WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most popular Month to depart for thru Hike

Seems like March has replaced April for most thru hikers to head Northbound after looking at Mt. Squids 2011 class report. Anyone have thoughts or reasons as to the earlier exodus?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Y'sGuy View Post
    Seems like March has replaced April for most thru hikers to head Northbound after looking at Mt. Squids 2011 class report. Anyone have thoughts or reasons as to the earlier exodus?
    I think for some of the younger hiker's being able to finish in time in order to return to school may be one reason. Other's reasons may be anxiousness to begin or the thought to get a head start due to reduced ability to make big miles either for being out of shape, or for the senior hikers who feel the need to include extra time.

There was also the wish to avoid the erstwhile April 1 crowds. When the trail became more popular in the late '80's, people began starting earlier and earlier to avoid the hordes. Even when the numbers of thruhikers began to drop, people retained the perception that April was too crowded. Now March 1 and 15 are much more popular than April dates. If I were to thruhike again, I'd start April 10. The weather is much better and the bulk of the hikers have already started except for students who can't start until May. A nice window of opportunity.

Are there some actual stats available? I thought March was always more departures.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

In the study I did of northbound thru-hikers in my "Hiking Rates" article here at WB I've looked at the classes of 2001 through 2010 so far (240 thru-hikes in total). Here's how their departure dates broke down by month of departure:

Jan. - Feb.: 13%
    March: 60%
    April: 24%
    May or later: 3%

These numbers are a pretty good match for Mountain Squid's numbers. I can't comment on how that has changed since earlier eras because I don't have access to a large number of hiking journals from earlier times.

I think that March start dates have become somewhat self-perpetuating because so many hikers value the social aspect of the thru-hike experience. Some worry that if they start outside of the six week window from, say, Feb. 25 through April 7, that there won't be enough other thru-hikers around that are good hiking-partner matches in terms of hiking speed and temperament. With 30 people a day leaving Springer for much of March it's easier to find a pod to hike in.

I'm with Spirit Walker. If I ever did a NOBO thru-hike I would start in late April. The social aspect of hiking is not as important to me and the avoiding-bad-weather aspect is more important.
    Last edited by map man; 04-28-2011 at 00:57.

Even in '95 I left April 6 to avoid some crowds.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

This side of the dirt
    Images

I started in March 4 because it was my birthday.

I had someone tell me a lot start in March so they can "March Fourth" toward Katahdin
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

My opinion is that the perfect start date would be July 1st from Baxter State Park.

I don't think I'd ever consider a NOBO thru.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Are there some actual stats available? I thought March was always more departures.

April used to be the #1 month (back in the 70s, 80s and 90s).
    I think there's the illusion that starting a month earlier means you'll finish a month earlier.
    That has proven, with few exceptions, not to be the case.
    Folks leaving in March are far more likely to spend zero days in shelters, towns, or tents waiting for fresh snow to melt (or just trying to thaw out).
    With the current wicked weather, I bet lots of folks are glad that they left early, though.
    I hope all the hikers are ok.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Global Warming??? March is the new April???
    Nah...

Me personally, I have to be back at school in the Fall so I want to give myself enough time to make a good effort at a thru hike while still being able to make it to school and find a job/apartment/whatever.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_Nomad View Post
    Me personally, I have to be back at school in the Fall so I want to give myself enough time to make a good effort at a thru hike while still being able to make it to school and find a job/apartment/whatever.
    This.

I have until the end of August so I'm giving myself a 6 month window by starting in the first couple days of March.

I mean, I could stay out a little longer, but then I'd miss freshers week and not even the AT is gonna keep me from a week's excuse of drinking.

Personally I think it is because with all of the available resources offered today, shuttles, hostles, stores, resturants, motels, etc., there is more time spent in town now than before. This probably also accounts for the higher expense to thru....inflation hasn't raised a hikers cost that much more over the years

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Personally I think it is because with all of the available resources offered today, shuttles, hostles, stores, resturants, motels, etc., there is more time spent in town now than before. This probably also accounts for the higher expense to thru....inflation hasn't raised a hikers cost that much more over the years

geek
    I agree with geek.

