WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

To date I don't know of a single study that proves the above statement or that you aren't even more likely to make it "regurgitate" by grasping it with tweezers. Also no studies that pinpoint exactly how long a tick is on you before you can be or are infected. Those of in the woods know that usually by the time we find a tick he has been on us for several hours already, since most of us check when changing clothes at the end of the day or after leaving a wooded area. So instead of dismissing a idea, evidense in the form of a controlled study is required. There are many examples in medicine where something was assumed to be true only to be proven wrong later when the studies were done. For example for 20-30 years menopausal women were started on hormones to prevent heart disease (since premenopausal women have lower rates so the hormones must be protective) only to be proven later that there was no heart protection and it was actually more dangerous to be on them due to increase in cancers. There are lots more examples where are government agencies have had to backtrack after studies were done.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    Tweezers is the best method, but I have used my fingers, covered of course.
    This is not you thread, btw, it is public. I just don't like it when people give out bad medical advice. It is leaving yourself to open to ridicule and in some states against the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have a problem with the following as well:

You were not just posting a technique you had read, with questions about it.

You asked others to try it, possibly endangering them.

BIG difference.
    In the immortal words of the great SFC Hulka (From the Movie Stirpes) "Lighten' Up Francis"
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    To date I don't know of a single study that proves the above statement or that you aren't even more likely to make it "regurgitate" by grasping it with tweezers. Also no studies that pinpoint exactly how long a tick is on you before you can be or are infected. Those of in the woods know that usually by the time we find a tick he has been on us for several hours already, since most of us check when changing clothes at the end of the day or after leaving a wooded area. So instead of dismissing a idea, evidense in the form of a controlled study is required. There are many examples in medicine where something was assumed to be true only to be proven wrong later when the studies were done. For example for 20-30 years menopausal women were started on hormones to prevent heart disease (since premenopausal women have lower rates so the hormones must be protective) only to be proven later that there was no heart protection and it was actually more dangerous to be on them due to increase in cancers. There are lots more examples where are government agencies have had to backtrack after studies were done.
    So you DO disagree with a "certified Red Cross First Aid Instructor".

And based on what?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The chances of diseases spreading would probably be increased by length of contact. If I get a tick. I try to get it off/ out of me as soon as possible. By whatever means that I have at time. Sierra Echo found a new technique. I really don't think there is really going to be any more of a danger than other procedures. I think the tone used with her is out of line. If people were that concerned about the "proper" way. How do they ever survive out on the trail anyway? I mean it is the woods, you know. Full of germs and nasty little bacteria. I would not be surprised if a many others with more medical knowledge would not prescribe similar methods of tick removal.

Images

I do. Don't worry much some one will disagree with me also. Based on a lack of evidence is why I disagree with a "certified Red Cross First Aid Instructor". Now if this person could point me in the direction a controlled study I could be convinced to change my mind. Evidence based medicine is what I practice and until that evidence is presented I'm not willing to write off the above method. It is my opinion that waiting an additional 30 seconds after a tick has been on you for hours poses such a low risk that it is not worthy of consideration.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Here is a tick removal tool that I have used 100's of times on myself, family and dogs. ://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick I have given them as gifts.
    yea, after watching the video I think this is the best way to go.

Panzer

To those interested in facts, the following may be of interest. For those that don't care, don't bother to click.

WARNING: You may learn something.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

and from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_tickremoval.htm

Remove a tick from your skin as soon as you notice it. Use fine-tipped tweezers to firmly grasp the tick very close to your skin. With a steady motion, pull the tick’s body away from your skin. Then clean your skin with soap and warm water. Throw the dead tick away with your household trash.
    Avoid crushing the tick’s body. Do not be alarmed if the tick’s mouthparts remain in the skin. Once the mouthparts are removed from the rest of the tick, it can no longer transmit the Lyme disease bacteria. If you accidentally crush the tick, clean your skin with soap and warm water or alcohol.
    Don’t use petroleum jelly, a hot match, nail polish, or other products to remove a tick.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 04-25-2011 at 23:32.

Covered on White Blaze back in 2007:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=372351

Images

So instead of dismissing a idea, evidense in the form of a controlled study is required.
    Well I guess you could get yourself a nice fat tick, place it on a piece of white paper, and cover the tick with liquid soap. Then watch to see if it regurgitates on the paper. If it does regurgitate I'm guessing you should be able to see the regurgitation on the white paper.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Well I guess you could get yourself a nice fat tick, place it on a piece of white paper, and cover the tick with liquid soap. Then watch to see if it regurgitates on the paper. If it does regurgitate I'm guessing you should be able to see the regurgitation on the white paper.

Panzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I say the next person who gets a tick should try it out and report back:

jesus. some people have a tick up their ass.

first, if you believe everything snopes says, you're an idiot.
    second, just because you're a certified red cross instructor, doesn't mean anything. except you have a piece of paper somewhere. go beat your drum in your own room. it's giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

Panzer
    Actually, that's kind of interesting. What you could do is get something that a tick will bite ("drill") into and then test all the removal theories and see if the container has regurgitated contents. Kind of like how we "milk" spiders; of course this would require a completly different method to get the tick to drill into whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post

second, just because you're a certified red cross instructor, doesn't mean anything. except you have a piece of paper somewhere. go beat your drum in your own room. it's giving me a headache.
    Geez people.

Is the CDC not a good enough source either?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Well if you don't like my threat then stop posting in it!! Why are people on here so dense?
    above is the only comment i find out of line.......different thoughts and opinions are what this site is all about......if you post here don't get your panties in a wad if folks disagree.....take what you like and disregard the rest
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post

+1 blah blah
    I am not young enough to know everything.

If I sounded out of line, it is because this thread has been going around the internet for a few years. That is why it is confirmed as false on snopes, and I always check sources (even snopes for those skeptics) before I spread anymore false rumors. This always starts as I heard from a "pediatrician, nurse, pest control website" but never names the said source. I am just sharing what I have heard from the CDC, Red Cross, and other health care sources that the method described is NOT recommended. You can take that any way you want, but please don't spread rumors as fact, esp. in cases where someone might follow your ill advised advice. I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be, but I do have 30 years of experience as an EMT and Red Cross Instructor, unless you are a doctor and health care provider, you should not give MEDICAL instructions on the internet or in person unless you have the license to do so. That is all I will say on this matter, argue all you want, but the moderators should take this thread down if it continues.

Images

In case your wondering the name doc in this case is short for Dr. as in Medical Doctor. My point remains the same don't poo poo other ideas withut some data to back it up. Citing other opinions whether from cdc, red cross or snopes is just repeating their opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions everybody has one.

If I sounded out of line, it is because this thread has been going around the internet for a few years. That is why it is confirmed as false on snopes, and I always check sources (even snopes for those skeptics) before I spread anymore false rumors. This always starts as I heard from a "pediatrician, nurse, pest control website" but never names the said source. I am just sharing what I have heard from the CDC, Red Cross, and other health care sources that the method described is NOT recommended. You can take that any way you want, but please don't spread rumors as fact, esp. in cases where someone might follow your ill advised advice. I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be, but I do have 30 years of experience as an EMT and Red Cross Instructor, unless you are a doctor and health care provider, you should not give MEDICAL instructions on the internet or in person unless you have the license to do so. That is all I will say on this matter, argue all you want, but the moderators should take this thread down if it continues.
    I've been in the medical profession for 30 years myself. While ticks are not in my field, I know bad advice when I see it.

I have to dispel Old Wives Tales EVERY DANG DAY, so my tolerance for bad information is somewhat low. My tolerance for those that don't accept info from a credible source, such as the CDC, is ever lower.

The facts are (from the CDC and TONS of other sites) is that the technique in the OP is BAD and can actually harm you. In other words: DON'T DO IT.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 04-26-2011 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    In case your wondering the name doc in this case is short for Dr. as in Medical Doctor. My point remains the same don't poo poo other ideas withut some data to back it up. Citing other opinions whether from cdc, red cross or snopes is just repeating their opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions everybody has one.
    Interesting. An MD that blows off the CDC........

Nothing more to add there.

Images

If I sounded out of line ...
    You sounded out of line b/c you were overharsh. It's fine, imo, to pish posh the idea, but not to be so severe, rudely, imo, with another poster. She was introducing an idea she found interesting, is all. Biting her head off was not called for - you came off like a bully.

I appreciate your desire to safeguard public health from bad ideas, and I certainly give heed to the Red Cross and the CDC. But ask yourself two things:

1. How many people are going to run off and try this idea b/c someone says "I say the next person who gets a tick should try this." Really? Certainly not I.

2. Might you trap more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Manners are important. Common courtesy. Diplomacy. Call it what you will: you're smart - you get the point, I think. Good day.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++