WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bigelow Fire Tower Burned by Maine Forest Service

Whenever I went by this firetower it was locked tight but it had been reported that some AT folks had stayed in it. It would have been a great place to camp with 360 degree views but real exposed in nasty weather.

http://www.theirregular.com/news/201...er_burned.html

The state had used it to house a radio repeater for many years.

Where does it say the Forest Service burned it?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

This article doesnt say it. I got this from viewsfromthetop.com and there is a subsequent post that this was a planned burn. I had seen a notive somewhere previously that its fate had been decided last year.

Here is the thread

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=40221

Images

The forest service uses satellites now to spot fires. The old towers are nice for getting views. I'm sure some folks would disagree, but, IMO, I wish they would clear some of the growth from some of these towers. Particularly Camp Creek Bald and Rich Mountain down south. The trees are growing and blocking the view. (I know, how inconsiderate of the trees to do that.) That wouldn't be too uncalled for on Camp Creek since it was formerly a Bald.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    This article doesnt say it. I got this from viewsfromthetop.com and there is a subsequent post that this was a planned burn. I had seen a notice somewhere previously that its fate had been decided last year.

Here is the thread

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=40221
    Thanks, Peakbagger. I went right over to VFTT after reading your thread It's always been great resource!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Looks like I should edit the title to the Bureau of Public Lands vs MFS

Journal Entries

The irregular says the warden's cabin was a third of a mile from the tower. the caption on the photo of the cabin claims it's 3 miles from the tower. A third of a mile is correct.

I once planned a traverse of the Bigelow Range with another group. We left from Stratton on Saturday. They left from the Long Falls Dam Road on the opposite side of the 17 mile-long Bigelow Range on Friday. The plan was to exchange car keys when we met at Horns Pond on Bigelow.

Well Saturday opened with heavy rains, thunder and lightning. We hung around until noon and then started up the trail, reaching Horns Pond after crossing Cranberry Peak with lightning flashing all around. The other party was no where to be seen. No notes. Nothing.

Up early the next morning we pushed on to the shelters that then were at Avery Col. No hikers. No messages. We didn't want to end up on the Long Falls Dam Road with no car, so we escaped down the fire warden's trail and hitched back to Stratton, arriving about 10 p.m.

Only to find my car had disappeared. I called my wife. She said the other party had broken into the fire tower on Avery Peak to escape the storm and figuring we wouldn't have started in the heavy rain, walked back to their car and driven home. They called my home to relay the tale of their adventures.

My wife told them we were on the trail, probably looking for them. So they drove to Stratton. Jump started my car and drove it to the LOng Falls Dam Road where they figured I would find it.

So there we were. Stranded in Stratton at 10 oclock at night. With a car 60 road miles away on the other side of the mountain range.

What to do? Well I called Duluth Wing. For 10 bucks he made the 120 mile round trip. I found my car. And drove to Portland and work, arriving about 7 a.m. Monday morning.

The point of this long story. Duluth sent a bill to the other hikers to pay for damages to the fire tower, that sadly is now no longer there.
    Last edited by weary; 04-22-2011 at 11:15.

Images

I am glad I got to see the tower last year. It was a beautiful Sunday and I had a great reststop wondering what it would have been like to be stationed there durimg a storm. Must have felt like you were part of it. All of Maine is nice, but for the southbound hiker, the Bigelows are met with much anticipation, not all of it comforting.

++ New Posts ++