WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do you guys think of the ULA Catalyst backpack?

I'm a bigger guy, on the upwards of 300lbs. So finding a light pack to fit me is pretty hard. I have a 44" waist, and a 23" torso which make things even more difficult. How is this pack as far as load transfer goes? Is the frame reliable or is it going to give out on me? Another option I was looking at is the Granite Gear Vapor Flash, or the Meridian Vapor. Do you guys know anything about those?

Thanks ahead of time!

Images

You can try on the ULA Packs at Neels Gap, just up the road. I know they stock the Circuit, and I'm pretty sure they have the Catalyst. Both packs have interchangeable hip belts and several different torso sizes, so there is a pretty good chance you'll be able to find a combo that fits well.

The ULA packs are well made, and the Catalyst will carry 35 pounds without issue.

Not sure the Vapor packs will take different hip belts.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The Catalyst has an excellent reputation and the company that makes it has support that's as good as can be found anywhere.

Everyone in my family that hikes has a Catalyst (I have 2, wore my first one out).

It's a big pack and it seems like some kind of natural law that says you'll take exactly as much as your pack will hold so have a look at the smaller Circuit too as mentioned by Bigcranky.

Good luck!

^^ Amen to that.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Big pack

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Blazed View Post
    I'm a bigger guy, on the upwards of 300lbs. So finding a light pack to fit me is pretty hard. I have a 44" waist, and a 23" torso which make things even more difficult. How is this pack as far as load transfer goes? Is the frame reliable or is it going to give out on me? Another option I was looking at is the Granite Gear Vapor Flash, or the Meridian Vapor. Do you guys know anything about those?Thanks ahead of time!

I'd go w/ the GRANITE GEAR
    i hike with the GG Vapor Trail...now discontinued

see ya'll out there for my annual 2 week section hike...May 28-June 12
    this year: DWG...NoBo...to Kent,CT
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

The Catalyst is an outstanding pack from an outstanding company. Yes, it's a larger pack, but it sure rides well.

Just because you are big doesn't mean you have to try to fill a big pack up. Yes it must fit. The Catalyst is huge. Go for it if that's what you want and need. 10-K is right on in that if you have extra space you WILL fill this space. That's fine if that's what YOU want. Just sayin. Most( or a lot anyway) find the Circuit is adequate in size.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Mine is too big for most of what I do. I use my Circuit much more often. And it's really too big also. The both carry very well. Great company, made in Utah. What more can you ask for?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Default Love mine.

I am 6'3", 250 lbs, 38" waist. I have the XL pack and a large belt, with plenty of room. It is a big pack, but I can stuff my under quilt and bag in with out having to pack them down. The pack rides great. ULA has great service. You won't be disappointed with it.

Images

ULA fantastic packs, drawstring tops.... Granite Gear packs usually have zippers and stretchy material (both gave out on me).... I'd definitely go with the ULA.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely leaning more towards the ULA now! It was really stumping me because all of the packs listed where in the same weight category. The ULA definitely holding more then both of the GG's listed. I was going to get the XL torso, as well as the XL hipbelt... And both companies offer those. Do you guys know of any more packs made for a bigger guy?

Also, are all of the ULA pack custom made and durable?

Yes, all of ULA packs are hand made and extremely durable. I don't think I have ever seen someone post about a ULA ruck and something being wrong with it. I myself own a Catalyst and its now on its second season, WONDERFUL pack.

If I were you, I would call ULA up and talk to him and see what he has to say. Explain your situation and he will be more than happy to help you out with whatever you want/need.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Myself and son both have the Catylist. We have found them to be comfortable and well balanced. Also as far as room it has a built in limiter when you don't want to use the whole pack.

As far as service- My son who is thru hiking and I happened to be doing a section with him had some tearing at the seam. He called while on top of brushy mtn(which there are many in VA). They asked his next town destination and would send him a loaner and he could ship his back for repair. Then exchange at the next town. Instead we chose to send his for repair and he borrowed mine.

I wanted to pack my catalyst in suitcase so they offered the option to make the back stay so I could remove it and collapse it. With the stay removed the pack rolls up nicely and worked out well for the trip.

Its hard to justify buying a name brand pack most likely made in Vietnam, when ULA offers better quality for roughly the same price. Since they mostly sell direct, they dont have to put the ridiculous markups on them that typical retailers add.

Call them. That's the coolest thing about buying a product that is Made in the USA. You call, the owner answers.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I talked to Chris today, he said that he would be more than happy to set me up with the right pack. I actually think that I'm going to go for the Circuit, it weighs less and still has ample space. Do you guys know much about the Circuit? Is it a pretty popular pack?

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Mine is too big for most of what I do. I use my Circuit much more often. And it's really too big also. The both carry very well. Great company, made in Utah. What more can you ask for?
    Can't remember the last time I used my Catalyst. Maybe if I was going out for 7-10 days. This will, however, depend on the rest of your gear. I don't have much that is big, bulky, heavy, or synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Can't remember the last time I used my Catalyst. Maybe if I was going out for 7-10 days. This will, however, depend on the rest of your gear. I don't have much that is big, bulky, heavy, or synthetic.
    See I do. Most of my stuff weights more simply because it takes much more fabric to create the product. I went out on a three day trip a couple of weekends ago, and my overall weight was 33.2 pounds which isn't bad, but for what little I took, you could take and it would probably be in the 20s.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I have finally found the pack of my life, you know, the one that makes me smile rather than wince. The ULA Catalyst is perfect for me.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I have both Catalyst and Circuit. Used the Catalyst on my AT thru last year. The Circuit is what I now carry on most trips. I'll use the Catalyst again for the John Muir this year because of the Bear canister.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++