Wonder how gas prices are going to affect shuttle rates? Also, hikers getting those free shuttles that hostel operators offer, need to consider raising their "donation". You can easily spend $100 filling the tank of a pickup truck.

More hikers might leave in March but remember, this is largely because you have the entire month of March, while April starters traditionally leave in the first two weeks...not all of them, but certainly most.

I see absolutely no reason to leave in March, unless you anticipate a very slow start and a solid 6 month hike, leaving in April, even late April is fine. You are far, far more likely to run into snow and extended snow than if you left if mid April. Starting in early March also means more town time, as you will inevitably have to wait out storms in motels and hostels. This means more town meals and more money, much more money.

As far as crowds go, I think starting anywhere between 1 March and 15 April means starting with alot of other hikers. I wouldn't start in Feb, too short of daylight and too cold for me, to avoid crowds I would suggest leaving late April, early May, go Sobo, or use a alternative start and flip. There is plenty of solitude along the AT if you use your brain.

If I were to go again I would go Nobo and wouldn't leave before the 25th of April

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    More hikers might leave in March but remember, this is largely because you have the entire month of March, while April starters traditionally leave in the first two weeks...not all of them, but certainly most.

I see absolutely no reason to leave in March, unless you anticipate a very slow start and a solid 6 month hike, leaving in April, even late April is fine. You are far, far more likely to run into snow and extended snow than if you left if mid April. Starting in early March also means more town time, as you will inevitably have to wait out storms in motels and hostels. This means more town meals and more money, much more money.

As far as crowds go, I think starting anywhere between 1 March and 15 April means starting with alot of other hikers. I wouldn't start in Feb, too short of daylight and too cold for me, to avoid crowds I would suggest leaving late April, early May, go Sobo, or use a alternative start and flip. There is plenty of solitude along the AT if you use your brain.

If I were to go again I would go Nobo and wouldn't leave before the 25th of April
    You know, call me crazy, but I actually want to start early enough that I can make it through some snow storms and bad weather. Out here everything is so ridiculously tame that starting in late April would almost make it a letdown.

I bet I regret this decision next march.

Default Leave Date

I am hoping (fingers crossed) to be out on the trail the first week of March. I am from North Dakota so snow and wind mean nothing to me really. I am no stranger to -60 and hurricane force winds. I need all the extra time I can get though as I am a complete noob when it comes to mountains and what not. In ND we have the turtle mountains which are really just the biggest hills in the state and nowhere near real mountains. Mostly though my husband and I can not wait to get started and we are anticipating a long slow hike up the trail. See you all there.

I started 5/1 and upon refection think that 4/15 would be the "best" date to start; at least for me.

I think a lot of people start too early because they don't how long a thru will take them and they want to make sure they finish. So they end up starting hiking in less than optimal conditions and finish hiking in late summer and missing fall in new england.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNoob View Post
    I am hoping (fingers crossed) to be out on the trail the first week of March. I am from North Dakota so snow and wind mean nothing to me really. I am no stranger to -60 and hurricane force winds. I need all the extra time I can get though as I am a complete noob when it comes to mountains and what not. In ND we have the turtle mountains which are really just the biggest hills in the state and nowhere near real mountains. Mostly though my husband and I can not wait to get started and we are anticipating a long slow hike up the trail. See you all there.
    Hi,
    Just go for it. You don't have to go fast, just have fun and enjoy the trip.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo-259 View Post
    You know, call me crazy, but I actually want to start early enough that I can make it through some snow storms and bad weather. Out here everything is so ridiculously tame that starting in late April would almost make it a letdown.

I bet I regret this decision next march.
    Cold and snow are cool, don't get me wrong. I used to be a snowshoeing junkie back in the lat 90's, loved it...bivying on the side of a mountain in 6 below, waking up covered in powder, nothing like it! Especially when you know a hot shower is only 36 hours away.

But...long distance hiking is demanding enough as it is, combining that with extended periods of cold weather, the potential for deep snow, and the shorter daylight hours adds another element that does not need to be there, unless you want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++