Question Bra for the big busted

I've seen several threads about bras for small busted girls, but not as many suggestions for us "fuller figured" girls .

I'm a 38DD and unfortunately I sweat a lot so I'm concerned about moisture and chafing. Sports bras hurt my back/shoulders with no pack after about 20 minutes of wearing them, so I'm thinking a more "normal" style bra would be better.

Hoping to thru-hike next year. Any suggestions? I hope so, I'm kind of at a loss.

I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as nothing for those of us with... generous figures. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68041

A 38DD is positively standard in comparison to 38F. Hell, you can buy bras in physical stores still!

This is my personal recomendation, both for day to day and low "bounce" sports like hiking, kayaking, sailing, biking, ect.

http://www.lanebryant.com/smooth-bal...6851/index.pro

See the other thread for a few comments on it's performance, and a lot of other suggestions from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as nothing for those of us with... generous figures. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68041

A 38DD is positively standard in comparison to 38F. Hell, you can buy bras in physical stores still!

This is my personal recomendation, both for day to day and low "bounce" sports like hiking, kayaking, sailing, biking, ect.

http://www.lanebryant.com/smooth-bal...6851/index.pro

See the other thread for a few comments on it's performance, and a lot of other suggestions from others.
    Really?? That Lane Bryant bra you recommended is my everyday bra! I'm actually wearing it now! You really think that would be ok for a thru-hike? I dunno, I guess I just thought that everything had to be special "hiking" clothes...

I've never thru hiked, but I've worn this bra hiking under a heavy pack, and it did just fine.

Fit and comfort are FAR more important in bras than any other piece of clothing (except maybe shoes). I find that hiking doesn't have a lot of "bounce" to it, so a "sports bra" is not really necessary.

Bras restrict movement of the breast by two methods, encapsulation and constriction. The firm cups of the lane bryant bras use encapsulation. Most sports bras use constriction (smoosh 'em down) because they're focused on sports like running. The problem I find with constriction is it's very uncomfortable over long periods (more than an hour even) and gets worse with sweat. The elastic digs in to my skin, and the stickiness is unbearable.

The lane bryant bra is not 100% perfect, but like I said, I find it works well for hiking because it has good support and dries quickly.

Don't worry about having the "right" equipment. Everyone will have their own preferences, and finding something that works for you is what's most important. HYOH.

Yes! I totally agree about sports bras. Painful and uniboob! Well this is great! I'm gonna just wear my regular bra on a hike then and see how it goes. Thanks so much!

Images

I am not large busted any more as I had a breast reduction (36DDD to 36C) several years ago, and I have not thru hiked. I have however hiked two week-long sections on the AT.

The first section was Springer to Deep Gap NC last July when the temps were in the 90s and the humidity was extreme. I thought I needed to take my super duper sports bra that I run in. Normally it is very comfortable, but in this situation it stayed wet the entire time. I even tried going braless to try to let it dry one day...didn't work. I got really chaffed and raw, mostly from the tightness of it and the fact that it stayed wet. Nothing worse than putting on a cold wet bra first thing in the morning.

When I did the other section last October from Deep Gap to Fontana, I took the lightest synthetic bra with underwire that I had (Bali). It did great...no chafing dried out every night and was fresh every morning when I put it back on. Of course the weather was much drier then so that may have played a part.

Doing a month section from Fontana to Damascus in June. I plan on taking my lighter bra again. Will see if higher humidity makes it worse....

Whatever happened to the good 'ole "two buckets and a chain" method?
    ad astra per aspera

++ New Posts ++