. We actually discussed that topic on our last day, as we knew we would get that question eventually. I think there are so many variables each day (temps, rain/dry, humidity, mental mood, physical ailments, etc) that those things play more of role than direction. I'd go with whatever direction is easier to work via a shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    The Russell Bridge parking lot is literally across the street from the southern trail head. I guess that would make it about 10 yards.

Having done the trail both NOBO and SOBO, we have no preference btw the two directions. We actually discussed that topic on our last day, as we knew we would get that question eventually. I think there are so many variables each day (temps, rain/dry, humidity, mental mood, physical ailments, etc) that those things play more of role than direction. I'd go with whatever direction is easier to work via a shuttle.

Hmm... ok.

Hiking it sobo would mean 60ish miles before resupply, right?

Hmm... ok.

Hiking it sobo would mean 60ish miles before resupply, right?
    Oh yeah, forgot the food carry issue in deciding the preference on which direction to hike.

NOBO - 67 miles from Russel Bridge trail head (GA) north to Westgate Plaza (Ingles) in Franklin

SOBO - 5 miles to top of Cheoah Bald northbound + 43 miles from top of Cheoah Bald south to Westgate Plaza (Ingles) in Franklin = 48 miles

Oh... I had it backwards.. I was thinking it was around 45 miles from the southern terminus to Franklin and 70 miles from Franklin to Cheoah Bald....

The roller-coaster section was north of Franklin, right?

The roller-coaster section was north of Franklin, right?
    Yes, the roller-coaster is north of Franklin and eventually ends at Wayah Bald, 8-miles later. We hit it on very hot days, which added to the challenge.

10-K:

In regards to your question about where to park if Winding Stairs parking lot is still closed.

I see BearPaw had these ideas too: "once you reach Cheoah Bald, either 5 miles backtracking down the BT, 8 miles south on the AT to NOC, or 5 miles north on the AT to Stecoah Gap."

So I guess parking at the NOC or Stecoah Gap could be options to consider.

BearPaw also hiked during the time period in which Winding Stairs parking lot was closed and said "I parked about .2 miles down the road from Winding Stairs at a picnic area where Ledbetter Creek runs through an underpass below the railroad tracks. The lot was closed because a construction company was doing lead paint removal from the bridge over the Nantahala there. I was a bit concerned about parking at the picnic area, but it was fine there. The lot at Winding Stairs seemed even more secure, with a bit less visibility from US 19."

Not sure if you're looking for more ideas than these??

Images

I'm trying to figure out where the closest parking to the Cheoah Bald and if the lot at Winding Stairs is closed what does that leave for options?
    I parked at the picnic area .2 miles west of Winding Stairs Trailhead for 3 days with no problem. There is space for 4-6 vehicles there. It is on the north side of 19/74. It is right next to the railroad tracks and the massive stone underpass that Ledbetter Creek flows through.

It's a good bet if the Winding Stairs Bridge is still under construction.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I just pulled out my BT map and I think I"m going to park at NOC....

The only time I've been to NOC is when we hiked the AT through there - you can park for a week or so there, right?

My start date is June 25 assuming I can get a shuttle from NOC to Russel Bridge...

Alrighty... Got a shuttle lined up and am going to park at NOC.

Start date June 25th!

Alrighty... Got a shuttle lined up and am going to park at NOC.

Start date June 25th!

Have a great hike! Looking forward to hearing how your trip went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++