WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default here are my biggest annoyances on trails..what are yours?

1) Getting to a shelter or mountain top and someone is talking on their cell phone. UGH... Can't you be out of touch for even a few days? Easily cell phones are one of the most awful diabolical inventions ever!

2) Mosquitos are anything that buzzez and flies all around my face

3) DOGS. They don't have the courtesy of people, many bark inscessently at shelters and I personally dont think pets have a place in the back country. People and wildlife Period. Dogs are not wildlife. In fact they seriously reduces a hikers chance of seeing wildlife.

4) People who race through the scenery doing marathon speed hikes. What the hell is the rush? You are just going to be hurried when you get back to life as well. For god sakes learn to take it easy and enjoy where you are. Way too many americans are constantly hurried trying to do twice as much in half the time. It is a major illness in our society and country. Some one who completes the Long Trail in five days or the Appalachian trail in 3 months as an example..may have macho bragging rights but surely is not a necessarily a better person for it and probably did not enjoy the present as much as others as he was always hurrying to get somewhere else example..flyin brian robinson ...triple crown in one year. Did he ever enjoy the company of others (who could keep up?) or the solitude and unspoiled wilderness (he hardly ever stopped as he had to race through it.

If anything here offends..well i am sorry.. but its my two cents!

David

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

4) People who race through the scenery doing marathon speed hikes. What the hell is the rush? You are just going to be hurried when you get back to life as well. For god sakes learn to take it easy and enjoy where you are. Way too many americans are constantly hurried trying to do twice as much in half the time. It is a major illness in our society and country. Some one who completes the Long Trail in five days or the Appalachian trail in 3 months as an example..may have macho bragging rights but surely is not a necessarily a better person for it and probably did not enjoy the present as much as others as he was always hurrying to get somewhere else example..flyin brian robinson ...triple crown in one year. Did he ever enjoy the company of others (who could keep up?) or the solitude and unspoiled wilderness (he hardly ever stopped as he had to race through it.
    I'm annoyed by people being annoyed by things like this. Then I stop and take a deep breath and let it pass. None of it means anything, we all walk different paces and live different lives. You take your steps they'll take thiers, hopefully the steps won't be on each others toes.

In closing I'de like to add, HYOH hippie!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Nothing annoys me. I'm all accepting, all loving. Hike your own hike yo. Peace.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Yeah, keep on the sunny side of life.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    You're coming along real fine. Here, breathe deep (passing the bong).

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHhiker
    1) 4) People who race through the scenery doing marathon speed hikes. What the hell is the rush? You are just going to be hurried when you get back to life as well. For god sakes learn to take it easy and enjoy where you are. Way too many americans are constantly hurried trying to do twice as much in half the time. It is a major illness in our society and country. Some one who completes the Long Trail in five days or the Appalachian trail in 3 months as an example..may have macho bragging rights but surely is not a necessarily a better person for it and probably did not enjoy the present as much as others as he was always hurrying to get somewhere else example..flyin brian robinson ...triple crown in one year. Did he ever enjoy the company of others (who could keep up?) or the solitude and unspoiled wilderness (he hardly ever stopped as he had to race through it.
    I won't say this annoys me, but I do admit I just don't understand it. How can one enjoy the experience if one is flying though it? Oh well - HYOH and I'll hike mine!

--John

Smile

Some days are just perfect; the Trail gently undulates, you are miles away from the hassle of cat needing to go to the vet, the truck needing servicing and the bedroom you should have painted last week. There are no bugs and the weather is just slightly cool with sunny skies. You clip off a 25 miler and around the corner appears the Partnership Shelter with its hot shower and a freshly filled magic box of goodies.

The ANNOYING thing about the Trail: Why are those days so, so rare?

Professional Delivery Boy Emeritus Belew's Avatar
    Images

In 15 years of hiking I guess I've been annoyed once. It was bound to happen some day,right? I blew out my knee three days into my section hike last Summer on Blood Mountain. Even then everything was falling together with great rhythm and I learned to go with the flow. I think I'll make it this year.

Images

The only time I was slightly annoyed was at Peck's Corner shelter. It was pouring down rain so everyone was huddled in the shelter. There were 7 Boy Scouts in the shelter which was cool... but one of the scouts had a shrieking loud voice and despite his leaders pleads he just couldn't keep it down. Once it got dark they all went to sleep...and all was quiet.
    Camich

Images

I don't like shelters, they annoy me.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Let's burn the muthas down Rock!

Chafing annoys me. I guess if I didn't eat so much, my thighs wouldn't rub together.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Sounds like a plan! I think on my thru I'll carry some magnesium trip flairs and set fire to the lot of them. Nomore loud boy scouts, snoring folks, dogs, smokers, or cell phone users to bug me at them anymore!
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Long Trail '04
    Images

I hate those southern conservative gun-totin' thru-hikers with long beards...

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Can we fill the shelter with Hippies first?
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Journal Entries
    Images

1. Not being able to tell whether that woodpecker was a blackbacked, or three toed-- I need the 3-toed for my life list.

2. Hearing a hoot outside my tent and only having a Tika

3. Cheap, foggy binoculars like mine

You know what I dislike? When people use the word "hippy" in a negative way like talking about burning them along with the shelters. I don't even really know what a "hippy" is, but it always seems negative. These days anyone with long hair and dirty feet is called a "hippy". what characteristics makes a person a "hippy"? and why is this bad?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHhiker
    1) Getting to a shelter or mountain top and someone is talking on their cell phone. UGH... Can't you be out of touch for even a few days? Easily cell phones are one of the most awful diabolical inventions ever!
    Funny, that's never been discussed here. What do ya'll think about cellphones?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pothead
    You're coming along real fine. Here, breathe deep (passing the bong).
    mmm..thanks
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default It's been done before

LW-"Let's burn the muthas down Rock!"
    That's been done before. I think it was Don Nelon north of Elk Park that was burned just before I got there and then there was the shelter near the road at Keys Gap that had a big hole burned in the middle of the sleeping platform. I don't know if there were any hippies there when it burned, I know I wasn't .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++