WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: GPS's

Default GPS's

Getting lost is something I don't want to deal with. I see on the market handheld GPS's loaded with the AT map. I don't see very many references to GPS's here. My question: Would this work to positively keep one from getting lost and does anyone have any experience to share?

Images

You can still get lost with a GPS, so , no, it won't *positively* keep you from getting lost.

I've seen plenty of hikers carrying a small GPS, and they kinda look like fun, but I haven't found a strong need for one just yet. If you want to keep from getting lost, pay attention on the trail. You'll quickly get an idea of what the trail should look like, and then your senses will tingle when it looks wrong. Seriously.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Not really needed on the AT as it is well marked.
    However, they can be very useful and the trail is a good place to learn how they work and their capabilities.
    Go for it, just try to get a lightweight one and look into lithium batteries (which are lighter weight and last longer, but more expensive)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Default I carried one for awhile

It's fun to play Prince Henry the Navagator but it is just another uneeded contraption on the trail. While it's easy to get off trail in places for a few minutes when you lose the blazes it is always easly detected and corrected. I loaded in all the data for the shelters and would check to see how far I had to go but as you know the information as to how far to the shelter is "as the crow flys" or a streight line and therefore, as it applys to the AT, always wrong. So when you turn on the GPS and it tells you it's 2 miles to the shelter it could be 4 trail miles away with all the ups, downs and arounds. It is also a time waster and extra weight.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I like to have a track to look back at later. Not sure why, I just do. I also like to plot nice rest stops, potential campsites, water sources, etc. I usually have my 60CSx with me but this time I'll probably take the much lighter Geko 201.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I used my phone's GPS feature when I wandered off trail in MD. It showed where I was relative to the forest boundary and roads. And using this info and my map I was able to road walk back to the trail. How ever I don't think a stand alone GPS is something I'd take as most I think wouldn't have long enough battery life to stay on for a multiday hike.

Typical responses from the anti-technology crowd. You have to realize that some of us are numbers geeks and we like data.

Although it is hard to get lost on the AT it is possible and some sections are easier to get off the trail than others.

I can guarantee you cannot get lost with a GPS if you have one with the AT map on it and a track that someone else has already done loaded. GPS tracks are saved as .gpx files and can easily be found on backpacker.com as well as a few other places. I just did 180 miles on the PCT and there were a couple of times I was in doubt and I booted up the GPS and immediately knew which way to go. (Don't let anyone tell you all you need is a compass either).

My GPS also has lots of Points of Interest (POIs) so anytime I get to a road crossing or trail town I'll know where everything is - not just those places that whoever writes the guidebooks wants you to go to.

Feel free to PM me if you need more specific help.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I like to have a track to look back at later. Not sure why, I just do. I also like to plot nice rest stops, potential campsites, water sources, etc. I usually have my 60CSx with me but this time I'll probably take the much lighter Geko 201.
    3.1oz w/ batteries. Not bad at all. I always thought about getting one but don't think I would have much use for it
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Actually, just read that the Geko 201 is discontinued, just an FYI.

Images

If the AT is marked on the digital map in your GPS it would be very difficult to lose the trail. You'll have to figure out if it's worth the weight or you'd rather just carry maps or just follow the treadway and blazes. Or possibly all four.

I guess it has an entertainment factor, lets you plot hot-spots, etc.

Thanks to all for the help, gonesolong

I had a Geko 201 and let my grand daughter play with it and dk where it is now. The fact that is does not have a mapping feature would not be something I would think makes it very useful. And the battery life is awful. I have the Garmin 60Csx now and it is great, but I don't think I would use it on a thru hike, too much weight.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Actually, just read that the Geko 201 is discontinued, just an FYI.
    I know but I picked mine up off eBay for $20-$30.

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    I had a Geko 201 and let my grand daughter play with it and dk where it is now. The fact that is does not have a mapping feature would not be something I would think makes it very useful. And the battery life is awful. I have the Garmin 60Csx now and it is great, but I don't think I would use it on a thru hike, too much weight.
    I guess it's usefulness is dependent upon your goals. Historically I've used my 60Csx primarily for marking waypoints and saving my track. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually used it for navigation. However, it was very handy looking at the AT centerline when I missed a turn and got off the trail.

Since I'm really only looking to do the waypoints and track the mapping capability isn't something I think I'll miss. I'll try it for the next hike and see how it works. It's definitely a significant weight difference.

I am concerned about the battery life. I'll only be out about 5 days so hopefully it won't be too bad. About how long did you find yours lasted? I've noticed mine would die but I thought it was getting turned on in the pack since the power button isn't recessed or anything. Now I've taken to pulling the batteries while in transit. I do wish it was faster at locking on to the sats.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx loaded with free topo maps from gpsfiledpot.com that works very well. Used judiciously a pair of lithium batteries will run it for a week.

One of the maps I have installed is called "My Trails" and so far has had every trail I've hiked but one on it - it does include the entire AT I believe.

Note: "My Trails" is not perfect and there are some notable gaps in it but from what I can gather there isn't any such thing as a great pre-programmed GPS file loaded with trails - they all seem to have some sort of deficiency of some kind. The topo maps however are spot on.

Journal Entries
    Images

To avoid getting lost you must get "dirt time" with map and compass (and GPS if you desire) BEFORE you go on a thur hike. Become an "expert" on navigation via the map and compass. Again, it is my belief that many thru hikers think "I'll learn that on the trail". I believe it is best done before the hitting trail. I read that one hiker said that he/she spent on average 2 hours a day figuring out where he/she was (he was hiking CDT). I see this as something that can be prevented if one becomes real familiar with navigation via map and compass and use of gps along with them.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    To avoid getting lost you must get "dirt time" with map and compass (and GPS if you desire) BEFORE you go on a thur hike. Become an "expert" on navigation via the map and compass. Again, it is my belief that many thru hikers think "I'll learn that on the trail". I believe it is best done before the hitting trail. I read that one hiker said that he/she spent on average 2 hours a day figuring out where he/she was (he was hiking CDT). I see this as something that can be prevented if one becomes real familiar with navigation via map and compass and use of gps along with them.
    Amen. Work out what you're going to do BEFORE you have to depend on it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I used my phone's GPS feature when I wandered off trail in MD. It showed where I was relative to the forest boundary and roads. And using this info and my map I was able to road walk back to the trail. How ever I don't think a stand alone GPS is something I'd take as most I think wouldn't have long enough battery life to stay on for a multiday hike.
    Stand alone GPS have 18 hours that's two days! then you switch to the next set of lithium batteries...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++