WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Well, with all the great feed back from you guys I order my first ULA Circuit backpack. I got it with the XL hipbelt, and the XL torso. I hope that it works. :/ I measured myself at a 23" but someone else measured me at a 25". So lets hope that it works, if not I'll send it back and get the large.

Thanks a lot guys!

Images

You know they stock the ULA packs at the outfitter at Neels Gap, right up the road from you, right?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Haha, I did know that but I didn't think that they would have the one that I needed so I just went ahead and ordered it. I probably should have went up there though. :/

I think you will love a ULA pack. I got a Catalyst about three years ago, and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by conmcb25 View Post
    I think you will love a ULA pack. I got a Catalyst about three years ago, and I love it.
    Awesome. I'm hoping that I will. Chris seems to be super nice about everything. I sent him another email wondering if I could change my order because he seems to be dead set that I need a large back rather than an xlarge bag. So I don't know, hoping for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Blazed View Post
    Well, with all the great feed back from you guys I order my first ULA Circuit backpack. I got it with the XL hipbelt, and the XL torso. I hope that it works. :/ I measured myself at a 23" but someone else measured me at a 25". So lets hope that it works, if not I'll send it back and get the large.

Thanks a lot guys!
    First off, you DO NOT have a 25 inch torso!

It's highly unlikely you have a 23 inch torso, but possible in theory (very rare)

Simply by reading your earlier post, I would say you are probably closer to 20-21 inches...get to a shop and do this right, you cannot measure your own torso, it doesn't work...and clearly your friend is little help.

Get into a decent shop, you are probably right around 21 inches, how tall are you and what's your inseam? I know you said 300 lbs, I'm assuming that's not muscle right? How 'overweight' are you? This always happens with heavier people, nearly always.

Awesome. I'm hoping that I will. Chris seems to be super nice about everything. I sent him another email wondering if I could change my order because he seems to be dead set that I need a large back rather than an xlarge bag. So I don't know, hoping for the best!
    The above poster is probably correct, get yourself measured at a backpack shop, that has the gizmo to do so.

Take Chris's advice is my advice. I was exactly at a measurement inbetween two sizes (Its been three years so I can remember the exact details), and I called him up and said hey which size should I order, and he edidn't even hesitate and told me to get the opposite of what I assumed. I took his advice and the pack fits just great, Ive carried close to 30 lbs in it with no problems what so ever.

But I did go to a backpack shop and get measured. I highly recommend that.

See, I have been measured. REI measured me at a 19" torso, and a local outfitter measured me at a 25" but said that a 23" would fit me best, and when I measured myself (with help of course) got a 23" torso. But Chris said that it was too late on changing my order but when I get the pack to load it up and take a picture and he would tell me if it fits or not.

I'm 6'2" and my inseam in 30". I used to be obese, according to the BMI scale, but since I've lost weight I'm now in the overweight category. I'm thinking that I should have went with the large to begin with. A lot of people that measure big people are afraid to dig in and find where the hip bone is to fit it perfectly. Mine sets on my stomach now.

See, I have been measured. REI measured me at a 19" torso, and a local outfitter measured me at a 25" but said that a 23" would fit me best, and when I measured myself (with help of course) got a 23" torso. But Chris said that it was too late on changing my order but when I get the pack to load it up and take a picture and he would tell me if it fits or not.

I'm 6'2" and my inseam in 30". I used to be obese, according to the BMI scale, but since I've lost weight I'm now in the overweight category. I'm thinking that I should have went with the large to begin with. A lot of people that measure big people are afraid to dig in and find where the hip bone is to fit it perfectly. Mine sets on my stomach now.
    Absolutely correct...people are afraid to dig in and find your hipbone crest, which is generally only and inch or two below the bottom of your ribcage.

If you a 6'2 it's very, very unlikely you are longer than about 20 inches, the 19 inches sounds alot closer than the 23 or 25!

Simply put, there are very, very, very, very few adult males that have a torso length over 19.5 inches...very, very, very few. I've fit thousands of people over the years, the amount of 20 inch torso's I've seen are quite rare, and without question...the heavier the person the less accurate the mesurement, atleast with men, women carry weight differently so it doesnt' affect their hips the same way.

Anyone reading this who thinks their torso is longer than 19.5 inches, it's probably not, you have been measured wrong...unless you have abnormally short legs or are over 6'6

Buyer Beware

So more than likely I'll be sending my pack back to get the large. But either way I'm looking forward to it! ULA is awesome! But I'm gla you guys really know what your talking about. I think 20" or 21" would be better bit we'll see. Thanks guys!

Here are some videos of me packing my Circuit and wearing it.

ULA Circuit
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

We guys are always adding inches.

lol

Images

I'm looking hard at these. Are there multiple interior compartments or is it one large sack?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm looking hard at these. Are there multiple interior compartments or is it one large sack?
    Its a alpine style pack with one large compartment.But it has plenty of room. You cant go wrong with ULA..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Thanks, Oz and The Elf say the samething........as folks that have walked with me know......I ain't no ULer.....I need the space!

Images

As I said in text Coach.
    I love ULA but do not carry more than recommended loads in them!
    You do NOT have an UL reputation so I would find it difficult to recommend one to you.
    I would say more than 36lb in the Circuit and 38lb in the Catalyst on a regular basis would make them a bad choice.
    Those weights are ok for the first day out of town but by next morning you would need to be below them.
    They can also be sweaty on lower back and Osprey have better ventilation if that concerns you.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    They can also be sweaty on lower back and Osprey have better ventilation if that concerns you.
    I have a Circuit. Although I do not find ventilation to be an issue while hiking, the back panel of the pack takes on a very strong scent after a couple of days on the trail because it soaks up the sweat. This is particularly noticeable when the humidity is high and nothing dries out. When I get back from a trip, I spray the back panel with febreze which gets rid of the scent. I don't want to risk washing the pack more than I have to.

Otherwise I love the Circuit.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    As I said in text Coach.
    I love ULA but do not carry more than recommended loads in them!
    You do NOT have an UL reputation so I would find it difficult to recommend one to you.
    I would say more than 36lb in the Circuit and 38lb in the Catalyst on a regular basis would make them a bad choice.
    Those weights are ok for the first day out of town but by next morning you would need to be below them.
    My Osprey is fine for the summer. Come late fall and winter it does not leave much room after my WM Puma goes in, or when I'm hiking with Overload and I have most of the cook kit and food.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    My Osprey is fine for the summer. Come late fall and winter it does not leave much room after my WM Puma goes in, or when I'm hiking with Overload and I have most of the cook kit and food.
    Lou, i dont know if the catalyst would be any larger than your osprey. When they quote the volume of ULA packs they include the volume of the main compartment, as well as all of the external pockets, which makes it a bit of an apples to oranges comparison vs packs that have most of their volume in the one main pocket.

It's still a great pack but i dont know that it would hold all of your winter gear.

I have the same problem in the winter, which is why i still take my old gregory pack whenever I bring my zero degree bag.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 07-30-2013 at 09:02.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Thanks Dave, I will see Ozs and Daniels this weekend, maybe even carry it! The issue is my WM, it's huge, and now that I have the Neo it goes inside to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++