WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Miles per Day

I ma not a runner but your planned route has some very rocky sections including the infamous PA rocks. There are a lot of runners in the whites that have no issues with rocks, but they tend to be stationary. PA rocks seem to be "bred" to be unstable leading to very unstable footing no matter what speed you are running. From Southern PA to WV (really to Springer), the trail is predominately old woods roads so I expect you would have no issues with your mileage assuming the PA, and to slighly lesser extent NJ and NY rocks dont cause an injury.

Default Cheers

Great advice. I think I'll start off doing around 15mi/day. I'm leaving CT on June 3rd and hoping to arrive in Harpers Ferry by July 2nd or 3rd for a July 4th celebration with relatives. I just did an 18mi hike in moderate terrain, and while I was sore the next day (and I can't attest to how I'd feel after a week or so of those) I felt pretty good.

Skid - Thanks for the advice on getting a few miles in after dinner. It's not a bad idea, especially if I find we're wanting an early rest. I'm planning to break out the stove for breakfast and dinner (and maybe a fire if permitted), and eat a cold lunch.

Dogwood - Thanks for the advice! I'm used to running everyday (minimum usually around 10-11mi, with a weekly long run at 20mi), so I think I have the stamina for a daily hike, but I see where you and others are coming from with cautioning against converting running stamina to hiking.

I'll be trying to keep it light! I'm using the Kelty Coyote 80,
    bringing 2x Nalgene 1L bottles and a 2L camel pack (partner will be bringing similar),
    2.5lb Kelty mummy bag,
    stove + isopro fuel
    REI Passage 2 tent (5 lbs. 5 oz.)
    less than 1lb cookware
    Clothing (shorts, dry-wick pants, 3xsocks, 3xdry-fit shirts)
    food (planning for 5500 calories/day)
    And more! That's all the heavy stuff I can think of off the bat.

Thanks all for the help and advice! These forums are great!

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by deafinmyleft View Post
    I just did an 18mi hike in moderate terrain, and while I was sore the next day (and I can't attest to how I'd feel after a week or so of those) I felt pretty good.

Dogwood - Thanks for the advice! I'm used to running everyday (minimum usually around 10-11mi, with a weekly long run at 20mi), so I think I have the stamina for a daily hike, but I see where you and others are coming from with cautioning against converting running stamina to hiking.
    But it was a "good sore", right? IMO the first morning would be the worst. After that I'm guessing you are golden as long as you listen to your body.

I'm 52. I struggle early on a section hike (coming from flat-land Illinois) but by the end of a week's trip I feel great. Looking forward to seeing what happens on trips longer than one week.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

It was a great sore! One that would go away given a few miles walk

I agree that running isn't the best preparation for long distance hiking, but it helps, no doubt about it.

If you lack the resources to train properly, ie a local trail with decent elevation changes, I find treadmill running/walking, and walking stairs with a pack all help out quite a bit.

Also, CT to W. VA is a fairly easy section with some exceptions in NY near Harriman where there are some short, sharp climbs and some rocky bits, NJ is a fairly easy state but rocky in many places, and PA is by far the easiest state in my opinion, especially after the rocks chill out a few miles out of Port Clinton (heading south).

I hiked the mid-atlantic from Waynesboro to NY, about 500 miles and I never carried more than 4 days of food, there are heaps of places to resupply, long easy ridgewalks, etc...

Final note, educate yourself about Lyme Disease and make sure you use Permethrin or something to avoid those ticks, it's called Lyme Disease cause it was originally found in Lyme, CT. And ticks are most prevalent along the mid-atlantic states.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++