WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Ultralight, minimal shoe inserts

Anyone know of any? I'm sportin' the Inov-8 X-Talon 212s and have heard that getting insoles with more cushioning can greatly reduce stress on the joints.

Journal Entries
    Images

50 50 call your friends? Here on Who wants to be a millionaire?

Even today they are still talking about superfeet. the other half is thick hunter socks (new)

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Superfeet...2-001b2166c2c0
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travisap View Post
    Anyone know of any? I'm sportin' the Inov-8 X-Talon 212s and have heard that getting insoles with more cushioning can greatly reduce stress on the joints.
    I used to wear Inov-8 370's and 390's when I hiked and the first thing I did was swap out the stock insoles with Superfeet.

Just recently I was reminded of the tremendous value of good insoles - I was hiking in a pair of trail runners and around the 300 mile mark my shins started hurting and pretty soon it felt like I was walking barefoot on hot concrete.

Popped in a pair of Superfeet and was good to go again.

I got a laugh out of that WOO.

Just Hitting My Stride!

I'm using Dr. Scholl's Gel Sport insoles in Asics GT-2150 Trail Runners. They're better than the stock insoles. I've never used Superfeet but I do know they're three times the cost of the Dr. Scholl's (at least where I buy mine). Being extremely frugal, I would need two to three times the comfort to justify the added expense. I'll be interested in comments from others.

Shoe inserts is one area I don't think of going 'ultralight'. At least for long distance hikers, I would suggest that the upfront expense of custom orthodics might be worth while. I just had mine resurfaced for a second time now; I probably could have put another few thousand miles on them, but when you're walking on them all day every day, it's nice to start a long trip with them 'new', and on a per-mile basis these have turned out to be very cheap, plus I wear them constantly in 'normal' life as well.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

my insoles i make from fruit leather. grape.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Espero View Post
    I'm using Dr. Scholl's Gel Sport insoles in Asics GT-2150 Trail Runners. They're better than the stock insoles. I've never used Superfeet but I do know they're three times the cost of the Dr. Scholl's (at least where I buy mine). Being extremely frugal, I would need two to three times the comfort to justify the added expense. I'll be interested in comments from others.
    My feet are pretty rough on shoes, socks, inserts, etc.

I tried the Dr. Scholls inserts and after a month they were garbage. For work I replaced them with some orthotics from my podiatrist that were retail inserts and they did pretty good. The pair I am using is about six months old and holding. But they are not full length inserts.

For hiking, I wear Superfeet and they not only feel way better than the Dr. Scholls did, they are way tougher. I have been using them since Feb with very little wear showing and they feel awesome. I am usually pretty tight with a dollar, but due to the issues I have faced keeping my feet healthy when the miles add up this is one area where I am willing to spend a bit. The Superfeet are worth it to me.

++ New Posts ++