WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NoBo Thru-Hiker Leaving May 8th!!

Anyone else section hiking or starting from Springer on this date? I could use a buddy!

I started my thru in '95 on May 9th.
    If that's any judge, you won't have many starting at that time but you will find other thru-hikers on the trail who are going slow.
    Many start with dreams of going all the way in one year, but they find that it's more fun to slow down, sleep late, stay with a group they like, spend time in towns, and quickly forget about the goal of Maine.
    They might entice you to join them.
    Up to you of course. But, if you want to make it to Maine this year, you'll have to say many goodbyes and possibly hike alone for a while.
    Once I got to PA, I fell in with a group I really liked and hung with them for a while.
    Have fun.
    Do it your way.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

i started may 12th about 17 years ago when my son was about 3. the trail is wide and crushed and free of bramble and its hot and buggy and lonely . but also its a chance to see georgia more in bloom than starting feb 18th , my favorite day to try to trhu. its like southbounding backwards. very quiet thaughtfull miles of flowering trail.
    matthewski

I like the "separation" if you will. And of course I would like to see SOMEONE, eventually haha.
    This is one of those "Life Journeys" for me, other people optional.

Glad to hear I'm not insane/alone.

I will not be starting May 9, but I will be starting sometime between May 9 and May 16 most likely (depending on ticket prices and when some of my gear arrives in the mail). So I may be seeing you around?

How are you getting to the trail head?

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

I'm starting May 13th. Yes Friday the 13th. I'm landing in Atlanta around 6:45 AM. I still have no plans how to get to the trail, but I'm sure it will work out. Theres some hostel which allegedly gives people rides to the USFS road near Springer. I don't want to kill a day at a hostel though to start out. I'm landing early, because I intend to at least sleep on the trail the 13th. I'm hoping that I can be on Springer that night. Though if it costs a hostels stay to get a taxi to Springer, then maybe I'll just suck it up pay, but take the ride a day early and not spend the night. Still have some planning to do. Let me know if you discover the easiest way to the trail.

Thanks,
    Guino.

E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

I have a friend taking me to the Approach trail, then ditching haha.
    I'm expecting to be doing 20 (give or take a few) miles a day, sooooo...I may see ya

++ New Posts ++