WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am doing this section over a three day period with three of my kids at the end of this month. How is the water situation? I also read that there are no privies in this section. Is this corect? I hiked the eastern Smokies several years ago, and I remember there being privies at most if not all of the shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHoosier View Post
    I am doing this section over a three day period with three of my kids at the end of this month. How is the water situation? I also read that there are no privies in this section. Is this corect? I hiked the eastern Smokies several years ago, and I remember there being privies at most if not all of the shelters.
    All water sources should be running fine this time of year. You'll be on the main crest of the Smokies though so water will always be downhill and sometimes a bit of a walk off trail. There are no privies that I remember and the "toilet areas" at the shelters are places to definitely avoid.

Doable, get reservations. Double Spring and Mollies are decent shelters. Good haul from DS to Mollies as mentioned. Take time to climb the tower on Shuckstack if weather permits. Park at FD and shuttle. Most shuttle prices are per trip, not per person. Having said that, there are probably some people who charge per head, but I have not found this to be the case.

Default Alternative to GSMNP hike

Consider instead a 34 mile trip from the north end of GSMNP to Hot Springs, NC. You can start at Standing Bear Farm hostel, leave your vehicle there, and hike north [or start at Hot Springs and go south, leaving your car with the folks at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in HS]. Hot Springs has great places to eat -- particularly the Smoky Mountain Diner, being a trail town -- along with the outfitter; they can also arrange a shuttle for you as well as Curtis at Standing Bear.

The trip over this section of the AT will include passing over Max Patch bald with its incredible views, a rhododendron tunnel, old shelters, etc.

I have used "Walk in the Woods" twice and never had any problems. Maybae you will see some bears at Tricorner Knob. You and your group will enjoy this hike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++